Tiller Men

Love my 17' tiller. Lots of room with no console. It tracks straight, so my arm doesn't get tired on long runs.
The other thing about tillers is that they are highly maneuverable for jigging behind a wash rock, or dodging stuff, so long as you have good vision over the bow.

Not a clue lol:). Haven't got that far into it. My old gal just hit the road 1/2 hour ago. You can still see the pool of my tears in the parking lot lol:(:p.

Well I'm going to look forward to following along on this one. My brother is a welder and I always dream of building a little custom rig like what you're proposing. But not having the skills myself, it might just be a pipe dream.

WOW

How the heck are you going to get to the canyons with a tiller???
I'm sure that if your plans don't include a bigger boat as well, you will have lots of offers to crew for albies...
Change keeps one fresh!

I had a harbercraft adventurer as my first “serious” boat and I often regret getting rid of it. Very similar specs to what you are building: was a 12-deg hull with a delta pad and 16’8” loa, so a bit shorter, powered by a 60hp Merc. Loved that little 4-stroke merc .... most of the time. Sipped fuel, super reliable and trolled right down to Kokanee trolling speed. However, it was under powered and I would say significantly under powered w/ three or more guys in it Fishing. Was most noticeable getting up on step, we had to make sure we got everybody forward , which will be a key consideration for you w/ a tiller boat. The 17’ adventurer was rated to 75 while the 19’ version was rated to 90, I definitely would have repowered with full hp but was happy living w/ the 60. Did make me a bit nervous fishing out of Ukee as I really had to be on the throttle running in swell as it wanted to bog down or sprint ... constant feathering to keep it in the sweet spot.

Beauty design and I love the concept, easy to trailer, use on lakes, bays or, on good days, the ocean, launch/run solo, cheap on gas, etc, etc. Will be watching as it progresses.

Cheers!

Ukee

I had a 17' whaler montauk with a 65hp tiller for years, used to run across to the gulf islands from vancouver a lot, I really enjoyed fishing out of it seeing all the rods and whats ahead of you at the same time. one of the best little additions I did to it was to add a small aluminum side console for electronics and compass, it took very little room and was well worth the space imho.

hmmm ...not sure how deep it is or
the make...and 55 hours on the
motor. could be a great deal after
a little re modeling

i think most folk are still in shock the sculpin is gone.

Waaaaa!!!! News to me

4f2.gif

I have always wanted a tiller but I always buy something larger. I have been very close to buying a 16’ silver streak challenger. My next boat will likely be a 16 silver streak with a 60hp mercury CT with troll control

The 16 challenger has a 6’ bottom and I think it 16degree dead rise.

Great info guys. Thank you. I am hoping this boat will be a very multi purpose boat. I have the means to add on things like removable bimini tops etc. for family events or what have you to keep folks out of the sun. The sun is the main killer for me. I am effected by it big time. I am a true west coaster in that I like the rain and fog. I don't do well under the sun. I will fish in the rain before the sun any day of the week lol.

This is just a trial thing and we will see where it goes.

As far as the 60 hp goes. That is what the plans say.

Lighter bottom and side walls, 12 degree dead rise at transom, delta planing pad, and the command thrust gear case on the motor might just do it. I was questioning it as well but I only need high 20's to 30 mph to be happy fully loaded. Not looking for a speed demon out of this thing lol.

No kidding about the sun. I quit smoking in 03, and almost immediately became sun sensitive. Like some kind of vampire. There’s no way I could survive a day out in the sun in an open boat.

I have boat on the brain again.......
I have a 14.5 welded tinny that has a 2020 f25 tiller might get the rigging for depoyment PFD in the bow and zodiac floats would deploy .i will creat a illution of 7 co2 pfd vests deployed around a chine .then we can bail.then with transom level .2X 2 2020 f25 and a consel . the purpos is to make the vessle portable .make it work first.fc

Back