What's the best knot?

Hi All

I was wondering if there is any definative answer to what is the best knot for 80lb Braid to 40lb Flourocarbon top Shot? I was thinking the Double Uni Knot, but have also read that the Albright is better. Please what is the better knot to use to attach the Braid to Flourocarbon?

Thank you

For years I used the Modified Albright and generally it held up well. I had a few knots fail over the years (probably my fault) but I recently got a Shimano Bobbin Winder and learned how to tie a PR Knot. If I were you I’d take the time to learn that. It retains 100% strength and slides nicely through the guides. By my 3rd try I had the technique down. Lots of YouTube videos on the PR Knot to review if you are interested.

Good luck!

WW

I have been running Suffix 832 super braid on my mooching reels for years now and joining a 50 foot floro tag line . I use the “uni” knot very successfully with no issues thus far. Love this set up as there is no stretch so you can feel every move the fish makes and on the hook set down deep you have an advantage of little line stretch. Good luck.

I like this one. Stays small and holds up. Only advice I will add is to make sure you reef on it wen sinching it up. Then really reef on it again. Also I have only used it with braid to mono. Not fluorocarbon.

I just use the old double uni knot, to join my 40 lb braid to my 40 lb maxima ultragreen top shot. It might be a little clunky in the guides when it's under tension, but I've just never had an issue with it failing or losing me a fish. I can tie it drunk in the dark, no tools required, and it works, so I haven't bothered considering changing it.

fb

Fg knot is very strong and has a small profile but its a pain to tie. I use a simplified double uni knot for backing to mono and it holds as well as is required. The best knot is whichever one works for you.

Fg knot is very strong and has a small profile but its a pain to tie. I use a simplified double uni knot for backing to mono and it holds as well as is required. The best knot is whichever one works for you.
I agree with you, I would likely never tie one on the boat and under a crunch I can whip up a modified Albright knot with little effort. If you have the time though, I don’t think there is another knot out there that retains as much strength. FG and PR are pretty close to the same.

Back