2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Morning fishing was a dead loss. Over a dozen boats and no nets out.
A few shakers
nice fishing conditions...wind was not a problem.

Out from 8:30 to 11:30, No salmon for us.
World's smallest ling cod, and a flounder of some sort (may have been fishing a little close to the bottom) all returned.

Oak Bay was all right this weekend good early morning action both days. 1 for 3 on Saturday and Sunday was 2 for 4, but the 2 I got I released as they were 12 lbs wilds .the other 2 were on 1 put up a good flight and then it was gone. Counted 26 boats on Sunday. Saw many hook ups early morning and fish landed. There is so much bait on the flats, crazy ball ups everywhere. Nice to see as this will keep the fish around and fatten them up. It's by no means epic but they are there.

A small group of whales came through Oak bay this afternoon around 2:00pm.
I didn't know they were there until the sound of the blow hole made me jump out of my seat.
3 whales surfaced 30' behind my boat and swam underneath me with out getting tangled
in any of the downrigger or fishing lines.
pretty cool !

Transient Orcas went thru Oak Bay late yesterday afternoon and were seen to have nailed at least two seals off the Chain Islands and were chasing them over to Fiddle Reef. Fishing was dead on a good flood tide off the Flats.

Instead of sleeping in and having a warm shower....

I decided to get up early and try the gap.... fished for about an hour before heavy rain and wind moved in and soaked me to the bone... Saw some bait balls and a seal but no fish. Saw one other boat that looked like a guide but they didn’t stick around long. And just me at the launch ... should’ve taken that as a sign ....

Last edited:
Currents and weather made for a nice morning... 6:30 to 11:00 without a sniff. Did drag along a couple of 5" lings again which I didn't notice till I did the regular gear check...

Did a dawn shift 430 to 9 on the flats , one bite one fish , a fat 13 on bait 60’ feet. Verrry slow.

Glad someone found one. Was one of only about 4 boats on a relatively calm Monday afternoon on the flats. Not a sniff. Tide was good and there was plenty of sign of bait, just no fish. The consolation prize was 4 crab including the biggest hard shell male I have caught in Victoria, I even weighed it, 2 lb 12 oz.

Thinking of trying Constance Bank over the next couple days. Any news from that location? Any fish on the SW corner on the dropoff??

Back