Tiller Men

Sculpin

Ok. I sold my big rig and I am looking to go to a hardcore tiller set up. I haven't run a tiller since my youth and the odd time with friends boats of late. I need to get some input from the serious tiller men out there. I want to get back to the basics and the wind in my face for fishing.

I am looking at a nice 18.5 foot plan from Cope boats. Self bailing decks and high sides. I will probably be powering it with a 60 hp Mercury 25" shaft SeaPro with the hydraulic Big Tiller set up. I have read that this motor is the same as the 70 hp Yammie. The Yammie guy's lied about the output and the Mercury put's out more than listed. Going with the Merc. I hate liar's.

Here is the link to the plans....

https://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stock/openboats/Cope18ft6in12degOpenSkiff_046.html

Please not that the plans show a 20" mount for the motor but the Mercury is available with a 25" shaft length. That will increase the shown transom mount height by 5".

Looking for thoughts on layout, gps puck location, screen location, etc.
I have scrounged the internet big time for all the cookie cutter boats out there and the awesome Aussie and Kiwi boat builders that build great tiller model sea boats. They have some good idea's but I am just researching real world idea's. This boat won't be built until this winter so I have lot's of time to keep researching.

This is going to be used for crabbing, prawning, salmon fishing, and near shore bottom fishing.

The big question really is about the Mercury Big Tiller and people's experience with it.

Last edited:
I know this is a little over board and hard to fathom lol for most folks but hopefully there is someone with experience with the Big Tiller by Mercury Marine.

i think most folk are still in shock the sculpin is gone.

i haven’t run a tiller for well over a decade but I love the simplicity of a tiller and you feel in total control at the stern looking forward at everything going on in front of you

I have used one and it was awesome, it was on a 90

If they weren’t so much cash to retrofit I would put one on my 50 but I only use that boat once a year so....

Not sure a 60 will be enough power for that rig though?

JMO

Drivers side rear pedestal should be as high as is comfortable with seat installed. You need to see over the head of the passenger directly in front of you when moving.

Substitute something else ( fish box, tackle storage, mount for electronics etc.) or eliminate the seat riser for passenger side rear entirely.

Mount for prawn puller, use one separated from downrigger mounts, see if they can make a slide in mount for you that will not be obtrusive the rest of the time. Mounted vertical on the sides that the mount will slide into.

Storage compartment in bow should be as large as possible

Baffled built in fuel tank under floor.

Short grab rails for passengers to use.

Down rigger mounts, in front of you, closer to you for stbd side mount but closer to passenger on port side.

Drain-able splash guard around engine does not need to extend much past motor opening., perhaps with fuel/water separator mounted under the splash guard.

If you need motor well, to install engine mount bolts/ bilge pump, have a removable cover installed

Fuel and electrical running through conduit

Allow for three fenders for each side, you can use scotty flush mounts with fender rings.

Three cleats per side for tying up, don't have to be huge. Can utilize stern tow ring for rear cleat.

All compartments need to be lockable, with a padlock.

Non skid on bow storage area, so you don't slip when getting in and out.

Rod and net storage can be a problem. My net holder is mounted behind driver at stern and is just a pipe.

May have to move battery forward, depends on weight of motor, IMO mount on port side to compensate for your own weight.

If doing lots of trolling might want to consider a small kicker.

Last edited:
Only have one experience with an open boat on the ocean. But it was a good one. My wife and I made our first trip to the island in 2005. Camping out of our jeep, we started in Victoria and worked north til we ended up in port mcneill.
Met a fellow there who was transferring fish finder and other electronics from his big boat (blown motor) to a 17’ whaler with 65hp tiller power. I gave him a hand and he took us out for our first trip fishing on the chucks. Was a blast. I’ve been in several boats since of all sizes and types. Some my own. Still think that first trip with Derrick(?) In that open boat was the most exciting and exiherating of all of them. Got two halibut each jigging with salmon rods because that’s all we had. He though there was no way we’d land them but we did. All four were cookie cutters about 25lbs each.

Did I hear you say "Cope"? Man I sure wish I would have grabbed this one...
Picture118.jpg

Did I hear you say "Cope"? Man I sure wish I would have grabbed this one...
Picture118.jpg

Yup. That's my old rig. Great little boat. Used to be able to go out front crabbing and prawning for around 7 bucks in fuel lol!!!
Funny thing you posted this GLG, I saw her today on the road on the way out West.

JMO

Drivers side rear pedestal should be as high as is comfortable with seat installed. You need to see over the head of the passenger directly in front of you when moving.

Substitute something else ( fish box, tackle storage, mount for electronics etc.) or eliminate the seat riser for passenger side rear entirely.

Mount for prawn puller, use one separated from downrigger mounts, see if they can make a slide in mount for you that will not be obtrusive the rest of the time. Mounted vertical on the sides that the mount will slide into.

Storage compartment in bow should be as large as possible

Baffled built in fuel tank under floor.

Short grab rails for passengers to use.

Down rigger mounts, in front of you, closer to you for stbd side mount but closer to passenger on port side.

Drain-able splash guard around engine does not need to extend much past motor opening., perhaps with fuel/water separator mounted under the splash guard.

If you need motor well, to install engine mount bolts/ bilge pump, have a removable cover installed

Fuel and electrical running through conduit

Allow for three fenders for each side, you can use scotty flush mounts with fender rings.

Three cleats per side for tying up, don't have to be huge. Can utilize stern tow ring for rear cleat.

All compartments need to be lockable, with a padlock.

Non skid on bow storage area, so you don't slip when getting in and out.

Rod and net storage can be a problem. My net holder is mounted behind driver at stern and is just a pipe.

May have to move battery forward, depends on weight of motor, IMO mount on port side to compensate for your own weight.

If doing lots of trolling might want to consider a small kicker.

Great idea's and thank you for sharing. This is the kind of information I want to digest.

07b_w25ba 25 ft.. panga.jpg

I think my next boat is going to look like this. I will probably break from the traditional tiller steering and do a little centre console hydraulic helm T-top sort of set-up. The majority of the panga guys are tiller steering these boats very succesfully. The 25 footer lists for 95,000 pesos for the bare hull. Anyone want to buy a sweet Shamrock Diesel ?

Work carefully on seating position and use an adjustable driver's seat. Tillers are be a real PITA (pain in the arm) on anything but very short runs if you don't pay close attention to the relationship between body location and tiller location.

Great info guys. Thank you. I am hoping this boat will be a very multi purpose boat. I have the means to add on things like removable bimini tops etc. for family events or what have you to keep folks out of the sun. The sun is the main killer for me. I am effected by it big time. I am a true west coaster in that I like the rain and fog. I don't do well under the sun. I will fish in the rain before the sun any day of the week lol.

This is just a trial thing and we will see where it goes.

As far as the 60 hp goes. That is what the plans say.

Lighter bottom and side walls, 12 degree dead rise at transom, delta planing pad, and the command thrust gear case on the motor might just do it. I was questioning it as well but I only need high 20's to 30 mph to be happy fully loaded. Not looking for a speed demon out of this thing lol.

You won't be disappointed with the big tiller, it makes running a tiller so much easier due to its longer length and how it extends from closer to the center of the motor than the regular tiller.

I agree with gungadin on the driver seat, I find myself standing when running most the time.

I find it easier to see debris and it helps the old back lol

Check out Liquid Metal open boats. I looked at a 16-17 footer once and the layout was fantastic for such as small boat. They put bench seats up front against the gunnels that offered tons of storage and kept the middle of the boat nice and open.

Heres what I did with my Custom built 16'6" Cope it was wide open nothing to trip over unless you left junk on the floor. Wave rider pedestals dry storage built in fuel tank in the floor .
F 60 Yamaha 5hp honda Kicker

Attachments

• DSCN0381.JPG
    DSCN0381.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0379.JPG
    DSCN0379.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 73
Side view boat compressed.jpg

Only took a week to figure out how to get a photo resized and up here.
This is my tiller project.
I recognize the trailer needs some adjustment, it had some catamaran racing tub on it previous.
Main focus was on replacing the transom so I could hang the etec 50 tiller.
As noted above, I am playing around with the seating position, this tiller has a big arm.
Only boat that I make sure all my safety gear is on and the leash is attached to me.
Not much hull in the water when on plane.

Nice looking rigs gents. That cope looks like the same hull as my old one but with out the half cab.
Is that a small open Hourston Gongshow?

I was looking for an open Hourston, but most looked like too much work, then I found this hull and trailer for sale.
I have no idea as to its origins, the guy I bought it off of was not much for recollection.
He said it was a custom, that does not narrow anything down though!
It is a very light hull.

You don’t need to spend too much for sun protection if you aren’t fashion conscious. On my old 15’ Skookum we used a $15 patio umbrella and drilled a hole through one of the seat benches for the pole. Combined with Hawaiian shirts and the bright yellow boat it was quite a sight at one of the old JDF derbies. :)

Back