Nootka boat launch/parking

Tom Gordon

heading to Gold River in several weeks. I’ve never launched there. My boat is 28ft. Any advice from old hands greatly appreciated. Also is there secure parking for a 10 day trip? Do you need advance reservation to park? If so, is there a contact phone number? Thanks for your help.

if you do a search you will find all the answers. Even on the nootka reports this year.:)

lots of parking, there is an attendant working the ramp to get some fees from you, be sure you ready to launch when your get there it is a busy place. Alternating one boat in one boat out .

We’re driving up from Victoria. Do things slow down midday? Just trying to get a sense? It’s just my wife and I so I need to plan ahead. Thanks

You will want to launch in the morning as the inlet is usually calm compared to afternoon. Also try to launch on or close to high tide as it is difficult on low tide and it is shallow up to float plane dock.

If you plan on an afternoon arrival make sure your wife is ok with a bumpy ride up Muchelet. It gets snotty in that inlet...I normally drive up from Victoria..leave at 5am and get there at 9:30 and have the boat in the water and heading up the Inlet by 10am. There are gusts of wind starting even then but still calm.

you will definitely want a medium to high tide with a 28’ boat. It gets breezy for sure in the afternoons but not to worry in a 28 footer unless it is flat bottomed. It is more of a reel tight 1-2 foot chop.

I launched a couple of days ago. I think some sediment has built up around the sea plane base. If I were you, I'd ensure you have at least a 4-5 foot tide to launch. You may get away with less, but, to be sure I'd go with 4-5 feet.

Unless the launch has been extended you won’t get your boat out on low tide as there is a nasty drop but should have no problem launching on a 1-2 ft tide. I’ve come into the Channel to the launch on low tide with no problem. Just stay to the high side. Like I say though you most likely have to wait for a couple foot tide to get your boat out.

Parking on the road was a little cheaper and allowed you to back a trailer up to a dirt Bank which might make preventable from theft. I don't know if I'd call the parking area secure.

Back