I was out on Sunday morning for a couple of hours at South Bank for the first time. I kept North of the pack and got a couple of keepers on a double header. One on a white glow hoochie and the other on a pink and black coyote spoon. As I was bringing the gear in to go home a coho grabbed my hoochie in the way up. He prob hit it about 30 ft from the surface. Released the coho.

I'm glad I moved out here. Sure beats Vancouver Harbor fishing. Thanks for all the info everyone. I've been learning lots from the forum and listening in on conversations at Cap n Hook.

Nezfer, an unsolicited tip for bringing in gear at the end of the day, that often results in coho and even the odd spring, is to continue at troll speed, pop your gear off the clip and put the rod back in the holder. While you bring up the cannonball, unclip and put away your release, ball, etc, your gear slowly rises up through the water column as you troll, often triggering a bite. Once one sides away, I reel in, pop the other side and repeat.

Cheers!

Ukee

Nezfer, an unsolicited tip for bringing in gear at the end of the day, that often results in coho and even the odd spring, is to continue at troll speed, pop your gear off the clip and put the rod back in the holder. While you bring up the cannonball, unclip and put away your release, ball, etc, your gear slowly rises up through the water column as you troll, often triggering a bite. Once one sides away, I reel in, pop the other side and repeat.

Cheers!

Ukee

Used this method to huge success up at Shearwater a few summers back. Coho slammed it almost every time AND caught a 42 lb spring exactly as mentioned. My buddy called it the 'Alex method' as I was the first to hook up doing this and it made some sense so we kept at it each time we pulled a rod up to check or switch.

That trick worked for me in Bamfield a couple weeks ago. We stack two rods per downrigger. I had a nibble on my one rod that had an anchovie so I had to pull it up anyways. I was down around 110' on the rigger, huge bait ball from 50-90', so I popped the 2nd rod off the clip and joked that I would just let it drift up through the bait ball and sure enough I hooked a fish haha. We had a good laugh.

Heading out to Bamfield on Monday, as I am retired and its all a weekend. Been there a few years back, had lot of fun and action. I'm a regular at neahbay, but looking to get into better fishing grounds. Looking for a new staple. Great forum, dont hold it against me cause I'm from the states, I come as only a fisherman looking to learn as I go. New waters and new fun. Here we go!

Heading out to Bamfield on Monday, as I am retired and its all a weekend. Been there a few years back, had lot of fun and action. I'm a regular at neahbay, but looking to get into better fishing grounds. Looking for a new staple. Great forum, dont hold it against me cause I'm from the states, I come as only a fisherman looking to learn as I go. New waters and new fun. Here we go!

Go get 'em Norman, love fishing Bamfield.

Reserved on the 05:15 ferry on July 1. It's been a long 10 months. It'll be two Ukees, a Tofino, 2 more Ukees, plus fingers crossed for YVR sockeye for my boat this summer I hope.

aside from heading to big bank, where is another decent area for hali. father is comimg in the next few days and doesnt want to travel that far. Any close to Ukee ?

I will be there Monday also, first time to bamfield/ ukee. I’m super excited. I will b in the blue thundered with a hardtop. Tight lines.

aside from heading to big bank, where is another decent area for hali. father is comimg in the next few days and doesnt want to travel that far. Any close to Ukee ?
Do you anchor?
I have a couple spots that people whom I respect, seeing the desperation in my eyes, gave me. Sorry can't tell you those.
I have caught them trolling at outer lighthouse, by the yellow can close to inner lighthouse, inside of starfish, and near Great Bear Rock. Also got a nice one in the rocks about 2 miles form the gas dock. that one was the best because I found it myself, even if it was a fluke.
UkeeD has put a chart on the Bamfield thread.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...mfield-and-barkley-sound-reports.67989/page-4

Was a great weekend. Hooked up on Springs just outside the harbour today. Yesterday was out front of Black Rock and just before Wya Point. Was running dummy flashers off the balls with Anchovies and Coyote spoon (white, black, pink) on lines.

I was fishing the same area on Friday away from the fleet and it was great. A couple boats took notice on Saturday and followed my trail. It was basically myself in a black thunderjet and a North river fishing that area and we were doing very well. But Friday was amazing for everyone fishing around wya.

Was a great weekend. Hooked up on Springs just outside the harbour today. Yesterday was out front of Black Rock and just before Wya Point. Was running dummy flashers off the balls with Anchovies and Coyote spoon (white, black, pink) on lines.

Was out today with three buddies. .. Intentions were hali... Didn't get there till 8 and headed to long Beach usual good spot for anchor... Got three springs one about 16 one about 12 and smaller 9 pound then anchored at 11am for hali... Sat on peak till 300 pm no luck decided to pull up and headed for harbour stopped at lighthouse bank and got one small 20 pound hali drift jigging beauty day but fishing wasn't hot... Tried white hottchies,anchovies, turds and got em on the old 36 needle fish for salmon... Wouldn't call it hot by any sense of imagination but was a beautiful safe day. ... Can't ask for more...

Back