Towing Trucks

I’ve got a 2013 6.0 Chevy gasser 3/4 Ton with a 6 Speed. I don’t tow a lot but I tow to from the Island a few times a year. Works great on my 7200 lb trailer/boat. In particular I like the newer tranny braking systems when you’re going down a hill they work like a Jake brake. I used to freak out about pulling high RPM going up a steep hill or using the trans break going down one but did some research and these things are designed for that. If you’re towing intermittently a 6.0 Chev gas is fine.

Last edited:
Wow guys this is quite the hot topic. I guess I should fill you in on what I ended up doing. After reading bunch online and your opinions here I had the truck inspect by a diesel mechanic I trust. We didn’t find anything wrong, the guy needed to sell as he been layed off for a while. I ended up paying 10k for the truck it is a 2005 lariate with 150k on it. I pulled my boat home from Olympia yesterday with it. I avoided the new 10% tariff which would have been 8k on the boat so I consider the truck payed for. It did an awesome job pulling it no issues what so ever

Last edited:
6.0 l and 6.4 l fords diesels are junk. I can't believe you guys are praising them lol.
2011 and 2012 Hemi have major lifter problem and eat cams, I believe Dodge is covering this in the US but not Canada.
For duramax the LB7 have injector issues, LLY can have head gasket problems if heavy towing.

If I was to buy a used truck, I would pick gasoline (except '11-12 hemi)
Diesel engines are very expensive to repair.

If you want a diesel, The best in order, '06-'07 GMC LBZ, Dodge Cummins '03-'04, and Ford 7.3l '99-'00 but those are getting old now.

Second Gen dodge diesel with a 12v cummmins is what I’d look for.

Undisputed best diesel ever made. Noisy as hell but nearly indestructible.

If you can find one affordable in decent shape it’s the only way to go.

Chevy? I replaced all my Chevy parts with a dodge and never had another problem....

hahaha, no offence meant, just givin you a hard time.

My tow vehicle now is completely different. I bought a used Nissan Titan 5.7L. I am glad you guys put some info up. I wanted a diesel but after reading this I am not so sure anymore. Sure you save in fuel but it looks like that gets eaten up in repair bills. So far driving this truck vs domestic ( GMC 1/2 tons). Just drinks gas.

You know.....I don't drive to work, I ride my bike year round for like 20 years. If I did I would be inclined to a gmc 6.0 gas truck.....they are pretty tough. Hard to beat those trucks. I love my diesel and truly enjoy the power and towing ability but those 6.0 gas chev engines are hard to beat.

I would not buy a diesel for your intended use, they cost way more up front and require costly up keep. They are awesome to drive when they are working properly but it seems all diesels these days have some sort of issues. They are meant for heavy towing on a daily basis and require a open chequebook for repair and maintenance. Brakes front ends all that stuff wear out quick due to the added weight of the motors. I had a 6.4 powerstroke that blew up with 110 000 km on it. I did all the stuff you were supposed to do as far as deletes and tunes but it still blew up. DON’T buy a 6.4 it’s worse than the 6.0l even. I will say I loved driving that truck when it worked, didn’t even feel my boat towing it.

I went with a new 6l gas gmc 2500 and it also works nice to tow. The gmc gas motor is very reliable. If you crunch numbers, diesel doesn’t make sense unless your a business or have lots of disposable income you don’t mind spending.

I think the newer diesels are pretty reliable but cost a lot of money and you still fall into the higher maintenance and repair.

I like my new GMC Sierra 2500 crew short box, but they are a bit of a boat to drive. My F350 was lifted a little with big tires and I found that way easier to drive around the city, easier to park.

I would go gas if I was you, the newer gas engines are a lot more torque than they used to and tow what most people need

Auto sales guys have been flogging diesels to guys who don't need them for years. In foreign markets diesel is the fuel saver option, lots of cars and small trucks/SUVs have them. In north america the marketing angle was all about Heavy Duty. Every time you stepped onto a lot and so much as glanced at a truck, the sales person immediately asked if you towed anything, ever. An affirmative answer got you an immediate guided tour of the diesel lineup. The implication was that "serious" guys don't use the wrong equipment for the job, they don't take a knife to a gun fight. That's heady stuff for the male ego to contend with, and many of them found themselves upcharged 10-12K for a diesel they really didn't need. Sure, they have a boat or camping trailer that weighs 6000 lb, but dig a bit and find the truck only does 10-15,000 km a year and towing boat or trailer is barely 1000 km, or less than 10% of annual driving. Nonetheless they're up for that big upfront cost and some serious annual costs that eliminate any fuel savings.

Not saying diesel is completely bad, just saying that there is serious additional upfront cost and potential buyers - new or used - need to do some careful ROI calculations before they purchase. And for the used buyers, some research on the particular engine they are looking at.

I have to agree that 6.0 L fords are one of the most challenged diesels on the market. if you buy it make sure you get the EGR delete done or it will likely go on you. I had the 6.5 GM diesel, and it was a PIA most of the time. i went with a 6.0l GM gas 2500hd now. yes the mileage isn't great, i only drive 5000kms a year so i don't care about the fuel as much. On the weekend i got about 23l/100km at 90km/h driving on a average highway. if i push it to 110-120km/h like i did last Friday it goes up to 33l/100k, couldn't believe the huge different 20km/h makes! I tow about 7200lbs ish. The 6.0 GM gas is very reliable. My father in law put 520000 kms on his and did nothing to it other than spark plugs. Only sold it because it wouldn't pass E-test. Only the greens don't like it haha

Cummin's all the way.
1) First one was a 1992 5spd standard 4x4. Sold it in 2006. Only repair was a steering box. Took it hunting and at -29 Fahrenheit it started immediately after sitting for a couple of days. It was noisy yes, but it pulled like a freight train. It is still on the road and spoke to the guy who bought it from me and he is still very happy with it. He has had lot's of guys offering to purchase it. I miss that truck. I only sold it, because I wanted an auto and a quad cab.
2) Second one is a 2006 auto, 4x4, quad. Only repairs to date, 1 steering knuckle and replaced the muffler.

When I got my new truck i didnt even bother looking at diesel as if you dont use a truck all that much its a waste. diesel is great if you use them alot and tow alot and move alot other then then that cost of running is WAY to high you need to drive em like you stole them , I settled on a 6.2 gas ford 2012 and my boat comes in at about 8500 to 900 lbs loaded up and it tows it easily. Am I going to fly up a big hill at 130 kmh probably not but do I care no not really. all the newer trucks are all grant in my opinion, ALL of them have quirks. and all have had lemons. I went with price over any thing else. I got that truck for 22 grand with a year warranty on it still in Alberta. from a guy who was selling his TOYS ( not a oil patch rocket) his personal. good deals right now.before and after i got canopy from nanaimo
12250093_10153602356366084_4365287706779513939_n.jpg
10629592_10153602356416084_6509490891345554589_n.jpg

Like wolf said, cost of diesel trucks are way to high upfront to buy and way more to maintain, unless it’s s company truck used to haul lots the numbers don’t make sense. They end up costing way more and the new ones are so complicated to work on. You’ll never get the money back in fuel mileage, never. That being said I owned one that was tuned up Ian’s it was awesome to drive and tow with.

An engine is an engine.....not sure a diesel is any harder or easier to work on than a gas engine. One thing I do know is gas trucks don't hold their value, a diesel does.

Oh
An engine is an engine.....not sure a diesel is any harder or easier to work on than a gas engine. One thing I do know is gas trucks don't hold their value, a diesel does.

Oh diesels are awesome, there’s no question, but you better have the extra budget to run one, or no budget lol., I was just thinking more along the lines when you have to pull the cab off to do do certain jobs cause the ford diesels are packed in there so tightly for example.

Oh

Oh diesels are awesome, there’s no question, but you better have the extra budget to run one, or no budget lol., I was just thinking more along the lines when you have to pull the cab off to do do certain jobs cause the ford diesels are packed in there so tightly for example.
Dunno about that. I have an '06 GMC 3500 Duramax. Apart from regular servicing (oil changes etc), I've spent $1700 on a turbo clean out. I tow a 31' fifth wheel and a 22' Striper. Having towed with a 7.4 litre GMC gasser before, I wouldn't go back to gas for any money.

Dunno about that. I have an '06 GMC 3500 Duramax. Apart from regular servicing (oil changes etc), I've spent $1700 on a turbo clean out. I tow a 31' fifth wheel and a 22' Striper. Having towed with a 7.4 litre GMC gasser before, I wouldn't go back to gas for any money.
Same here, i tow a lot, but still a gas truck is not to compare with the diesel, maintenance is a bit more $ but not that much

My tow vehicle now is completely different. I bought a used Nissan Titan 5.7L. I am glad you guys put some info up. I wanted a diesel but after reading this I am not so sure anymore. Sure you save in fuel but it looks like that gets eaten up in repair bills. So far driving this truck vs domestic ( GMC 1/2 tons). Just drinks gas.

My report on the Titan is it drinks gas. But honestly I am impressed with it so far. Going to buy a newer one coming up.

Back