Stupid to buy a boat right now?

Your information is no doubt factual, however you might be a little bias...eh
If you think the next 3 years are going to match the last, you might be disappointed!
Bye the way, this is the smallest and cheapest boat I could find on the Kingfisher site
2018 KingFisher 2525 Weekender
Retail Price$177,740.00
Sale Price$164,500.00 plus tax
OR
if you are only into doing a little inside fishing go for this one
21’ Campion 622
$81,752.00 CAD plus tax

So, I say it again...it all depends where you fish and even then it's a tough call to say if now is a good time to purchase a boat!
Unless of course you have so much money you can't possible find a better way to spend it!

Lol. I admit I am biased, but not how you might think. I wish people would stop buying the damn things so I could take some time out for me. Haha

On a side note harbourcraft who manufactures kingfisher boats has upped their projected sales numbers for 2018-19 by approx 15%. And Campions sales are up this year by about 5% and Ranger (although American) has added two new boat models this year alone. Not counting the new outboard model which should be on line next season. There’s obviously money out there somewhere.

Thank you fogged in , you get it..

Thunder, are you looking for a new boat or a used one? With the uncertainty for many with the future of our fishery, some have already decided to pawn off some very nice boats.

Thunder, are you looking for a new boat or a used one? With the uncertainty for many with the future of our fishery, some have already decided to pawn off some very nice boats.
I already have a 17' welded Center console thats awesome for sockeye and trout fishing. I'm thinking of buying another bigger boat. It won't be brand new. Something I can run down the inlet and Barkley sound/offshore . I've had a few bigger boats so I'm familiar with the costs. I'm more concerned with the rumours I'm hearing and reading about huge closures coming up the west coast. Just thought I'd ask for a few opinions.

I keep seeing a lot of doom and gloom responses regarding sport fishing allotments, but in reality, we do as sport fishermen get a pretty reasonable allotment of fish, albeit, when specific zones have slot limits imposed, or closures, the reasons doesn't always seem to add up or be clear. I don't believe for a minute that DFO has any intent to phase out the sport fishery. The financial impact would be far too great. I guess at times like this, we need to put a little diversity in our fishing preferences. I do sympathize for the guiding community, as they rely on those earnings to make ends meet. It's a living. Let's not take it out on each other that regulations are changing from time to time. Hopefully they won't be permanent.
As far as this being the right time to buy a boat, well, I guess that depends on your expectations. My first expectation when I bought my boat was recreation. I can work within the limits. I generally fish in area 14. We are down to a one chinook a day limit. That doesn't change how been on my boat on a nice day makes me feel.

I already have a 17' welded Center console thats awesome for sockeye and trout fishing. I'm thinking of buying another bigger boat. It won't be brand new. Something I can run down the inlet and Barkley sound/offshore . I've had a few bigger boats so I'm familiar with the costs. I'm more concerned with the rumours I'm hearing and reading about huge closures coming up the west coast. Just thought I'd ask for a few opinions.

In the future you gotta be prepared to move and adapt, I would say if your planning on buying a boat just to fish one area, then don't buy! Sounds like you already got a decent setup for inshore terminal opportunities. So many areas on east coast you can hit with that boat! that are really starting to have really good fisheries, Just look at the reports from nanaimo, Thrasher rock up, nanoose bay ect! texada island and up to Port hardy tones of great spots! pick your weather days! and all good!

WCVI can just book with a guide, they will fill your freezer, of course if your really want get a bigger boat then do it, just buy one that you can trailer fairly easy!!

I sold my boat a month ago unsure whether to get another one considering everything, but the fishing /boating bug doesn't go away easily after 45+ years of owning one. I can tell you I'm not seeing any new influx of good used boats on the market,anything worthwhile sells immediately.So if your thinking of selling a 20-25 ft. w/4-strokes let me know,I'm still crazy enough to want one.;)

First off there have been some excellent points on both fronts but definitely an individual decision. I feel for the people that are directly affected by the closures either financially or by inconvenience of having to travel farther to fish. As to what is going to happen in the future there is no doubt of changes...some good and some not so good. It is unfortunate in today's Canada that we seem to always have to lead the way in some sort of Knee Jerk reactions to all worldly problems regardless of if the final outcome helps what was originally intended. Obviously there are concerns for declining numbers of fish and the health if the ORCA numbers but common sense tells me this isn't the solution just the easiest throw of a dart at the moment...IMO

So back to the boat issue....lol I personally have been kicking the idea around for several years on going with a different boat. I'm about 99% sure that I'm going to have a boat built this fall/winter and will be making the final decision this week. I can tell you right now that although many people are selling their boats there has been no shortage of takers for my current boat.....by both dealers and private buyers alike so not everyone is quite done with fishing yet! lol

Let me know what you decide so that I'm not the only "Stupid" one on the water in a new boat. :)

Let me know what you decide so that I'm not the only "Stupid" one on the water in a new boat
Not going to help you much when they close all of fishing down and all you can do is sit at dock dreaming of what it was like to troll past 3 rd rock at otter point.....or off swiftsure bank or rats nose...
You can do all that kind of day dreaming on your lawn...

Jesus Roy . That isn't going happen. I am pissed as anyone over that area since I fish there, but now isn't the time to give up. Hang in there. Look at the Pender guys they dont even have options. Have to save that area 2. Area 18 as of end of month will be locked down no fishing with Cowichan restrictions. At least Sooke/Vic is open. You are always welcome up island here.:) Remember there was a life after Brentwood Bay fishery closed down. I don't believe Sooke will go down. I will be out next week spending my money there. As to original post I would just buy the boat.

Not going to help you much when they close all of fishing down and all you can do is sit at dock dreaming of what it was like to troll past 3 rd rock at otter point.....or off swiftsure bank or rats nose...
You can do all that kind of day dreaming on your lawn...
Anyways not really related to my entire post but pick out what you want to make whatever point you are trying make. Each to their own like I said. Again...I haven’t posted in about a year I wonder why? Lol

Agree with spring velocity I'll always own a boat and I'm sure to find somewhere to fish I love my time on the water if it was all about the fishing I spend a lot of days fishing without a fish and still love it

It's understandable Roy feels the way he do's,we've been hit hard and consistently in area 19-20 in the last few years.For a client to hire a guide and the best he can hope for is a 15 lb. fish (+ or-) these day's is a hard pill to swallow.The price of gas is at an all time high etc..and the closures just don't seem to make any logical sense.But it's just too dam nice on the water to give it up for me,at least not yet.

Jesus Roy . That isn't going happen. I am pissed as anyone over that area since I fish there, but now isn't the time to give up. Hang in there. Look at the Pender guys they dont even have options. Have to save that area 2. Area 18 as of end of month will be locked down no fishing with Cowichan restrictions. At least Sooke/Vic is open. You are always welcome up island here.:) Remember there was a life after Brentwood Bay fishery closed down. I don't believe Sooke will go down. I will be out next week spending my money there. As to original post I would just buy the boat.

You guys in Area 18 have paid the price way to long.. Time to open the the lengendary Separation point again. Record returns on the Cowichan last year !! They need to open it up so you guys have somewhere to fish. Sorry for the hijack..

Oh I love it too trust 32 years guiding I am either nuts or in love with it ....I am just saying be very cautious as if what DFO is thinking of doing hear after july 11 , which im sure they are going to do. people are just sitting on there hands hoping and praying,
im sure ill be selling mine soon too.
All i can say is get a multi use one that you can trailer easily and use in lakes and ocean.
i wish you well in whatever you get.

After all the work on my Hourston, I’m to the point all I need to finish it is the pod and power. Really wondering if dumping $$$$ to finish it is really worth it.

Oh I love it too trust 32 years guiding I am either nuts or in love with it ....I am just saying be very cautious as if what DFO is thinking of doing hear after july 11 , which im sure they are going to do. people are just sitting on there hands hoping and praying,
im sure ill be selling mine soon too.
All i can say is get a multi use one that you can trailer easily and use in lakes and ocean.
i wish you well in whatever you get.

DFO won't do anything this season. The July 11th was cutoff to hear input as far as I know ( someone can correct me if I am wrong). I think the document is a very far stretch from reality. I tend to think it is going to be harder to implement what is being said reading it. It will be an issue to deal with in the fall for the next season. SFI and other groups are already working on it. The great thing about it is election time.

The NGO groups are going after Northern whales so its important to push back the BS at this point.

Here is the document :

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consul...rds/docs/2018-killer-whales-epaulards-eng.pdf

Last edited:
Back