Weight distribution hitched for boat trailers

Hi Deuce I just went through the same process with my boat trailer. I found boat trailer tongue weight for a tandem axle trailer listed as 5-7 % not the standard 10 % for a travel or utility trailer. The info. I got was from a boat trailer manufactures web site. They also have different numbers for single axle boat trailers as well.
The number surprised me as I thought it should be 10% as well .
Boat trailers dont have the A frame style hitch connection they use a reach style frame, so no way to use an equalizer.
I had 725 Lbs on my ball hitch 7000 on the trailer and towed 4800 Km on a week long trip we towed our boat from PEI to Alberta last month.
I found the tandem front axle load much higher that the rear tandem when weighing at a scale.
When I got home I moved the axles forward 8 inches to get 525 tongue weight 7200 trailer .
It tows better than before no sway at all I also found the front tandem tire pressure needed to be 10 psi higher than the rear due to the load.
I used a heat gun to find the front tires were 30 degrees higher in temp. than the rear so I added air to the front 65 55 rear and got the temperatures within 10 degrees .
the infra red heat gun is great to check wheel bearing temperatures, tires, when you stop for fuel .

https://www.shorelandr.com/pages/pf_trstep3.htm

Thanks Mike. I've never weighed each axle separately and it kind of seems like something I should not have overlooked in hindsight. I have noticed the rear wheels on the trailer have a hint more bulge than the front at times so perhaps there is something there. I don't know if I love the idea of having different pressures in the tires but I should really start by knowing what each axle is carrying not just the net weight on both axles. Seem kind of obvious now that I think of it. Thanks for the idea!!

Thanks Mike. I've never weighed each axle separately and it kind of seems like something I should not have overlooked in hindsight. I have noticed the rear wheels on the trailer have a hint more bulge than the front at times so perhaps there is something there. I don't know if I love the idea of having different pressures in the tires but I should really start by knowing what each axle is carrying not just the net weight on both axles. Seem kind of obvious now that I think of it. Thanks for the idea!!

Hi Deuce I really noticed the difference when checking tire temperatures when we stopped for fuel on our trip across Canada . I had a 30 degrees F differential in the front and rear tire temp. front was hot added air pressure to find the tire cooled to a 10 degree difference.
So I checked the truck as well to find the rear needed more air due to the extra 725 tongue weight , once I had them aired up for the extra load the temperatures were very close on both truck and trailer. At 65 PSI the rear tires showed center rib wear from over inflation in the first 1500 Km so I dropped them to 55 .
Once I weighed the trailer at home it all made sense .

I weighed the trailer last night and there was a shocking difference in weight between the 2 axles. Like the rear was almost 3x the front. I lowered my hitch only a couple inches and it sorted everything out. I’m absolutely shocked how much having my hitch a few inches too high screwed everything up. It literally trailers like a different setup now.

Good to hear you have it sorted out.

Level is a huge factor in towing too many vehicles going down the road with lots of angle on the hitch.

If you were to hit the brakes hard the trailer wants to climb into the tow vehicle or jack knife it's dangerous

Last edited:
Back