2018 Campbell River Reports

Out last night, green can to hump, absolutely gorgeous out. No wind, bait all over the surface, being chased by what I assume were Coho. Managed a 19 released 2 in the 12 range and kept a 16, numerous hits and lost 2. Great night to be on the water.

I picked up a few things at the tackle shack yesterday.
View attachment 38558
I love those Shimano Flat Side jigs...on the bigger ones, I snip the nose of a glow hoochie (I usually try to color match) and thread the hoochie onto it. Let me know how you do with the King Kandy...I haven't tried it yet but with the scent chamber in it, I'm sure it'll be a winner. They are super popular south of the border...

Attachments

• Butterfly Jig Flat Side.jpg
    Butterfly Jig Flat Side.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 112
Hey there have been lots of boats out lately....whats been happening out there, I haven't here much from CR......I hoping to get out this weekend. Wondering if any one has been to sentry shoal sense it reopened. At least I think it reopened......dont worry I will check before i go!

Hey there have been lots of boats out lately....whats been happening out there, I haven't here much from CR......I hoping to get out this weekend. Wondering if any one has been to sentry shoal sense it reopened. At least I think it reopened......dont worry I will check before i go!
Sentry Shoal re-opened July 1st. I heard there are fish there. Further north the green can area has been good.

Out this morning, 8 coho 1 hatchery and 3 undersize springs. Near scallop farm back side of Quadra. Green flasher and the old faithful UV army truck.

acres and acres of coho right now 80-120’ if targeting them consider a single hook setup. i messed up quite a few “wilds” last couple days with my tandem hooks. i hate this stupid rule so much. there are a lot of happy seagulls getting easy meals out there right now...

acres and acres of coho right now 80-120’ if targeting them consider a single hook setup. i messed up quite a few “wilds” last couple days with my tandem hooks. i hate this stupid rule so much. there are a lot of happy seagulls getting easy meals out there right now...

Great suggestion ☝️

Just tied all my hoochies with single hook. Couple beads to place the hook back a bit - hopefully works for releasing cohos...and still get a Chinook in the boat! Agree it’s a stupid rule, irresponsible really.

+1 on the Coho comment. Had my dad out fishing yesterday morning between the red buoy and the hump, bait everywhere, and couldn't even get the 2nd downrigger down before the other side had one on. 50' down at 530am then switched to 100' around 730am. Couldn't keep them off the line. Lost around 6, put 11 wild to the boat with one keeper hatchery. Didn't change the setup all morning... Blue grand slam hoochie with a blue mountain dew flasher, other side was a clear cracked glass UV flasher and a clear UV haze hoochie/glow stripe with a mylar insert. We had a blast.

Has anyone fished up north of the narrows recently? (although it doesn't sound like its necessary to go any further than out front!!)

+1 on the Coho comment. Had my dad out fishing yesterday morning between the red buoy and the hump, bait everywhere, and couldn't even get the 2nd downrigger down before the other side had one on. 50' down at 530am then switched to 100' around 730am. Couldn't keep them off the line. Lost around 6, put 11 wild to the boat with one keeper hatchery. Didn't change the setup all morning... Blue grand slam hoochie with a blue mountain dew flasher, other side was a clear cracked glass UV flasher and a clear UV haze hoochie/glow stripe with a mylar insert. We had a blast.

What size was the blue Grand Slam Bucktail? Also, what length leader were you using? Thanks!!

Howard

Back