Out today from 6 am to 2pm. I was expecting a crappy ride up to Otter but was pleasantly surprised at how calm it was. It got blustery at times but the water never bumped up much all day. We hit a double before 7am and landed both 17, 14 pounds, both wild. Then kept and released 2 hatch coho and wild coho. Had a few more bumps through the day and then limited with 2 more springs that went 18 and 15 between 1:30 and 2..both wild again and all 4 springs were males.

Fishing out of Bigwood Lodge East Sooke With Brian. One Chinook 13 and a hatchery Coho yesterday. Today 13 and 19 # springs. 7 am 60’ in 120’ water off the bluffs all on anchovies. Trolled up to Otter and released a few wild coho. Wind came up, trolled back and Went in at noon.
01FFA01A-E84C-4CC0-9051-043C768BED25.jpeg

hid from the wind in Pedder Bay this AM and had one about 10# early. Didn’t see anything else caught. Saw a couple with their limit of 4 mid teens at the cleaning table from William head.

Beautiful calm day out there 1 hatch coho released a couple wilds lost a nice size spring at the boat between secretary and the trap anchovy and no bananas spoon split the hits 80 on rigger

2 hatch springs today and 2 hatch coho, released 2 wild coho and 2 sockeye..most boats I've seen on the water this year....counted just shy of 30 around Otter by mid morning.

Did the afternoon /eve jig in Pedder Bay with Bagjaun & Chero who has been sidelined from fishing for a while so first time out this year. Was a beauty evening with sun shine and a small chop on the water. We chased the bait around but not marking much, jigging near bottom so a few small assorted fish said hi then swam back down.
In 80 ft on a long 6in yellow and white needle fish jig the bag has one on his broken tipped fav rod and 175 reel that's tryin to take his knuckles off while he setting the drag (ouch). The last eye of the rod is goin left n right like a drunken sailer while that reel has a sound I've not heard before. Typical spring screams away then heads back at us, he's reeling as fast as he can thinks its off just as it scratchs the surface, yup still on but not ready so gone for another swim and a bit more wigglin tip.Came to the boat musta seen that eye winkin on the end of the rod and found herself scooped up in the net. 13 lb red lady hatch full of small 3in minnows. A couple of crabs and that is a long post for a 1bite 1 fish night ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 115
With the SE wind forecast and a crew that I didn't think would handle rough water or a rough ride home I went east this morning and fished the Trap. We only lasted until 10am instead of the planned noon finish but managed to land 3 nice springs, including a double.

...the bag has one on his broken tipped fav rod and 175 reel that's tryin to take his knuckles off while he setting the drag (ouch). The last eye of the rod is goin left n right like a drunken sailer while that reel has a sound I've not heard before.

Now THAT's a fishing report!

Fished 6:30am until 12:30pm today. Repeatedly searched the Trap area for 4.5 hours and the last 90 minutes trolled back around Secretary Isl.

Mostly disappointing day. Had a hit after 15 minutes and brought a coho to the boat, where it was promptly lost at the net. Couple hours later had two hits, one on anchovy and one on a Skinny G spoon. In both cases they resulted in long distance releases without visuals. Felt like coho as well.

As we left the Trap for the troll home, we did get a small (maybe 4lb) unclipped coho to the net that came in like a wet towel and was released OK.

Saw a few fish caught over the whole 6Hr our session split I think 50:50 between chinook and coho

Try again next week, as the skunkings must end soon! LOL o_O

Had a decent day out off Beechey head.
On the water for 7am, gear in the water for 7:15, first fish in the boat at 7:20!
Nothing after that till 1:00, then another that put up a great fight and was exactly on the limit.
Just about lost it as it hit the bottom of the net and bounce right back into the water!
Both fish on Anchovy, one at 60' the other at 40'. Purple haze bullet roll and a green haze JDF teaser head did the trick for us.

Fished Beechy Head to Trap and back between 6:30 - 12:30. Not a bite nor saw any caught until 11:30 when the Head lit up. Lost nice teener, but 5 min later landed 15.5 spring, lost another then landed 12 lb spring. Few more bites til 12:30 and saw more caught around the Head. Both fish wild, one white one red on bait at 48'. There was an early bite there around 6am as we saw a guy cleaning 2 nice ones when we were launching. So go early early or sleep in.

Anchored for hali this morning off of Williams Head,, 94m deep. After 7 or 8 dogfish my buddy got a 25-30 lber to the boat (at 10:30am) only to have the line break just above the hook before I had a change to nail it. Must have been a knick in the line that we didn't notice or it got badly chaffed on the way up. That was our first for the year so I almost jumped in after it. We did manage to land 2 much smaller ones just before noon so all was not lost. Trolled for a couple of hours at mouth of Pedder and had one that didn't stick and released a small wild coho. 4 keeper crab in the pot and lots of females. That was it for us. Nice morning but wind picked in the afternoon.

94801@2x.png
There is no fish in sooke to be had must say some of the best fishing ive seen in a while all the usual spots are producing seems they are there to be found

Should be a run of good quality fish coming your way. Renfrew has produced well and bigger fish up to 38 lbs.

Fished around possession point and further East yesterday with my buddies. 2 springs #17 and #12. Released a few coho. Hootchie and anchovy...beautiful day.

I went out yesterday as well. We came out a little late at around 1030 -till 3. Fished the trap down to head. Hit walls of small feeders but couldn't connect with anything big. They are there though. Lots of feed everywhere.

Finally got the boat back in the water, first time out in it since January this weekend. Saturday had a late morning start my bud hooked a couple nice ones I did the long line release on my only bite. Sunday stoked to get out early and saw many hookups all around me but one of those days couldnt get a bite to stick. Left frustrated went home. Came back out around 3:00 and bam first pass fish on was a good scrap for about 10 minutes. Bonk bonk hes coming home! Was a hatch fish around 20, 50 in 65' water red and chrome teaser hed no bananas flasher. There was a guy all morning who was pretty good at casting way out off the rock at the head every time it looked like I was about to make a pass tight to the beach so never got to run the tack I wanted all morning lol. Tackblocker

Back