2018 Sidney Reports

Spent 2 long days around sidney. No salmon to show for it, but not for lack of trying or inexperience. Spent lots of time at fairfax snd coal yesterday, then fairfax, hambley pt and sidney channel today. Lots of bait and lots of fish marks on the sounder at fairfax. Same in the 135 trough in the sidney channel southeast of powder wharf. We had one bite at fairfax and that was it. Saw no nets out either.

I was out Sunday morning at Powder Warf, double header on my own right away, lost one of them while I was trying to dig the net out but managed to land the other. 13lber. Decided to try jigging after that and hooked into one within 5 minutes that was around 20lbs, after getting it to the boat twice it finally spat the hook. Headed back again this morning at first light and hooked into borderline legal right away that I released. Though it was going to be on fire but it was dead after that. Landed one around 10 lbs jigging after 3.5hrs trolling without a hit.

I don’t see any closer notice.
Looks to be open as usual.
Please direct me to the closure notice if I’m missing something.
I was thinking I may drop some traps tomorrow

Thanks
Looked again today and could not find where the wife was to say it was closed. Called fisheries and no record of closure that I heard either.

Dragged gear around yesterday. Fairfax, spit, powder wharf. One small Chinook HEAD came up on the gear, bitten off by a doggie I suppose. That's it! Hardly any boats on the water.

Fished the morning from 6 - 9. Jigging at Powder Wharf produced 3 dogfish in about 30 minutes (seemed odd as I don't ever recall catching dogfish near Powder Wharf before?). Moved out into the channel and trolled along James with nothing to show for our efforts. Entertained by a couple of eagles dive bombing and picking off a couple of young ducklings swimming the channel.

Reactions: RBL
It’s official! Webster’s is adding a new word to the dictionary...

Stizzla (stiz-Lah)
Verb and noun
1) verb: the act of committing multiple skunk fishing sessions consecutively in which more time is spent removing weeds from ones fishing line, and/or reeling in accidentally tripped downrigger lines, than actually fishing.
2) noun: to describe a person/persons of whom is/are terrible at fishing.
Ex 1; “Hey! That guy really Stizzla’d out there today!”
Ex 2; “Those guys lost all their cannonballs? What a bunch of Stizzlas!”

Maybe when I get my boat back next weekend with it’s shiny blue wrap, my luck will change. One can hope!
I only did a couple of hours at the powder wharf today. I trolled and hit a ton of salad... it was everywhere! so I got jiggy wit it.
I saw one fish come up on my fishfinder, which looked really cool on the screen, but he didn’t make the big move at the end.
So calm and nice out there with some sun to go with it. Brought the wife and she had a good time. My favourite part was when I saw a large flock of birds feasting on surface bait, I trolled right through it and a hidden seal looked up and we were right on him at the side of the boat, so he made a big dive with a splash and soaked us.
We also saw two pods of porpoises. Fishing is awesome. I WILL ONE DAY CATCH A FISH AGAIN!
please send me good vibes.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the new wrap. Next time you come across a bait ball on the surface just troll around the edge of it. Trolling through it will break it up, and anyone else fishing it will say what a Stizzla, he broke up that bait ball.

New to this forum page but enjoyed reading reports and updates, thought I would join in!
Been a really slow last few weeks for me haven’t even hooked up to a fish since last week of June! Been out 6-7 times since then, haven’t seen much bait except a few bait balls on the surface here and there . Been fishing all around coal, spit, and powder wharf mostly, catching a lot of dogs. Hopefully get one soon!

New to this forum page but enjoyed reading reports and updates, thought I would join in!
Been a really slow last few weeks for me haven’t even hooked up to a fish since last week of June! Been out 6-7 times since then, haven’t seen much bait except a few bait balls on the surface here and there . Been fishing all around coal, spit, and powder wharf mostly, catching a lot of dogs. Hopefully get one soon!
If you are catching dogfish on the troll try speeding up, you are going too slow

Thursday night Powder Wharf.... half dozen boats out, few jigging, few trolling. Picked up a nice little 10# on a Coho Killer, 85ft in 120. Also a little shaker in the first couple of minutes, loads of bait prior to tide change then died off. Lots of salad/logs in the water, but was worth it to rinse the skunk off of me and the boat. Been a long couple months...

Last edited:
Went out for the sunup shift at powder with @Gham this morning. Between the two of us we caught 2 dogfish, a needlefish, a 3” coho, a starfish, a flounder that got attacked by a dogfish at the surface, and a few bottom critters. He actually had salmon one on for 3.2 seconds Before it went bye bye.
Saw a boat get a 13 pounder 1st light.

Going home to have breakfast and pick up my wife and go back out to take tight lines for her maiden voyage!

Back