Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

I just sold the rig :(. I will be looking to pay gas money and swabbing decks this tuna season for anyone that will take me:D. I still have all my tuna tackle. Any of the experienced folks looking for a deck hand shoot me a PM (I work hard and I pay up). Super busy year this year so only 1 or 2 trips for me.

Last edited:
Wow, that just blows me away....
what would make you sell your passion ?

Blows me away too man. End of an era. Start of a new ;):).
I'm already looking at boat plans and what to build. Something very small to get my out on the water.
I will have a bigger boat again someday. Just the way the cards lay is all. Life gets in the way sometimes :confused::p.

I have lot's of passions. A few of them were more important than the boat lol.

Last edited:
I just sold the rig :(. I will be looking to pay gas money and swabbing decks this year for anyone that will take me:D. I still have all my tuna tackle. Any of the experienced folks looking for a deck hand shoot me a PM (I work hard and I pay up). Super busy year this year so only 1 or 2 trips for me.

If a spot opens up... your next on the list ..you always have a seat on my tub... sorry to hear u moved the Sculpin :( she was a beauty... :)

If a spot opens up... your next on the list ..you always have a seat on my tub... sorry to hear u moved the Sculpin :( she was a beauty... :)

Thanks buddy. She is a small battleship. I will miss her a lot. She will be running out of Renfrew soon. I appreciate the offer big time . I won't let you down work wise or cost wise :). Looking forward to getting out on the big blue with friends :cool:.

Sculpin is fun to fish with there is no doubt. Sorry to hear you sold your boat. I'll keep you in mind for it can be difficult to find people to fish with in this busy town I live in.

Weather is key for boating safety especially when heading off shore. If you are careful with the days you pick to go out there with decent weather/wind you would be fine. It's a long way to go out (if that's where the warm water lines are) but twin motors aren't a necessity if you want to be safe; make sure you go with other guys in other boats and it would help if some of the others have twins just in case someone has a mechanical break down and needs to get towed in then twins would help with a long distance tow in for sure. It is a great fishery and there is a lot of great comradery going on with a lot of great guys out there doing the same things we all love to do and helpful folks who like to see others do well and be safe so guys share info, and usually fish around other guys in some of the same areas so usually there are multiple boats within VHF range of each other. I take a sat phone with me as well just in case we are out of VHF range. There are also the commercial guys out there too who are usually in some of the same areas and are usually within VHF range. But like I said traveling with other boats is a great safety thing and communicating game plans with others in advance I think is also very important.
Fuel is another main concern. Make sure you have more than enough and make sure you are back in before the fuel seller closes so you have enough for the next day.
We headed out before sun up and were back in to refuel before they closed or if we had more than enough for the next day too then we stayed out till dark. One of our best days was the fish hitting before dark. It was none stop action of double, triple and quad hits that night. :)
Ice is a must and you should make plans about that too. You can talk to other fishermen and locals from where you are gonna fish to find out where you can get bulk amounts of ice from the commercial suppliers etc..Bleeding the fish quickly and putting them on ice right away is essential.
Launching will depend on where you want to fish out from ie Bamfield, Ukee, Tofino, or even further north up the west side further. That too depends on where the warm water wants to settle in around at different times..But if your trip is booked ahead of time at a certain place you have to plan accordingly.
I went with just one friend in my boat last year. And the extra moving around space with just two guys (we were running 6 lines out most of the time) is nice but a third guy would be beneficial cause there is a lot going on at times like putting lines in and out, multiple fish hitting at the same time, bleeding and icing the fish, steering/navigating, and spotting surface breaking fish are all equally important tasks when tuna fishing. Too many guys on board can make it difficult too so depends on things like boat space, $ splitting, etc etc..
You will need to get the Terrafin app http://www.terrafin.com/ to monitor the water temps/locations. And keep in mind the site is often not updated before heading out the next day before dawn to fish again. So if you can identify a pattern of where that water is moving to and where guys are getting fish then you can use that info to plan your next days fishing then when you get back in internet range you can check the Terrafin site again to see any updates.
And having a good weather app is essential too like: http://www.buoyweather.com/ Both those sites you pay for full use of the sites.
Having a good sonar/chart you can mark where you were getting fish is essential and quickest routes out and back to the harbor etc. Having radar is essential cause the fog can roll in so thick you can't see much around you. You will need reels with very good drags on them to hold back the Tuna. Last year the average fish size was bigger than other years and this year may be the same. They fight much much harder than even a very large Spring so the reels and rods need to reflect that. I brought my Shimano Hali/Sturgeon rods and bought some new Avet reels for the Tuna. I needed some new Hali/Sturgeon reels anyway so it was that time anyway. They are great two speed heavy drag reels.
The amount you are gonna spend is up to you and your crew and the gear you want to buy, where you stay, how long you fish for etc..
Chasing the fish is all about sharing information with the other guys out there in other boats, checking the sat images for warm water, and physically standing up (safely lol) on a raised area on your boat to sight spot surface breaking tuna, and looking for birds feeding on bait and for bait breaking the surface. All those things can help locate the tuna. Some times you can find yourself only a hundred yards away from breaking fish but if you aren't on top of them with your gear you may not get a bite. I spent most of my time sight spotting fish and racing over to them or heading in a direction to cut them off in the path they were heading. It's a fishery unlike too many others. Very exciting and challenging and rewarding :)
I would crew up before spending money on gear and accommodations etc. It's easy to spend money but it's not always easy to get a crew together at certain dates.

Hope some of this info can help you out. I was on the fence about going Tuna fishing for years. Once I did it I am now hooked for life.

It was guys I met on this forum who helped me with info in getting into this fishery and it is appreciated greatly. A big shout out to those guys!

CD. Thanks very much for your insightful overview. I know this took you time and I appreciate the work effort. Lots to think about and I suspect you learned by some trial and error. Sounds like a fair financial investment is required if you want to do it right. Perhaps crewing first is the right approach. Also, one last question, what about your boat insurance? My policy says no more than I think 20 miles off the west coast. Again thanks.

CD. Thanks very much for your insightful overview. I know this took you time and I appreciate the work effort. Lots to think about and I suspect you learned by some trial and error. Sounds like a fair financial investment is required if you want to do it right. Perhaps crewing first is the right approach. Also, one last question, what about your boat insurance? My policy says no more than I think 20 miles off the west coast. Again thanks.

Hey no problem. Usually from what I've experienced having different size boats over the years and talking to others who have gotten insurance with different sized boats is that commonly the insurance companies/underwriters have different coverage policies for boats under 26' and over 26'. The differences are usually in what areas they will cover and how far off shore they will cover and safety/navigation devices they have on board. I found that with under 26' they seem to want to cover up to around 20 or 25 miles off shore usually and can also have stipulations about certain areas they won't cover. With boats over 26' the coverage areas and distance off shore they cover increases from that size and more upward.
My boat is insured as a 28' with a 30' overall length. I am insured by Johnston Meir (they have a separate special division just for marine coverage). They are the insurance broker and Coast Underwriter is the main insurer. With my boat I am covered around 120 miles off shore. With my coverage I am supplied a map with longitude and latitude degrees showing where the coverage extends to. It is all the white area in the map. See attached map.

An important thing to note is that (at least with Johnston Meir and Coast Underwriter I know this to be true) you can get special coverage added to your insurance even if your boat is under 26' in order to be covered in areas to fish/travel at that they normally wouldn't cover. Such as off shore Tuna areas and Hali banks etc. You would have to call them with an area you want to fish and give them the coordinates for those areas. They may charge you an additional fee for the extended coverage. They will also ask you what safety precautions you will be taking and usually will want proof of safety equipment on board and communication devices and radar/chart plotter info etc. They also may want you to sign a form stating you will be traveling/fishing with other boats for safety to those areas. If you want more info you can PM me and I can get you the contact info for the right gal at JM Marine division and she can answer all your questions. Also a family friend of ours is the main person at Coast Underwriter's so she has been very helpful to us over the years with our boat insurances and questions we have had.

PM-TL3.jpg

I just sold the rig :(. I will be looking to pay gas money and swabbing decks this tuna season for anyone that will take me:D. I still have all my tuna tackle. Any of the experienced folks looking for a deck hand shoot me a PM (I work hard and I pay up). Super busy year this year so only 1 or 2 trips for me.
I’ll miss your reports, they were great

If anyone needs any extra crew this year I would be excited to give it a try as long as our schedules line up. I promise get with the program quickly, work hard to hold up my end, and help with costs, if anyone is up to bringing along a greenhorn.

;);)
Sad to hear you are out this year buddy! I guess we will have to get you out on one of our boats so you can continue on with your awesome narration!! After Hours just went in for a phisical after having a few issues in winter harbour last week! Ended up being major surgery..... new twin 150 four strokes ended up being the fix all. Should be good to go by the end of the week. Economy should more than double!! That being said, the tuna runs are going to be much more affordable, and you my friend are more than welcome aboard on a shot. Keep in touch, and we will hit the warm waters when the fish show up.;)

I’ll miss your reports, they were great

I only sold the boat.......not my camera, tackle, or creative writing skills ;):). I have had half a dozen invites already so I'm sure there will be a picture packed report or two this year :cool:. Planning on heading down South again for a live bait fix. A couple of groups are forming. One of them is T2A. Tuna Addicts Anonymous lol!

:)
I only sold the boat.......not my camera, tackle, or creative writing skills ;):). I have had half a dozen invites already so I'm sure there will be a picture packed report or two this year :cool:. Planning on heading down South again for a live bait fix. A couple of groups are forming. One of them is T2A. Tuna Addicts Anonymous lol!
Nice work John! Well if you don’t need a boat to fish from, at least let us know when and where you are going, and we can buddy boat! You have pretty much mentored me from the start! Between yourself and Smiley, is the only reason I even tried for tuna!! And now have the fever!! I’m not sure weather to thank you, or #%+~%*! Lmao. So looking forward to the 2018 tuna season, with you on board, or on a buddy boat! Regardless, going to be an action packed season to say the least.:)

Just sold my 22' Almar that had a 300hp suzuki and 9.9 kicker. I have had it up to 60 miles offshore of Westport, WA chasing tuna and had a great time. Just pick your days and watch your fuel. Once you get into the fish you are cooked, no other fishing is quite the same. Now I have a 26' Silver Streak with dual 200s and I am chomping at the bit to get going. Can't wait for the tuna to get a little further north. Every year when I am fishing up out of Winter Harbour we bring our tuna gear, but so far we haven't gone. Maybe this year!

Back