Winter Harbour Tips and Tricks - 1st trip to Quatsino

BigReel

Headed out this weekend for 3 nights to Winter Harbour and we are rookies to the area.

Looking for the best spot for moorage as we plan to sleep on the boat. We are bringing food and gas. I hear the outpost has ice. Launch from Coal Harbour.

Any tips from the experienced? Anywhere to store the coolers and gear? process/freeze fish? Any lodges take in weekenders? Any areas to avoid? Going to try drifting for hali, hit some lings, and salmon.

Should I bring prawn traps?

If someone is in the area and wants to meet up or have a beer let me know.

Not looking for set ups but if you feel like sharing you can PM or post. That would be great.

Hi BigReel,

The government wharf is $.75 per foot, other places are $1.00. We are within a couple hundred feet of each other, so no real difference other than price. The government side is general moorage, no reserved spots, but in the last 14 years I can only think of one August weekend where we had to raft boats (other than a commercial opening). Outpost has cubed and granulated ice by the bag, I have flaked ice by the cooler.

Gas and general store at the Outpost, there is a food stand here as well if you don’t want to cook on your boat. Not to many lodges left, most rooms are already booked up. Cold water bathroom at the community building and coin-op showers over at the Outpost. Fish cleaning tables on all docks, normally don’t store fish at our place, but you can always ask nicely :)

In my opinion, I wouldn’t bother with the prawn or crab traps, spend your time fishing LOL.

If I am around, always willing to talk fishing, as with most people here, very laid back place.

See you this weekend.

Regards

Fishyboy

stay at the outpost, showers, laundry , fuel dock. The area around the lighthouse was good for us this past week limited on springs and cohos.If the weather co-operates just go out to the 300 to 340 foot depth and try trolling for salmon or jigging for bottom fish, there is no structure out there but we did okay for bottom fish. Lots of structure closer to shore so just move around.

Anything I need to know about running Quatsino Narrows?

Fishyboy99 - take a look for the red striped orca this weekend.

I've been to Winter Harbour about this time of year every year for the last 3. A couple years ago I stayed out there for a full 9 days and had a blast.

To answer some of your questions: I would not bring prawn or crab traps. The only thing I've ever successfully caught is slime eels and squat lobsters. I'm sure there's a way to get prawns out there but I haven't figured it out and generally the fishing is too good to screw around with traps. I normally put in at Coal Harbour and rip out - the narrows are no big deal.

If the weather cooperates getting out to 250+ feet near Brooks was great for springs but I've also done fine for springs at the light house and in the first bay just north of the light house (can't remember the proper name). There are some really good coho spots between chapman Islet and Koskimo Islands (the first bay inside quatsino on the south wall) and we've pounded Lings and bottom fish basically anywhere out there that looks fishy.

One of the things I love about that area is that almost every where that looks fishy IS fishy. The guides and the locals have their sweet spots which I'm sure are better than average but we've anchored up and caught world class hali, ling and yellow eye on the same anchor set in the middle of no where that no one would ever suggest... If you have a bit of time just find a spot that you can get to that looks promising and experiment.

Have fun!

We sell descenders at the OUTPOST Store.
Spring fishing has been excellent in the shallows off Lippy Point northwest of Kains Lighthouse.
Any small Sandlance Needlefish patterns are working... ask in the store about the AP Sandlance spoons. Take at look at the Soundwave J31 or Yozuri LGG11 Needlefish hoochies... they are particularly good right now too. You are in for a great time ... fishing has been excellent

Back