2018 Winter Harbour Reports

I am looking around for one of those deep release trigger devices..... last year the Yellow Eye were so plentiful.... it was hard watching and waiting for them to go down.... usually by they time they drifted away... we never knew if they went down or not. Any ideas?
If you search on amazon (fish release) you'll find a stainless steel one that is very easy to duplicate. Since you use a downrigger to send the fish back down. You'll know how deep you are when you pull the release back up. Works very well. A fish release is Manditory in US waters now for any bladder fish.

Well done fellas! Thanks for the great report, and intel! Heading out there in 4 more days, for 6 days. Will report back as well.
Very good report! I'm headed up late this month and it's my first time in winter harbour. Excited about the trip this year. I'll not be going to Rivers Inlet this year and winters harbour has been on the radar for a few years. Here we go!

Fished cliff point last week and was hot at times , heard it was slow off shore by a guy or two when there

Very good report! I'm headed up late this month and it's my first time in winter harbour. Excited about the trip this year. I'll not be going to Rivers Inlet this year and winters harbour has been on the radar for a few years. Here we go!
Good luck Norman see yah up there were heading up on the 28th for 5 days first time for us as well

Good couple of trips up in WH lately. Nothing on fire for us but still got our limits each day. Grants & Lippy were the best places for salmon for us. Heard Cliff was producing in the mornings though. Anchovies with or without flashers was our day 1 set up, then brown turd & anchovy on day 2. Coho are around as well though they are on the smaller side compared to the ones around earlier in our trip. Add some lings & hali in the mix and was a good trip. Had great weather which made things a lot more accessible. The seaquilizer worked great at releasing yellow eyes back down. Of the dozen or so we caught, only 1 floated back up. Freezer is nearing capacity.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. Thanks for all the reports. I'm heading to WH on Sunday,will be my second time going. Was wondering about grant bay and Lippy any insite would be great. Not looking for secret spots or anything. Also I have a 21' boat would we be ok out there
Thanks!

Friends and I will make it to the Outpost on Monday the 16th. We are hoping to hit the outside in 16' boats. Weather forecast is too windy so far...Does anyone know what days the store is open?

Friends and I will make it to the Outpost on Monday the 16th. We are hoping to hit the outside in 16' boats. Weather forecast is too windy so far...Does anyone know what days the store is open?
12-7pm. Tons of gear and supplies in there.

Thanks for the info will be at winter harbour marina. 21' Calais see you out there.

Well the days are clicking away and I'm getting excited about making the trip up the WH on the 28th, for 6 days. Am of course hoping for fare weather and seas. But will take what we get. Looking forward to just being there for the first time and getting our fish on! 24' Black North River ( SeaLovers) come say hello if your there.

Okay, I must be excited. I totally forgot to ask a couple questions about WH. Do I need to bring ICE for packing fish? When I did Rivers Inlet it was needed to keep fish. I'm picking up bait in Campbell River, is there freezer space someplace? Or do I need Dry ice? Again this was needed at Rivers to keep your bait tight. Thanks for any help provided.

Okay, I must be excited. I totally forgot to ask a couple questions about WH. Do I need to bring ICE for packing fish? When I did Rivers Inlet it was needed to keep fish. I'm picking up bait in Campbell River, is there freezer space someplace? Or do I need Dry ice? Again this was needed at Rivers to keep your bait tight. Thanks for any help provided.

You can get shaved ice at the old qualicum rivers ice plant. $20 for a big cooler. There’s a bell to ring. Or else you can get it in Port Hardy. Where are you staying up there??

Sea Ice at Campbell River seafoods in Campbelton.

Back