Pesky American Looking for help

jpk

Greetings from Oregon, new to this site but was hoping to maybe get some helpful information. Last year my father and I fished out of Bella Bella for a week and needless to say fell in love with BC. My family(2 kids and wife) are planning on cruising North for few weeks from Anacortes, eventually ending up in Shearwater for 5 days. This trip will definitely be something new for my family and we look forward to exploring as well as learning more about the beautiful country. We plan on taking our time but really have no set schedule until first week of August. Have fished entire life on Oregon Coast so not really new to salmon game, but do know that when in Rome do as the Romans. As we head North we will definitely target Salmon(not looking to fill boat). Was wondering if there was one lure or spoon that we should always have at the ready(normally just fish anchovies and plug cut, and the occasional pink fly if we are in the Coho)? Thank you for any help. BTW, am more than happy to help with any questions on fishing Albies on Central Oregon Coast.

If you are going to be fishing out of Shearwater, head out to Cheney Point ( head out Seaforth Channel and turn left when you hit open ocean...you'll see the boats down at Cheney) Cut plugs is really the way to go up there, but when I was guiding up there, #602 6 inch Tomic Tubbies kicked butt when we weren't cut plugging. On the way up, bring along a variety of Coyote spoons in various sizes to match the size of the bait. Cop Car, Sardine and Kitchen Sinks are my favorites.

Last edited:
On your way up stop in at Telegraph Cove, you won't be disappointed. Give a PM if you do, I'm here till the middle of September

Greetings from Oregon, new to this site but was hoping to maybe get some helpful information. Last year my father and I fished out of Bella Bella for a week and needless to say fell in love with BC. My family(2 kids and wife) are planning on cruising North for few weeks from Anacortes, eventually ending up in Shearwater for 5 days. This trip will definitely be something new for my family and we look forward to exploring as well as learning more about the beautiful country. We plan on taking our time but really have no set schedule until first week of August. Have fished entire life on Oregon Coast so not really new to salmon game, but do know that when in Rome do as the Romans. As we head North we will definitely target Salmon(not looking to fill boat). Was wondering if there was one lure or spoon that we should always have at the ready(normally just fish anchovies and plug cut, and the occasional pink fly if we are in the Coho)? Thank you for any help. BTW, am more than happy to help with any questions on fishing Albies on Central Oregon Coast.
If you have downriggers try running an anchovy in a teaser head naked (without a flasher) and run dummy flashers off your cannon ball. Or try a 3.5 blue silver coyote spoon 5.5 - 6' behind a red/glow flasher. Cut Plug is always money up there too!

Make sure your rods are rigged with single-action “knuckle-buster” mooching reels to get the full Canadian fishing experience!

For minimal gear when bait not available, a small assortment of spoons (coho killers, coyote or kingfisher and some AP sandlance) in Irish creme, army truck and cop car (glow if deeper than 100’), hoochie/flasher combos (flasher - purple onion UV, green glow; squid hoochies in army truck, green splatterback and UV purple haze, needlefish in green splatter back & army truck, also small pink plankton hoochies for sockeye or coho) and some 5-6” tubby Tomic plugs in 602 should catch fish almost anywhere on our coast. Also should have some drift jigs like Zelda’s/spinnows, point Wilson darts or Shimano butterfly’s - good for drift jigging salmon or Lings. For targeting Lings I love an 8-12” powerbait twist tail grub in white or glow on 8-16 oz lead jig heads (start on top of structure and “jig downhill” as you drift off - I.e. jig 3-5 times, then drop to bottom, bring up a couple cranks and repeat, hits usually on drops over ledges!)

Cheers!

Ukee

YES! on the mooching rod set up!

I'm one of the "weird ones" that always uses them down here in WA. It is SO much more fun. You can get one set up for about $120.

I am going to Nootka for my yearly trip in two weeks. I use all of the above but would also add grand slam bucktail flies for the chinook and coho. Fish them as would a hoochie, or run them naked on top water.

Canadians tend to troll for chinook much faster than we do in WA. The slower speed works here, faster up there - possibly due to where the fish are in their eating/traveling route.

Have fun!!

Howard

Have had the mooching rods set up for a few months, actually sneaking out to check out every few nights in the man cave. Loved it last year when we used them. Plan on using much more in our local fisheries here. Been taking my 8 year old son up to a local lake with beautiful trout, trolling flies, just to break him in on how to fight fish on center pin reels and know when to let go of handle to save both knuckles and not break lines. Super Excited.

I will be going to Shearwater for the first time this year to. We will leave Spokane on July 27th and fish till the August 8 th We are driving to Bella Coola and launching from there. I have gone to Nootka for the last 10 years but after reading Sharphooks post over the years I wanted to go up father North.
I would assume that making the run up to Shearwater would be better in the mornings before wind
jbk we will be in a 21’ arima

When I am in this part of the coast I spend a lot of time jigging for salmon with a very simple silver and black gibbs minnow jig. Work the backeddys on the structure. Nothing beats a spring taking with your hands on the rod!

For those that replied with helpful info, just wanted to say thank you. Our adventure was great. Made our way up coast from Anacortes, stopping in Nanaimo, Campbell River, working through Desolation Sound, stopping in Port Neville, then on to Port Hardy for first week. We did a little fishing around Campbell River, quickly learning why most people fish artificial lures, having some success fishing deep using popular spoons and hoochies. Week two consisted of off loading one son and my wife in Port Hardy and loading my Dad, brother, and nephew on for second leg. The trip to Shearwater was uneventful, with most of the work just watching through the fog for any wayward objects that may show suddenly. When we did start fishing, like last year the experience was exceptional. Watching my 8 year old son backed up by his 9 year old cousin landing most of the fish, was worth the trip in itself. It was nice to actually put the downriggers away and just mooch herring. Although we did not catch many spings(there were not a lot caught while we were there) we did get a couple dandies, the biggest topping the scale right at 30. The coho bite was sporadic through out the day but when it was on it was on. The boys loved standing on the front of the boat throwing jigs to the kelp, pretty much catching every bottom fish imaginable. It was great to fish shallow and not worry about having to use descender to release fish. The boys hooked several coho as well with the jigs which was fun to watch. Due to a unfavorable weather change last Friday, we ended up leaving a day early, heading South Thursday morning after fishing a couple hours. The water home was great, stopping in Campbell river Thursday night, and then shoving off early Friday morning to make Anacortes by 11:30. Total time on the run back from just South of Shearwater to Anacortes was just under 12 hours. We are already planning next years trip having a few minor changes on how we may schedule things. We met some wonderful people and look forward to seeing them again. Again just wanted to say thanks and hope you all have a great season!!

What kind of boat do you have? Size, power? Would love to do a trip north like that.
Well, maybe it is your old boat? 30' ocean sport with the name "Sir Reel" on the back. Superstitious, so it still has same name if it was your boat.

Back