Upgrading Running and Other Lights to LED

Rockfish

We are about half way through a project to replace the ancient dull incandescent bulb and color lens running lights on the boat. I understand there are some low quality, less reliable led boat lights out there, so we were careful to go with high end US made lights. Total cost, tax in, for the port and starboard, stern and independently switched poll anchor light on the roof, as well as high end marine connectors, was about $250.

So far we have the Port and Starboard lights installed and what a difference. In clear bright sunlight you could barely tell the old type port light with the dull red lens was even on. The new led's are incredibly bright and highly visible, even in direct bright summer sun light. They should really show up in the fog.

The transom light is a bit of a challenge because the boat was converted from i/o to a pod and outboard. The transom light is partially blocked by the cowling of the main outboard when viewed from directly behind and especially from lower angles as the light was mounted right in the upper center of the transom. Further the back of the transom has a 6 inch bevel before the flat top on it. To make this work, one of my fishing buddies is fabricating a stainless bracket to go over the old light to correct for the bevel angle and mount a ratcheting swing down/up poll type 20 inch stern led light onto the bevel portion of the transom. When in the up position it will now be completely visible from the required DOT specified stern light angles and be way above the motor cowling. In the down position it will lie flat against the transom and be out of the way for accessing the large fish box on the pod and for swinging the net around etc.

The new lights should be safer/brighter, last decades, require no further servicing and drain the batteries of only a tiny fraction of the power the old incandescent type needed. I will not miss replacing the old bayonet mount bulbs which would burn out and sometimes break off the glass from the base as you try to remove them.

The only slight downside I can think of is that in say a head on approach of another boat with a novice skipper in bright daylight with the Nav lights turned off, they do not provide the visual cue of a red unlit lens to help remind the other boat of basic navigation rules such as passing red to red in that circumstance. When the led's are turned off the lens is clear and they look silver white rather than red or green as the color is provided by the led's only when they are turned on.

We are so pleased with the new lights that future projects may include converting all other boat lighting to LED's to significantly reduce amp draw on the batteries and eliminate the need to service/replace bulbs for any of the boat lighting.

If you have the time for another boat project this is a good one. The technology has matured. led's are now brighter and the quality stuff is now mass produced and more reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I have recently replaced my port/starboard, cabin, and masthead lights to LED - what a difference!

I'm in the lighting business and I don't recommend sealed LED units as they are not serviceable. The diodes last a lifetime but the drivers do not. I've seen lots of expense throw away off warranty fixtures in the 110 volt line up...not as familiar with the 12 volt stuff. LED light bulbs are great but not light units.

Sounds great, where did you find good quality LED components?

The two ratcheting pole lights, one shorter and one long, are from Trotac.
As for the port and starboard lights, I am not a 100 percent sure as it was about a year and a half ago, perhaps more. I may have also got them at Trotac. I tend to buy optional things when I see a good buy on sale. The dam Chemo drugs and my age does mess with my memory a bit. I may still have the package on the boat or in the trunk of the car and will take a look. They were US made and as I recall were $79.00 (price sticker on the package) plus tax for the pair. Got to say they have real bling appeal. They may now be the prettiest things on the old girl.

I remember looking at a high end LED sailboat mast head light about 7 years ago and it was well over $500.00 just for the one light, so they seem to have come down in price. It may be that the quality difference is both the new very bright LED's paired with quality long lasting drivers.

I would think sealed may be better if the units are quality built as they will be subject to a lot of salt water and air.

Last edited:
I have noticed that for interior boat lights that use the bayonet type incandescent bulb, that you can just replace the bulb with an led unit that has the same bayonet mount so it is a very easy replacement. As I recall, marine grade ones of the easy swap out type are about $15.00. retail locally. However, they may not be sealed and you would still want to grease the bayonet mount heavily with dialectic grease to keep the salt air from corroding them, even if they are inside the cabin.

Last edited:
A single LED only requires 3-4 volts DC, so powering them off 12 volts can be done - EXCEPT - LED have what is known as thermal runaway; the more current the LED draws, the hotter it gets. The hotter it gets, the more current it draws. Something catches fire. LED's need some sort of current limiter/regulator wired in series before the LED. These are known as buckpacks.
profisher is correct about the drivers.

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/drivers/led-driver.aspx

I have been looking into under cabinet Led lighting for my kitchen and it looks like I will need a very large combination power supply/step down transformer/led driver and dimmer control unit capable of running a great many low voltage led's off of a single 15 amp house circuit. So I get the advantage of being able to replace the light strips, wiring and the power supply/led driver/dimer control units separately in the case of failure of any single component given the over all high cost of the system. I am not sure I really need a dimmer control so that is not a deal breaker. At the risk of high jacking my own thread by the way, I am interested in who would be good to go with in terms of under cabinet led light systems and possibly an electrician experienced with them, to install it all in the Victoria area. I looked into it a number of years back and found it extremely expensive but understand that technology has become mainstream now and a lot less expensive.

For small boat marine lighting units I am thinking that sealed units may be the way to go even if it makes it difficult or impossible to say replace an IC led driver chip if it goes. I guess it is a trade off, but the benefit of being completely protected from salt water and salt air intrusion and destruction may be a greater priority than the ability to swap out an led driver unit for a small boat led light, so that in effect they are disposable and you buy a new unit. I still think the more expensive, better designed units are going to be more reliable and longer lasting.

On an Led trailer light for example, the ability to survive a lot of road pounding and vibration and thermal shock from repeatedly being plunged into cold salt water while keeping salt water out of the electronics may be more important than being able to swap out a sealed in driver component given the cost of doing that and the replacement cost of the whole unit, even if it were possible to do so.

To be honest I have not even check the new lights I have to see if they are hard sealed or just have gaskets/o-rings etc to seal them but think they are hard sealed. I guess time will tell if they will be a more reliable and service free system compared to the old incandescent bulbs, but from what I have read, they should be. They will be much easier on the batteries and a lot brighter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments re: runaway and driver concerns eric & profisher. What about spotlights? I refitted using high quality marine LED spotlights/decklights for nite-time running, and deckwork. They make a huge difference. Same concerns there too??

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/drivers/led-driver.aspx

I have been looking into under cabinet Led lighting for my kitchen and it looks like I will need a very large combination power supply/step down transformer/led driver and dimmer control unit capable of running a great many low voltage led's off of a single 15 amp house circuit. So I get the advantage of being able to replace the light strips, wiring and the power supply/led driver/dimer control units separately in the case of failure of any single component given the over all high cost of the system. I am not sure I really need a dimmer control so that is not a deal breaker. At the risk of high jacking my own thread by the way, I am interested in who would be good to go with in terms of under cabinet led light systems and possibly an electrician experienced with them, to install it all in the Victoria area. I looked into it a number of years back and found it extremely expensive but understand that technology has become mainstream now and a lot less expensive.

I did a full kitchen reno over the winter and I used under cabinet LED lights from IKEA. Pretty cheap and easy.

GnB

Basically if you can change a LED bulb or lamp they are good...if there is no replaceable lamp or parts...they are all throw aways when they fail. Lots of wall packs on buildings that less than one year old start to blink repeatedly. same with dock lights at marinas I've seen. High bay fixtures being installed in Coldstar's warehouse and sections of the lighted portion already burnt out...hadn't even finished the installation job. Obviously they would be covered by warranty but just trying to make the impression a out the drivers...they are electronic and like electronic ballasts in fluorescent lighting they don't last anything close to the old magnetic ballasts.

I actually bought a commercially made home fixture that had 5 LED's driven by 2 buck pucks. The one driving 3 LED's was being overdriven - was easy to buy the proper part & the install was all with wire nuts.

Thanks for the comments re: runaway and driver concerns eric & profisher. What about spotlights? I refitted using high quality marine LED spotlights/decklights for nite-time running, and deckwork. They make a huge difference. Same concerns there too??

It's possible that the spotlights are proper engineered and have the proper current limiting drivers/buck pucks.
Feel free to post the make/model & I'll find out for you.

It's possible that the spotlights are proper engineered and have the proper current limiting drivers/buck pucks. Feel free to post the make/model & I'll find out for you.
thanks, eric1!

the ones I purchased/installed were:
Rigid Industries 60121 M-Series Dually LED Spotlight https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-60121-Dually-Spotlight/dp/B0072LCAFS
Strathcon LD4140 LED 9-40v 40 watt floodlight 501-5856 http://www.strathcon.com/40-watt-flood/product-detail.aspx

Maybe - for the benefit of the other posters reading this besides myself - maybe you could explain what you look for when choosing LED lights?

A boat less than 12 meters long does not need to have separate stern and mast lights. An all round white light will suffice.

Rigid Industries 60121 M-Series:
  • Over / Under Voltage
    • Integrated Thermal Management
Strathcon LD4140 LED 9-40v 40 watt floodlight 501-5856:

Overheat protection activates at 50C

agentaqua - these have built-in thermal management

ok - thanks so much for checking these out eric1! So, they should be fine, then? I guess that's why they charge more for the higher quality marine LED lights, than?

LED lights for marine use have come a long ways in the last 5 years or so. You can even get just the bulb for an existing fixture & the build CAN have the required built-in current/heat regulation; similar to household LED bulbs that the 115V AC house power & convert it to regulated DC voltages required by LED's. I am sure there are still some older devices without regulation out there, so be careful.

Check out:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-boat-lights/

This site is good about publishing the fine print details needed to make an informed purchase.

Here is the West Marine Advisor on this topic:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/LED-Lighting-Technology

Unfortunately they don't mention current regulation.

Back