2018 Alberni Inlet Reports

I believe the history is they gave the sporties more access to chinooks and cohoes in exchange for the commercials getting more chances at sockeyes.
Ironnoggin would know much better than I. He would likely point out that this exchange stinks for commercial trollers, since they don't get much of a shot anything now.

I believe the history is they gave the sporties more access to chinooks and cohoes in exchange for the commercials getting more chances at sockeyes.
Ironnoggin would know much better than I. He would likely point out that this exchange stinks for commercial trollers, since they don't get much of a shot anything now.

Yes sort of how that developed in terms of priority access under the allocation policy. Who knows now given recent decisions and a re-write underway.

Sockeye fishing is getting better each day. The peak migration is normally the last week of June and first week of July. So it should keep improving.

Little spotty today - not many fish. Apparently the commercial guys did well on Tuesday.

Little spotty today - not many fish. Apparently the commercial guys did well on Tuesday.
Not certain where you are getting your information from but the gillnet opening was not very good out in the sound according to my gillnet friends There were a few boats with fish at the Bamfield line but many boats had under 50 fish which is very poor fishing. I trust my sources and had hoped for a better report.

Spotty fishing around China Creek according to the folks at the marina.

Still spotty. Some guys are getting 3 or 4 and others are getting 8 or more. The Gill Netters got their 10,600 fish so they reached quota. No fishing next week for the Commercial guys

Sport is still at 2/day

Enjoy

Went out today to start the sockeye season. We started at Lone Tree working toward China Creek. Ran into a school half way down and managed to put 9 fish in the boat and lost several others. All our fish were very shallow, as in under 30 feet. Hoochie show today for us. I also saw a few decent schools of fish. All the action for us was before 830, then it really died off once the sun came out.

I have fished for sockey in a local lake and people use small pink hoochies with glow head and troll slow. With several dummy flashersattached to Downrigger with flasher and hoochies above dummy flashers. How long of a leader, is common?

Slow start but eventually decent bite today. Seeing a few more schools which is good.

Leader lengths depend on what you are using. Just hooks I use 16 to 18 inch leaders, hoochies 22 to 27 inch leaders. Vary the leader length depending on speed and how aggressive the fish are being. Speed is very important. They have super soft mouth, so you have to be very gentle when playing them. The land to loss ratio is often about half or more depending on the skill of the angler.

Slow start but eventually decent bite today. Seeing a few more schools which is good.

Leader lengths depend on what you are using. Just hooks I use 16 to 18 inch leaders, hoochies 22 to 27 inch leaders. Vary the leader length depending on speed and how aggressive the fish are being. Speed is very important. They have super soft mouth, so you have to be very gentle when playing them. The land to loss ratio is often about half or more depending on the skill of the angler.
Hi Searun, I'm very curious about you guys fishing with just black hooks. Is there a particular hook style and size you use for this? what about a black swivel attached to the hook? What lb test leader when using hooks only? If you don't want to give up this information I'll understand completely!

Hi Searun, I'm very curious about you guys fishing with just black hooks. Is there a particular hook style and size you use for this? what about a black swivel attached to the hook? What lb test leader when using hooks only? If you don't want to give up this information I'll understand completely!

not an expert by anymeans as sum on here on sox
50 lb leader , 18-27 in leaders , 2.2 - 2.5 mph , changes at times , ive slammed them at 2.75 mph ??
4/0 black eagle claw hooks will do , i use tandems , very close together , no swivel ,some guys just prefer 1 hook...
small spoons can also be deadly

fd

Am I understanding this right? Sockeye are biting bare hooks??? Learn something everyday day!

We fished 3 days and got possession limits of sockeye. It was okay but not hot. We trolled Dunsmuir up to the Sproat Narrows using pink and dark blue squirts. Leaders around 24 inches seemed to be best. Most of the fish are on the small side.

We've been fishing Black Hooks in the Inlet for over 20 years. Friends that developed the technique (originally came from the Lake Washington fishery in Seattle) used to be 'seasonals' at China Creek in the 'old days'. In a particularly tough year in the late 90's over a glass of Grappa, I was handed an 'old' leader they had in the trailer when I asked why they were limiting daily (5 in their boat) when everyone else was struggling. It was 40#, 24" leader with 2 rigid tie 1/0 Owner Black Chrome hooks tied about 1/2" apart. When we put it on the next day it didn't matter where we put it, it kept getting bit and has continued to get bit to the present.
The theory is that black is the last color to drop out of the water spectrum, so they are easy for thr Sockeye to see, and they are 'curved' like Krill, so imitate a food source. Maybe no where near factual, but we had to come up with something. It sounds good. We know friends there have experimented with red and chartreuse hooks, but the black seem to be most consistant. Some years we will have them on all four rods, sometimes only one or two. They really seem to shine when the fish drop to 80/90 feet or deeper. On our boat, black hooks always go there.
Hopefully, that sheds a little light on the history.
jc

Back