2018 Sidney Reports

Anyone been out for prawns lately? Got some family flying in tomorrow for the weekend and was thinking of trying out luck.

Deep Cove to Pat Bay is usually consistent now. However, with the long weekend probably a lot of nets out so the best spots will be crowded.

Anyone been out for prawns lately? Got some family flying in tomorrow for the weekend and was thinking of trying out luck.
I'm probably the worst prawner on the coast but I tried a bunch of sets off Pat Bay a few weeks ago and it was pretty sparse, all smalls indicating it had been fished pretty hard this spring. I noticed some commercial gear being set off Fairfax and wondering how that would be. I'm a bit leery of setting where the current runs as I pull by hand and don't want to pull the amount of lead I'd need to use.

Good luck!

Just a heads up. Saanich Inlet is closed to prawn fishing last time I checked. Only 19-1 to 19-6 is open for prawns. Remainder of area 19 closed.

Best I can see is it is open with limits of 200/day 400/possession? Frig I find it hard to figure this **** out! In today's day and age should be able to search by area and find out everything easy, unless.....I am too old and missed the simple instructions :eek:

Actually I think your right, 19-7 to 19-12 we found looks like is closed! That was the only area I have tried previously. Can I just order some to come into Canoe Cove and call when they arrive by the dock??? Seems a solution!

Actually I think your right, 19-7 to 19-12 we found looks like is closed! That was the only area I have tried previously. Can I just order some to come into Canoe Cove and call when they arrive by the dock??? Seems a solution!

I’ll PM you a spot

I don’t see any closer notice.
Looks to be open as usual.
Please direct me to the closure notice if I’m missing something.
I was thinking I may drop some traps tomorrow

Thanks

I'm also have a difficult time finding the prawn closure in Saanich Inlet... could you paste a link to the proper page so I can see where I'm going wrong?

On the salmon side I finally broke a skunk streak with a thick 14lb wild male Chinook on June 29th: trolling an anchovy at 80' (145' water) with the ebb through Satellite Channel heading towards Piers Island.

Well I can’t find anything on the DFO site about the closure either! I was looking at the app and it says the inlet is closed. I guess it’s open!

You know you’re bad at fishing when:
-The highlight of your day was landing a single dogfish. That was today.
- you’ve NEVER caught a halibut, lingcod, or have NEVER had a double header of Chinook. You have never had a coho to your boat of any size, legal or not.
-people on reports seem disappointed about catching four fish in one day that aren’t very big, but each of them are bigger than the biggest fish you’ve EVER caught.
-you can’t sleep the night before you go out, as in ZERO sleep, because you are hopelessly optimistic and excited that you might actually get one.

Edit: youre losing cannonball to Landing fish is 5-1 in 2018... 5 cannonballs! 5! That’s 75 lbs of lead vs 6lbs of fish :)

I am all of these things, yet I still had a great time this morning with my dad and the weather was great.

Now I’m going to bed.

Last edited:
The best fishing of the year is just around the corner. At least that's what I keep telling myself:) the membership of our club is getting bigger lol. I'm going to keep at it as well and hope to get out a couple times this week now that I've replaced most of my lost gear.

Back