How many Chinook are we allowed ?

Steve95

I have just recently started fishing in the ocean and have only been keeping the odd fish. But a friend mentioned the other day that there is only room on the licence to record 15 fish because you are only allowed 15 a year. I can't find anything online, other than saying you have to record what you keep so I am wondering what the regs are.

I have just recently started fishing in the ocean and have only been keeping the odd fish. But a friend mentioned the other day that there is only room on the licence to record 15 fish because you are only allowed 15 a year. I can't find anything online, other than saying you have to record what you keep so I am wondering what the regs are.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

Doesn't hurt to read this before each trip to a new area.
For example, I don't crab much, but I thought the limit was 4. It's 6, at least where I am going it is.

Either 15, 20, or 30 depending on the area they were caught. There are additionally daily and possession limits that vary by area and closures. Please read the regs, although it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's going on with the regs website.

Area 19 you are permitted 20 Chinook/year.
Actually only in 19-1 to 19-4 are you allowed 20 Springs. Oddly enough the rest of Area 19 you may only keep 15. Another one of life’s mysteries!

I've caught 15 in a year. More than enough for me and my family of 5 and then some to give away. 30 would be way too much, unless you ate salmon for every meal!

I guess it depends on the size of the salmon.
15- 20+ lb Springs is more than enough.
however the fish are getting smaller and 8-10lb fish don't go as far.

I guess we will have to let you fish in the forage zones with the SRKW :)

I usually put about 8 on my license.

Enough to feed the family and whatever is leftover in the springs goes in the smoker.

Lets reduce the limit to 15 coast wide to allow more for the SRKW and of course the nets in the Fraser River for southern Chinook. In these times we should be very careful what we wish for.

HM

I actually think the annual limit is almost irrelevant with the most populated areas having limits of 1/2 now.

Absolutely. I fish for Chinooks about 40 days a year and have never tagged more than 10. Are there many on here that ever use their 30?

I know a few local guys who are on the water all spring and summer when the wind allows. They know what they are doing and seldom get skunked and often times "tub out". I am sure there is always room for one more on the license they are carrying but they damn well killed more than 30. Lots of inventive ways to fill the freezer for guys who are so inclined. These new limits are just for the honest guys.

Lets reduce the limit to 15 coast wide to allow more for the SRKW and of course the nets in the Fraser River for southern Chinook. In these times we should be very careful what we wish for.

HM

Like Halibut reducing the yearly limit won't save much, I believe it has to get under 7 chinook a year for it start to really to start to make a difference, keep in mind that 50% of the chinook caught are from guided operations. So their is probably a lot of people that go home with their possession limit from their annual trips and that's it.

In my mind reducing the possession limit keeps people fishing close to home. Daily limit effects hot fishing days and peek run times and annual limits affects the subsistence guys that live in the middle of nowhere or close to good fishing locations.

Like Halibut reducing the yearly limit won't save much, I believe it has to get under 7 chinook a year for it start to really to start to make a difference, keep in mind that 50% of the chinook caught are from guided operations. So their is probably a lot of people that go home with their possession limit from their annual trips and that's it.

In my mind reducing the possession limit keeps people fishing close to home. Daily limit effects hot fishing days and peek run times and annual limits affects the subsistence guys that live in the middle of nowhere or close to good fishing locations.
I don’t really think the subsistence guys that live in the middle of nowhere are affected at all or are plentiful enough to be any real problem?The odds of seeing a CO out there are slim to nil.

I don’t really think the subsistence guys that live in the middle of nowhere are affected at all or are plentiful enough to be any real problem?The odds of seeing a CO out there are slim to nil.

At some point we have to assume their are some honest people out there

Yes but they aren't the ones that whack 50 springs a year like onefish suggested. Those guys do exist

Theirs guys in the lower mainland that wack chum and feed them to their dogs...one guy got busted at stave with over 30 in his pick up truck.. dirt balls everwhere

I was more referring to for the purpose of setting limits we need to assume that most will act within thoes limits.

I'm surprised at someone that would want to whack so many, Fish is not very high on my list of favorite foods. If the government limits pop and chips i will be up in arms.

Back