2018 Alberni Inlet Reports

[QUOTE="chevy guy, I guess the Clearwater is not working the inlet this year. Any body seen her this year?[/QUOTE]

The Clearwater has not picked logs from the inlet for years now. The PA Harbour commission sold the boat to a fellow in Kildonan some years ago. You would think that the logging companies would have some responsibility to pick up the logs that escape their booms and become boat hazards but .......

Do you think there will still be some decent numbers of Socks around come July 16? Have a couple of days and thinking of making the drive.

Was out this morn, tried various spots , lone tree, coulsons and just out from China creek, lost one and that was all the action we had.

Was out this morn, tried various spots , lone tree, coulsons and just out from China creek, lost one and that was all the action we had.
Fishing was hot at the sproat river fish ladders at 8 pm tonight two guys were dipneting up a few All on camera

Fished for 3 days Mon-Wed Dunsmuir to Bamfield Sockeye and springs at Pill to Kirby and Bamfield to Poets Nook . Not a bite Saw none caught and a very quiet VHF scan. I thought there was a seine opening posted on DFO for 3 day opening Mon 10AM-Wed 10pm. No Seiners there as I assume it wasn't worth the effort. We saw only the test boat fishing across from Star point on Monday.
Reassessment on Sockeye reported on Alberni Radio station yesterday morning in the café but don't see any change online yet. Rumored to go down to 1/day.

Fished for 3 days Mon-Wed Dunsmuir to Bamfield Sockeye and springs at Pill to Kirby and Bamfield to Poets Nook . Not a bite Saw none caught and a very quiet VHF scan. I thought there was a seine opening posted on DFO for 3 day opening Mon 10AM-Wed 10pm. No Seiners there as I assume it wasn't worth the effort. We saw only the test boat fishing across from Star point on Monday.
Reassessment on Sockeye reported on Alberni Radio station yesterday morning in the café but don't see any change online yet. Rumored to go down to 1/day.
Great report Cabazon rite on the money,. Even the Seiners had a tough time, someone told me they were out for 7500 units and can't get it ..
Ya it's slow but we managed a few. Today reports are much better As far as VHF chatter well, if your looking to get good intel wel throw it away everyone's on a cell phone NOW. But, I still keep mine on all the time lol

Buddy called the DFO office and they told him everything above the dam is closed at the end of today and everywhere will be closed maybe by the 12 but for sure the 15th

Yup Socks Closed on the 15th of Jul for the season, got three this morning two of us in boat so don't get excited, limit is still 2 I know lol

I spent from Tuesday until Saturday at China creek. Sockeye was a bust on Wednesday. I didn't see anyone come back to the dock with any fish. However, on Thursday, we got our limit, and saw quite a few back at the cleaning station. We didn't fish the inlet on Friday as we went out to Barkley, but when we returned, we did see people cleaning sockeye, so perhaps they are starting to school up in the inlet.

Sock fishing was really crappy on Sunday, unless you were fortunate enough to hit the small schools that are around, if you do you will get quads , we didn't so we ended up fishing from from 5-11 with no socks in the boat. My buddy said its the first time in 40 years he has seen it that bad. Hes retired now and fishes the area almost everyday from Jun to Sept , for the past 10 years, so that says to me the canal is in really bad sockeye shape. He is optimistic that the run may be late and might be in in 3 weeks or so .... only time will tell. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the DFO has mismanaged this resource to a point of extinction and the opportunities given to special groups prior to proven adequate escapement is an example of how idiotic and pathetic the DFO are .... Sorry for rant, not the appropriate forum but Damn it ! Good Luck out there and hope My Bud is right and the Socks are late

Fishing was hot at the sproat river fish ladders at 8 pm tonight two guys were dipneting up a few All on camera

The Sproat has been open to FN dip-netting for the entire season.
First season for that activity.
Not many are involved, and those that do go through quite the learning curve.

Do you think there will still be some decent numbers of Socks around come July 16? Have a couple of days and thinking of making the drive.

All fishing has been curtailed in the Somas for now (out to Polly's Point) while limits remain at 2 per license beyond that.

Unless there is a dramatic improvement in numbers (quite doubtful) sockeye retention will CLOSE for all on July 15.

Nog

How's the Sproat and Stamp doing for sockeye numbers ?
Just curious if there getting what they need .

How's the Sproat and Stamp doing for sockeye numbers ?
Just curious if there getting what they need .

Date: July 12, 2018
Page 1 of 2
Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast:
Somass (Great Central and Sproat): 350,000 to 500,000
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook: < 15,000

First in-season re-forecast: The run size being used for management purposes (350,000) was unchanged at the meeting.

Escapement to July 4:
Great Central: 31,117
Sproat: 135,247
Total: 166,363

Great Central is still very much a concern...

Cheers,
Nog

Back