a newbie question about fishing line?

stones93

Sorry to bother you all but I have a newbie question. I have got brand new line and backing on my MR3's last year. They were used motor mooching at Langara almost 1 year ago. The line was put on a week before. It is 30lb test. My question is, after I used it last year my reels wen into their case and have been out of any light but were not cleaned even those they were only used for 4 days. What degrades the line? I pulled it and seemed fine but is it now dried out or brittle or stiff? I am going back to Langara island next week self guided and wonder what people think of the 3 options,

1 suck it up and re-spool it with my favorite line (and wats your favorite for Tyee's)
2 Its ok and should be fine even for a big one
3 have Langara island lodge do it for me for free with their bulk bought line

PS I would really appreciate knowledge on the quality of a 1 year old line only used 4 times!

It's fine. Feel the last 30-50 feet for knicks if you're worried. Reverse it so the bottom is on the top if you're still worried.

I’d be more concerned about putting the reels away in that condition. My 2 cents! Rip that line off, go through your beautiful expensive reels, service them up then spool up your serviced beautiful expensive reels with new line!! Then you will have complete confidence in your equipment!! Then at the end of the season, clean and service your reels (or any equipment that salt has come in contact with) and they will be ready to serve you well next season.

Option 3 is a no brainer for free of coarse, your paying big bucks for the trip what’s a couple more. Save the old line and try selling it on this site like someone tried to do years ago.

Option 3 is a no brainer for free of coarse, your paying big bucks for the trip what’s a couple more. Save the old line and try selling it on this site like someone tried to do years ago.

Selling old line on this forum ...... now that would be funny. Who would do that? Oh wait don't answer that.:rolleyes:

As to what degrades mono fishing line - sunrise, chemicals in the environment.

Spectra line will last 10-15 years. Put a 30ft top shot of 40# mono on the end & change the top shot yearly or sooner if there are any nicks in the line. It's the last 30 ft or so that take the abuse . I use 20# spectra.

Check out www.charkbait.com

i back to front my lines and get 2 full seasons,, why waste.

Back