Fishing from a small zodiac?

fishtime

I'm in Sayward for a month or so and am looking to get out. I have a 10.5 zodiac with an 8 hp 2 stroke. Looked a bit intimidating with the currents and wind at kelsey bay and port h' kusam. Maybe Campbell River is a better option? Thank you for any replies.

I spent many years fishing out of Avon inflatables out on the salt chuck. Rules of engagement:

1)) carry a good set of oars
2)) carry a pump and a patch kit
3)) make sure your outboard is running in tip-top condition
4)) always make sure knives are in sheaths and hook points are buried in cork when underway

Campbell River gets more wind and current then you might want to see in an inflatable that size. Watch the weather no matter where you launch your Zodiac but at Campbell River, I'd be on hyper alert, especially if the wind is blowing southeast on a flood tide

You're very exposed in an inflatble. Just when you're sure the weather is on your side, you hook a rockfish or a dogfish and a spine punctures one of your pontoons....(dont' ask me how I know such things can happen)....

But there's a huge sense of accomplishment when everything works out right

IMG_0132.JPG

Deep Sixes & Dipsey Divers work well from a small boat as does jigging.

When trolling just tuck the rod under your leg and you'll be fine.

X2 for Kelsey Bay - decades ago we caught 4 fish each in 45 minutes out of a 12 ft AL boat trolling cut-plug with banana weights.

Thanks all! Will definitely take your advice Sharphooks. Is rupert inlet worth fishing right now? Looked small boat friendly.

Ya be careful around Kelsey Bay. Some wicked rips setup off Helmecken. Is the zodiac on a trailer or rooftop? If it’s portable, there’s some good small boats places down around Chatham Pt. They’re a bit of a drive into, but some god salmon & bottom fishing. Otherwise, I’d look into Quatsino, or else really pick your days to go out front of Sayward.

Ya be careful around Kelsey Bay. Some wicked rips setup off Helmecken. Is the zodiac on a trailer or rooftop? If it’s portable, there’s some good small boats places down around Chatham Pt. They’re a bit of a drive into, but some god salmon & bottom fishing. Otherwise, I’d look into Quatsino, or else really pick your days to go out front of Sayward.
Ok thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Its rooftop. Was going to ask about rock bay. I visit mcreight lake often

Kelsey Bay ebbing against a westerly even 10-15 kts will stack up steep waves... very little time at slack but man oh man I would suggest previous poster advice ... find another place. The water literally boils, upwells and whirlpools at ebb and flood. Even ocean liners wait to pass thorough Race Passage.

If you go north of sayward try Fort rupert ,tuck behind the islands and venture towards dillon pt.if you try campbell you should be able to pack the boat down the trail at middle pt and fish duncan bay. try a perkins launch cr spit and try right in front of the argonaut dock

If you go north of sayward try Fort rupert ,tuck behind the islands and venture towards dillon pt.if you try campbell you should be able to pack the boat down the trail at middle pt and fish duncan bay. try a perkins launch cr spit and try right in front of the argonaut dock
Was wondering about access into duncan bay. Will have a look next time im down there. Thank you!

Back