2018 Powell River Reports

Snappers? Are they open? I was under the impression that they were non-retention this year.

Maybe using the old local name for them is causing confusion. I should have said "yellow eye rockfish". Under regs for our region all rockfish species combined 1 per day till closing Sept 30.

Reactions: RBL
We haven't been doing as well the last two times we were out. Lots of fish on the sounder, but not many in the box.
Had one really good fight with about a 15 pounder. He used every trick in the book & after 5 minutes of driving me nuts, he shook the hook, right beside the boat. That one definitely deserved to get away! I did try a new spot for cod & we came home with one just legal spring & a couple of good sized snappers. Not complaining.
Can you tell me where "Sandbanks" is? I haven't heard of that spot before.

When you come out of the harbour and head towards Harwood you will see 2/3 of the way down the island towards the spit, the Sand Banks. Look on your chart and you will see a "corner" where it shallows and you have to go out and around to head north to the spit. Fishing is usually best around the corner.

When you come out of the harbour and head towards Harwood you will see 2/3 of the way down the island towards the spit, the Sand Banks. Look on your chart and you will see a "corner" where it shallows and you have to go out and around to head north to the spit. Fishing is usually best around the corner.

It looked like your net was out a lot that night as well SIN BIN.....

I live in Comox. For all those from the Powell River side, do you prefer Grant's or Coho Point?
All things being equal... which they aren't. Grants wins in my book. But for us its a further run....now for one fish.....and the fishing is good everywhere.... needs to be a nice sunny day flat calm water and make a day of it.

Thanks Charlie. I've fished there, just never heard the local name for it.

Islander 57. I usually go to coho point first. If there's no action there & the winds are ok I head out to Grants.
I'm not an old hand at this, but I seem to find bigger fish at Grants.

I wouldn't think that yellow eye could be successfully "descended". Unless caught pretty shallow, they are in really bad shape by the time they surface. It is pretty frustrating if you're targeting lingcod.
Rock cod usually look ok & are still lively. I'm planning to get a descender this season. Any recommendations on which works the best?

I wouldn't think that yellow eye could be successfully "descended". Unless caught pretty shallow, they are in really bad shape by the time they surface. It is pretty frustrating if you're targeting lingcod.
Rock cod usually look ok & are still lively. I'm planning to get a descender this season. Any recommendations on which works the best?
I bought a Seaqualizer. So far, It's worked pretty good. I fished Winter Harbour about a month ago, and all the yellow eyes I sent back down didn't re-surface, although, the deepest we caught them at was 200'. I think if you descend them as quickly as you can, they stand a good chance. My Seaqualizer is for 50'-100'-150'. I'm going to pick up the other that has settings down to 300'
Just something of note. If you are fishing deep for lings, or halibut, you can usually tell fairly quickly if it's one of those two targets. I take my time reeling up if it feels like a rockfish, especially if fishing deep. They tend to come up in a little better shape.

Hey Islander... Good advice about reeling slowly with a rockfish. It's usually easy to tell between lings and other bottom dwellers. I'll take it slow from now on. I really hate killing fish unnecessarily.

Hi All. Going to the Powell River area the week of July 16th for the first time. What will the fishing be like then based on past year's. Also are there any areas to drop some prawn and crab pots. Any help would be appreciated. I can even bring some wild Yukon bison as a token of my appreciation

Back