Yamaha 9.9 oil leak

KCW

I have a small amount of engine oil dripping out of the bottom of the leg . I believe its the crank seal or the oil sump is corroded . Just wondering how difficult it is to remove the power head ? ( 1997 4 stroke )

Thanks

I have a small amount of engine oil dripping out of the bottom of the leg . I believe its the crank seal or the oil sump is corroded . Just wondering how difficult it is to remove the power head ? ( 1997 4 stroke )

Thanks
Might be the prop shaft seal. Fishing line can cut that seal.

Thanks Terrin . I resealed the lower unit last year . Its definitely motor oil leaking

Would removing the lower unit and looking up verify the oil leak is coming from the seal? I mean if the driveshaft is clean with no oil present, it might be something else. Oil past valve seals or??

Removing the power head is not that difficult. You are dealing with a small block that you can handle on your own as its not that heavy. Once you determine where the oil is coming from and if its worth the repair...make sure you replace items that tend to wear after time while you have it apart. On my 9.9 model I have I do the lower pan rubber grommets which you can't replace unless the power head is removed. When they grommets wear there is just enough metal on metal contact between the lower pan and the mid-section it is bolted to that it begins to rattle at certain rpms. I would ask your local mechanic (when you are there to buy parts) what else you should do while you are into it.

make sure it not just the diaphragm for the oil/fuel pump. common. the oil gets everywhere from the exhaust port.

Yep, check to see if your oil is overfull and diluted by fuel. That means either a fuel pump diaphragm with a pin hole or a stuck open t-stat and the motor is running cold.

Thanks for all the feedback , going to attempt removing the power head one night this week.

Back