Drug Smuggling, Dead Men, Sailboats and Ecuador

Not that I would ever be involved in this kind of business but
I think I would have rather landed and taken my chance with authorities
rather than scuttle the shipment and deal with the biker's.

If EVERY illegal drug smuggler ended that way there would be no drug problem. Just a thought???? I still believe the missing man from Shawinigan who disappeared with his truck running on the side of the road is also very suspicious. Things we ponder while on anchor.

HM

This account seems more than a bit fishy. While the two sailors had been missing for weeks, the news the bodies had been discovered and the RCMP suspected foul play was only released in the Canadian media on June 28th. As that was just a week ago, literally, that doesn’t jive with the authors claim that a reader asked him about the murders which led him to spend “a few weeks” investigating and checking with his fbi contacts. That simply isn’t possible and I doubt he mistakenly wrote “weeks” if he meant “days”!

I know there is a lot of speculation, it is certainly suspicious and may very well be a drug deal gone bad but I call BS on Mr. “Breaking the Codes” story based on the obvious timelines that don’t even come close to meshing. Then, realistically, what is the likelihood of FBI contacts sharing info w/ someone who is clearly blogging about it? Finally, If the US authorities spotted the plane and were suspicious about the load and thus suspected smuggling, why weren’t the RCMP or customs authorities waiting for them when they landed, particularly when the CBC reported they stayed at the harbour for three days prior to leaving... not exactly running and hiding!

Cheers!

Ukee

They probably were smuggling dope but the author took some quantum leaps in speculation to make a good story. Of course they took a wide berth from Port Angeles, it is not enroute to the destination. Also I find the waterline speculation a bit over the top. You would have to be familiar with that particular yacht to know where it rode with various loads. A trip of that length would probably erase the prior waterline as it would have been immersed with the added weight.

Yes, the author does spin quite the yarn, and also reveals poor geographical knowledge of (his route map shows the boat going to Alaska!). But now that it's been revealed that the U.S. DEA is involved, this trip was obviously a drug smuggling.
Today's Times Colonist:
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...g-rcmp-in-probe-of-ucluelet-deaths-1.23361961

Whether or not these two lads dumped some or all of the dope at sea, as suggested by Nog's article, the public will likely never know, since investigators need to protect information that might risk ongoing investigations, as well as personnel. Likewise, we'll likely never know anything else about these two men.

He lost me at the waterline part. If what, 1KG is worth ~$3oK on the street?

Would even 200Kgs ($6MM worth) make any sort of discernible difference on the waterline or visible freeboard on a boat that large? Or be easily offset by running lean on other supplies? etc etc

Seems silly.

This account seems more than a bit fishy. While the two sailors had been missing for weeks, the news the bodies had been discovered and the RCMP suspected foul play was only released in the Canadian media on June 28th. As that was just a week ago, literally, that doesn’t jive with the authors claim that a reader asked him about the murders which led him to spend “a few weeks” investigating and checking with his fbi contacts. That simply isn’t possible and I doubt he mistakenly wrote “weeks” if he meant “days”!
Ukee

The news that police had found the 2 bodies near Ucluelet came on June 18th. It took almost 2 weeks after that to absolutely identify the bodies as Dan A. and Ryan D. but every one pretty much knew it was them.

"On June 18, police announced that two bodies had been discovered near Ucluelet by a woman walking her dog. It took authorities nearly two weeks to identify the remains as belonging to Archbald and Daley, and declare their deaths a homicide case"

It doesn't seem odd to me that the author would claim that a reader asked him about the "murders" before police declared the bodies found were for sure a result of homicide because I think the author is referring to the situation with present time knowledge, knowing they were murders when he's writing the article - the article is written when the author knows it was a double homicide. The reader may have asked him a question only about the bodies recovered on June 18th ( even maybe suspecting them as murdered ) but then when the author writes about recalling what the reader had asked, he knew the bodies were in fact the result of murders, so wrote it that way.

The spending "a few weeks" investigating then just looks to be a bit of typical exaggeration.

Back