2018 Sidney Reports

Anyone know/is willing to share any decent spots for halibut/cod in the Sidney area?

Have never really fished much out Sidney way, but would like to start.

Thanks all in advance.

Bounced from Powder Wharf to Spit and then SE corner of Coal from 9 to noon. Didn't see much on sounder nor any fish hooked by any of the other 3 boats around.

Went out for a quick couple of passes at powder warf last night, first pass out around 90-120’ saw lots of bait and marked a couple fish, but no luck so I did a shallow pass in tight to the warf and picked up a 8.5lber at 30’ in 35’ of water.

So advTHXance leaves for his guiding and we don’t see a report for almost a month on this thread! Let’s go Sidney!
I will be giving it a go tonight. I’ll see what I can strum up on the ebb.
I will say I went out for a quick evening dip earlier in the week. I had the wifey out for her first time in my boat. It was sunny and flat calm and she really liked it, but we only had about an hour and it was the worst time for tides. No bites. I did see the most arches I’ve ever seen around the powder wharf.

I've been out a couple times in the last month with success. Lots of 10lbish fish around it seems. I even had some of the better fishing I've had in the area during the big tides earlier in the month. Made me rethink some of my strategies around tides.

Fish had herring in their gut instead of the usual sandlance.

I’m bringing fish home for dinner!
... because i stopped at fish on fifth on the way home.

The skunk masters were out. Not a sniff in 4 hours. Bait, spoons, even peed in the water. Drank a beer, dipped the net. Tried green brine. I’m not good at fishing, but dammit I love it! Thanks for the company @Original.

I've been out a few times a week in June, and it's been sloooooow. March/April/May was good, but it's cooled off from what I've experienced. Maybe some of the action guys are getting up island will make it's way down soon.

Was a beauty day thanks Stizzla. I got to fish 2 new areas today and the scenery was gorgeous. There's many reasons that make it a great day, fishing with a down to earth good guy on a super boat and seeing something I've never seen before. Not my video but we watched this today in total amazement right beside us.
You and I are due for a big catch soon, good karma always pays off buddy.

Hamely Point 05:00 - 09:00 Sunday June 24, 2018 - Big old skunk, besides the small flounder 30ft off bottom.... about 7 other boats out there, did not see a net get grabbed at all.
Picked up a 10# and lost 3 others on the 14th evening out there.
Hoping for good wind in the evenings this week to get out and get the lines wet.

I almost got out on Sunday. Started the boat in the driveway, towed it to the launch, then it wouldn't start! :O
Turns out the driveway start was the last start the battery was capable of. Heading out tonight if the wind cooperates!

Reactions: NAD
late report for last Friday. late start due to rooftop volleyball & beer brain injury at the wicket rooftop. 11-2 anchored for halibut on the south end of Sidney channel in the trough. Lots of bait moving through on the slow flood. managed only to get dogfish, after wasting some salmon, octo, and herring. Went form salmon after that for a few hours beside James and the Powder wharf, but no luck on that either. Lots of bait though.

Guys!
It actually happened.
I caught a keepable fish! 69cm (9lb)hatch bleeding badly (engulfed the hook).

Tuesday evening just after high slack at Powder Wharf trolling into the light ebb. There were lots of arches and Bait, but an equal amount of crap in the water.

Purple haze flasher and blue 3" mini Grand Slam Bucktail (first time using it, now I'm a believer). 75' of water, 78 on the rigger, right on the point.
download_20180626_210850.jpg

I hereby withdraw my membership from the Sidney Skunk Club ;)

Guys!
It actually happened.

Tuesday evening just after high slack at Powder Wharf trolling into the light ebb. There were lots of arches and Bait, but an equal amount of crap in the water.

Purple haze flasher and blue 3" mini Grand Slam Bucktail (first time using it, now I'm a believer). 75' of water, 78 on the rigger, right on the point.
View attachment 38629

Thanks for giving hope to all of us... you’re the fishing trailblazer of Sidney!
That is the perfect eating size too! Dinner for 8... Or 8 portions for 1 if nobody likes you.

Made it out tonight for a fish with Nolan, we ended up with a 10 or 12lb spring from the powderwharf. The fish hit an anchovie at 65ft. We only had the 1 bite we had all night.

I was out there for a couple hours as well. Was checking one side and suddenly heard my reel screaming out line on the other, by the time I got my hands on the rod the fish was gone. It was at 51’ on the rigger.

Guys!
It actually happened.

Love that fish bonker!

Back