Automatic Bilge Pump issues

I've had three different Rule automatic bilge pumps
The automatic 750GPH
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/marine-and-rv/rule-electric-submersible-pumps/rule-750.htm

With all three, after a few years they get stuck on and won't switch off in auto mode, have tried cleaning but all relatively sealed, anyone else have this issue?
I just wired in a separate float switch when mine started doing that, works fine for me but I trailer my boat, if it was moored I 'd buy a new pump with a separate float switch.

Last edited:
It looks like I did not fully grasp the issue. I just noticed that my new spare not installed 750 gph auto start pump has an electronic water sensor to force it to start up. Apparently it can tell the difference between water or a mix of oil and water and pure oil to prevent pumping pure oil and possibly fuel into the ocean or lake. In short an environmental safety feature and one wonders if some jurisdictions are now mandating this. My older installed 750 pump uses a built in float switch, not a sensor, which may explain why it sounds like it is far more reliable and longer lasting compared to the newer sensor type. Not to mention that my boat has no inboard/IO motor to leak oil into the bilge and a new built in gas fuel tank. Don't know if the new sensor type could detect pure gas if an old fuel tank were to leak into the bilge and refuse to auto pump it. Your nose would tell you that anyway.

Last edited:
This discussion has got me thinking about changing them out more frequently to be sure they are strong and fresh. even if the existing ones are working great. When you hear about all the problems people have with the newer ones and their early failure rates it is hard to give up on older, possibly better built models that have been problem free for many years. I have been thinking about an idea for an emergency pumping option for the boat and perhaps I will start a new thread on it and see what people think.

I think a discussion on the emergency option is a great idea. Go for it.

The Sculpin has 2 manual double pump (pumps on the pull and the push) hand held pumps stowed up the bow on her. Whale makes some great manual permanent mount style manual pumps as well. Everyone should think twice about all the electric stuff on their boats. When your batteries fail...and they can...what are you going to do?

If I had a boat with non self bailing decks I would have 2 Whale manuals installed under the gunnels somewhere. Again this is getting off track. I hope you start that thread :).

I have a decent sized Rule I will set up with a level switch and a manual on switch but I was thinking of using a 115 Volt ac utility pump with a little inverter I have and I don't have a drainplug on the boat anymore so during a recent monsoon I ended up with a fair bit of water in it. Man that thing pumps! Might get both!

Back