2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Those Coyote Sardine spoons have been rock solid for me Started being the go to spoon over in Nanoose and worked just as well over here in Barkley. I got some to test last year and they were often able to stay head to head with bait which I thought I would never be able to say. They tweaked the spoon over the winter and reintroduced it this year. I’m sure there are other spoons that are working really great for guys Glad to hear your trip was epic. See you on the water.
Have to agree on the sardine spoons, Its been working great up here for me so far this season. One of my go to spoons now.

Heading up Monday for my family’s first trip. Looking forward to a good week of fishing. I think I will be able to figure out the salmon part, but any helpful hints for halibut, other bottom fish would be greatly appreciated.

Heading up Monday for my family’s first trip. Looking forward to a good week of fishing. I think I will be able to figure out the salmon part, but any helpful hints for halibut, other bottom fish would be greatly appreciated.
5-7-11 miles off bamfield all produce for me last year, 11 was the best for easy limits

5-7-11 miles off bamfield all produce for me last year, 11 was the best for easy limits
Thanks, I see some gravel humps about 8-11 miles out from cape Beale light house. Is it better to anchor , or just drift with the tide. I usually anchor while fishing for halibut while in the straights. Constance, hein , middle banks.

anchoring works,, stick and stay... i like to backtroll to slow down the drift when the tide is moving. lost a monster last week at 7 mile.

Thanks, I see some gravel humps about 8-11 miles out from cape Beale light house. Is it better to anchor , or just drift with the tide. I usually anchor while fishing for halibut while in the straights. Constance, hein , middle banks.
I usually drift, but anchor works too, drift the edge of the shelf at 11 miles 210ft to 240ft

Got back last night from a weekend in bamfield with some buddy s.
Best fishing weve had in June for a few years.
First evening Kirby. We boatedt one and lost one.
Next morning Beale where we got 3 springs. Afternoon troll was spent down Fleming and then back up there wall where we couldn't get a fish. Next morning we hit Whittlestone planning to troll to Beale but instantly got a nice fish. Then spent the next 2.5hrs with non stop spring action. Got our limit of 6 and we're back at the cabin. We'd heard there was a good mix of coho at Cree so tried there but only could hook up springs again. Safely released. Tried swale last morning but couldn't get the coho. Again more springs. Boats in grappler for summer so should be up allot. Will report.
Thnx to searun. That sardine coyote killed it.
Also got fish with chovies and other spoons. Couldn't get anything on the hootchies but a few springs had squidd in stomach. Capt. Mo
Great Report Mo !!

We are heading up to Poett Nook for the third year. Will be there July 6-9, instead of mid-August this year. We've always just fished from Yankee Bay to Bamfield along the wall. However, this year we want to try some of the other areas. I can't seem to find all the locations people mention in the posts such as Rat's Nose, Pill Point and Swale. Is there a good chart that someone can recommend, or are these areas just "local knowledge"? I have found Beale and Cree so far. Where will the best places be that time of year? Thanks.

Places like rats nose and turtle head, etc. are local knowledge - they look like that on the chart of the La Perouse Bank area, outside Uclulet. However, Vernon Bay, Pill Point and Swale Rock are locations off Imperial Eagle Channel, noted on your marine chart for the Broken Group. Look for the boats, too. If fishing is slow at Swale, you may as well run to Effingham and try Meares Bluff, Austin or Cree Island, near the outside.

Last edited:
Those Coyote Sardine spoons have been rock solid for me Started being the go to spoon over in Nanoose and worked just as well over here in Barkley. I got some to test last year and they were often able to stay head to head with bait which I thought I would never be able to say. They tweaked the spoon over the winter and reintroduced it this year. I’m sure there are other spoons that are working really great for guys Glad to hear your trip was epic. See you on the water.

Where's the best place to get those Coyote Sardine spoons? and what size are you preferring? Thanks for all the information, heading over next week and looking forward to it!! Good luck fishing boys!!

We are heading up to Poett Nook for the third year. Will be there July 6-9, instead of mid-August this year. We've always just fished from Yankee Bay to Bamfield along the wall. However, this year we want to try some of the other areas. I can't seem to find all the locations people mention in the posts such as Rat's Nose, Pill Point and Swale. Is there a good chart that someone can recommend, or are these areas just "local knowledge"? I have found Beale and Cree so far. Where will the best places be that time of year? Thanks.
There is a website called “salmon university” is has a section on Barkley Sound and shows some of the popular spots on charts. Lots of good info for someone new to the sound

So, when trolling out on the banks, like big bank, rats nose. say water depth is 180-200’ are fish usually.near bottom, of in the upper half of the water column? Is this part of the highway?

Back