2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hello,

I'm planning a trip in August and trying to determine whether the Navionics chip in my Lowrance LCX 25C will cover the Nootka Sound area. It appears that I have a chip called: Vancouver Island . SD/913G, Jan 2006 , 128MB
The chip has detailed information for the area that I normally fish (Victoria to Port Renfrew). However when I use the cursor to move to Nootka Sound I don't get the same level of detail on the screen. Instead I get some very rudamentary mapping which is not suitable for navigation or fishing.

Three questions:

1. Does my chip cover Nootka Sound?

2. If so, how do I activate the actual detailed map for Nootka on my Lowrance LCX 25c?

3. If no to the above does anyone have a chip compatible with my model for sale or know where to get one?

Hello,

I'm planning a trip in August and trying to determine whether the Navionics chip in my Lowrance LCX 25C will cover the Nootka Sound area. It appears that I have a chip called: Vancouver Island . SD/913G, Jan 2006 , 128MB
The chip has detailed information for the area that I normally fish (Victoria to Port Renfrew). However when I use the cursor to move to Nootka Sound I don't get the same level of detail on the screen. Instead I get some very rudamentary mapping which is not suitable for navigation or fishing.

Three questions:

1. Does my chip cover Nootka Sound?

2. If so, how do I activate the actual detailed map for Nootka on my Lowrance LCX 25c?

3. If no to the above does anyone have a chip compatible with my model for sale or know where to get one?

If you turn on your system it’ll let you see the coverage area if you minimize it. If the information you’re getting on Nootka is not detailed you don’t have that area.

Thank you for your response Pescador, looks like I'm in the market for a used card for a unit that Navionics no longer supports.

F5B4EC11-1930-44FE-BA9F-DA74EE2BA34D.jpeg 94178D23-8D9B-493E-9B4B-F2BF86CB49FF.jpeg Fishing has really picked up for Salmon in the last 3 days. The Reef is the best spot anywhere around the Bouy.

Two nights ago was the first night fish with the new group and we blasted off about 3 miles short of the Bouy in 90 feet of water and 90 feet on the downrigger and started with a big bite and a few good runs and the fish got off. Then went 3 bites and 3 in the box.

The water was flat calm and everyone was catching fish. We got one more to make 4 all on a 4” Tubby 639. The other side lots a couple on spoons as they didn’t stick.

It was one of the flatest nights I’ve seen offshore in a long time.

Today was the same at the Reef with lots of Salmon and then went off bottoms fishing.

It sounds like lots of fish coming down from up North so it should get even better

Good News! Thanks for the report! We are off to Nootka today. Staying at Moutcha over the weekend then off to Critter Cove.

If you go through your menu somewhere in it you maybe able to change it to different coverage areas. I needed to that on may old Lowrance 135 when I went to the west coast. Google it.

Well cpony, I owe you a case of beer!
I was able to adjust the multiple map options that covered separate areas of Vancouver Island until I found Nootka.
If your ever in the Sooke area let me know for your beer of choice.
Cheers,
Dave

Just got back from nootka! Salmon fishing was excellent ! lots of springs between 10-12 lbs. I had couple over 20 and the rest where mid to upper teens. Red can on the reef was the spot to be. FISH DEEP! 10 ' off the bottom at all times. White hootchie with a ace fly stuffed inside took 80% of the fish! Goodluck out there.

Just got back from nootka! Salmon fishing was excellent ! lots of springs between 10-12 lbs. I had couple over 20 and the rest where mid to upper teens. Red can on the reef was the spot to be. FISH DEEP! 10 ' off the bottom at all times. White hootchie with a ace fly stuffed inside took 80% of the fish! Goodluck out there.

Sounds like a great trip! Good to hear

Not a fishing report..
Just heard (and saw pics) of a Grady (a resort boat) that hit land hard at San Carlos and sunk.
Boat has been retrieved.
Info is 1 in critical condition in Victoria

Last edited:
Not a fishing report..
Just heard (and saw pics) of a Grady (a resort boat) that hit the rocks hard at San Carlos and sunk.
Boat has been retrieved.
Info is 1 in critical condition in Victoria

Terrible. Not a place you’d expect an accident to happen. I’d be interested in what caused it. Prayers to anyone injured.

Terrible. Not a place you’d expect an accident to happen. I’d be interested in what caused it. Prayers to anyone injured.

By the looks from the pictures the boat hit going at a high rate of speed.

I've heard what happened but will let news come out from the authorities.
And yes prayers to any involved

Last edited:

Agreed. SanCarlos is most definitely not the area you would think of hitting rocks unless you literally ran into the shore ? hope all are ok

There is a reef that runs on either end of the island that PARALLELS San Carlos and Bligh. Very quick rise, and very deceiving.

That spot has taken a few cannon balls from us over the years when we trolled over to Hoise, but it is a good spot sometimes because of the sharp break, just have to learn to stay parallel.

Short of running right at San Carlos light, where there is a big rock close in, its hard to imagine what happened here.

All the same, lets hope everyone recovers from this.

Drewski

I would be interested to see where this occurred. I have fished there several times and can’t think of where a boat could run aground.

Saw that rig up on the rocks on our way past. Tragic.
Too rough to go past the Lighthouse. 3 Springs, biggest 21#, 4 YoYos with 1 115cm Hali (38.3#)
Out to the Whale's Tail Sunday. FLAT calm. Almost tubbed out with 5 Springs biggest 18# 'Everyone' was out there
Cop Car doing well offshore

fish the Mootcha Derby on the weekend got 3 place but was not very happy this year they cut down the prize money by 1/2 and not telling people about it, made promesse that every people with a ticket was going to get a prize and with derby t shirt people would get Yamaha hat but they did not have them when my customer purchase the their derby ticket but was told that they would have them for the celebration on Sunday so on Sunday saw many hats been giving out and when my customer (older people) ask for their hats they said they ran out of hat and 1/2 hour later saw more people getting hat giving to them ??? i had 3 customer and they never got a price for their ticket, no hat and 1/2 the money prize so they will not be back next year for the derby. All i am trying to said is if you run a derby please be honest i feel even worst now since they were elderly people and left with a bad taste in their mouth.

but on the same trip we did get a nice 50 lb lingcod we thought we had the big one for the derby smile. what did work best for me outside was the smallest spoon you can find in my box glow white with a purple line on it with a purple haze flasher on the bottom

Attachments

• 50 lb lingcod # 2.jpg
    50 lb lingcod # 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 235
Back