Was DFO wrong??? I think so...

Waterwolf2230

I met a fella last week that got jacked up by DFO who was in the process of filleting his salmon. He is living for the season at Pacific Playgrounds which has an attached marina. This individual was going to fillet his salmon for dinner. The DFO officer said that it was illegal to transport the filleted fish from the cleaning station to his RV. The only legal way to do it was to gut it, bring it to his RV, fillet it and return the carcass. I have never heard anything like this before. My interpretation is that if he is living in the park and the marina is attached to it and you NEVER step foot off the park that you are technically at your place of residence. The address is the same...seems ridiculous to me. Being the kind of guy I am, I would have challenged him on it...thoughts?

WW

If he is there only seasonal it is not his ordinary residence, so technically has to transport gutted with head and tail on or bring the whole fish undressed back to his seasonal residence. I do wonder what ‘transport’ means though, I guess technically walking is a form of transport. Seems a bit nit picky though. DFO must have bigger fish to fry given the state of things.

I had the same argument many many years ago with some people camping at sunny shores with crab I just cleaned for people, DFO hassled me about it, you could see the camper and the pot boiling .He let us off and just asked us not to do it again.Fair enough problem is some have really wreaked it with doing some really dumb things and we all have to suffer for it...

Do I agree with it No but thats whats put in place

I had the same argument many many years ago with some people camping at sunny shores with crab I just cleaned for people, DFO hassled me about it, you could see the camper and the pot boiling .He let us off and just asked us not to do it again.Fair enough problem is some have really wreaked it with doing some really dumb things and we all have to suffer for it...

Do I agree with it No but thats whats put in place
Yup, there were many ‘seasonal’ folks going out to fish in the morning, catching their limit, coming back to the campground and canning their catch. Then, going out in the afternoon and repeating the process, for all species. That adds up.

My uncle was a traffic cop back in the 60s. Back then, there was a law that said a turn signal had to flash 60 times a minute. Not 59, not 61, but 60 times. He said there was a guy who would actually pull cars over to check, then write them the ticket.

That being said, that trailer does not sound like his "normal place of residence."

I'd be more impressed with the fact he actually saw a fisheries officer out in the wild, doing his/her job. Like, getting checked by DFO is a rare thing!

Good to see them out checking. The challenge with our current transport regulations is they are out of step with the daily reality of how people use their catch. Big need to modernize Not sure if the new draft Fisheries Act amendments will help us

I suspect the biggest issue this year will be people marking down their catch in the places they catch them or adjusting the area they catch them once they get back to where ever they are staying.

Area 12 you can come home with 4, area 13,14,15 you can come home with 2.

26 new dfo oficers on the coast .and they have 8' drone support that can see a dimond on the ring finger a 1k away .dfo waits for the intruder at the shore.

26 new dfo oficers on the coast .and they have 8' drone support that can see a dimond on the ring finger a 1k away .dfo waits for the intruder at the shore.

Must be nice, They're all ditching the lower mainland, way less problems on the coast and cheap housing.

My uncle was a traffic cop back in the 60s. Back then, there was a law that said a turn signal had to flash 60 times a minute. Not 59, not 61, but 60 times. He said there was a guy who would actually pull cars over to check, then write them the ticket.

That being said, that trailer does not sound like his "normal place of residence."

I'd be more impressed with the fact he actually saw a fisheries officer out in the wild, doing his/her job. Like, getting checked by DFO is a rare thing!
I guess the 'Normal place of residence' could be disputed. Seasonal guests live there for 6 months of the year. You would be hard pressed to find any prosecutor that would try that case and even more unlikely to find a judge that would convict...especially in BC. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate DFO being out and interacting, but use some objective reasonableness. Check his catch log etc but there are bigger issues out there than that. As for the canning issue, I had heard that was popular back in the day but I don't know of anyone that does that anymore (in Pacific Playgrounds anyway).

I suspect the biggest issue this year will be people marking down their catch in the places they catch them or adjusting the area they catch them once they get back to where ever they are staying.

Area 12 you can come home with 4, area 13,14,15 you can come home with 2.
I agree and for them to view your GPS log would require a search warrant if they want to use the information in court. To get that warrant they would need more than mere suspicion, they would require probably grounds which is a far higher standard.

guess the 'Normal place of residence' could be disputed. Seasonal guests live there for 6 months of the year. You would be hard pressed to find any prosecutor that would try that case and even more unlikely to find a judge that would convict...especially in BC. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate DFO being out and interacting, but use some objective reasonableness. Check his catch log etc but there are bigger issues out there than that. As for the canning issue, I had heard that was popular back in the day but I don't know of anyone that does that anymore (in Pacific Playgrounds anyway).

I'm pretty sure in campgrounds the lot you rent is considered your residence not the whole private area. That's why you can drink alcohol in your spot but not walk around the campground drinking.

In townhouses, apartments, there is limited common property, common property ect but you typically own a stake in it and it's all considered to private property to people that are not part owners.

Is the cleaning station for public use? or is it resident only

Also I am not sure if he personally would be liable, is it a commercial establishment? do they have signs up directing people what they must do with their catch?

I agree DFO won't press charges unless they believe something more illegal is going on.

I think in the regs it says that the cutting of the fish are "guidelines "not the law. all the lodge fish is transported already filleted. I'm in my seasonal residence for 4 months get my mail delivered here and would be OK with going to court over filleting fish at the station and packing it up to camp.

I think in the regs it says that the cutting of the fish are "guidelines "not the law. all the lodge fish is transported already filleted. I'm in my seasonal residence for 4 months get my mail delivered here and would be OK with going to court over filleting fish at the station and packing it up to camp.
How’s the fishing been up there Ed?

I met a fella last week that got jacked up by DFO who was in the process of filleting his salmon. He is living for the season at Pacific Playgrounds which has an attached marina. This individual was going to fillet his salmon for dinner. The DFO officer said that it was illegal to transport the filleted fish from the cleaning station to his RV. The only legal way to do it was to gut it, bring it to his RV, fillet it and return the carcass. I have never heard anything like this before. My interpretation is that if he is living in the park and the marina is attached to it and you NEVER step foot off the park that you are technically at your place of residence. The address is the same...seems ridiculous to me. Being the kind of guy I am, I would have challenged him on it...thoughts?

WW
Talk about picking fly **** out of pepper!!!! I would contact the DFO enforcement supervisor in Campbell River and complain about this fish cop with a traffic cop attitude. Everything in their world is black or white no grey matter I mean area. Before I get blasted about traffic cop comments I am a retired LEO and in that community there has always been a thing about traffic cops. They do very important work. Sometimes the delivery isn't so good. Nuff said.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure in campgrounds the lot you rent is considered your residence not the whole private area.

has nothing to do with that place of residence is where you live and have a mailing address "ordinary place of residence" that means where you live if you are confused........ the way you have stated anyone could come and go camping fill a freezer with fish crab prawns etc ... HENCE why the rules are in place.
It really isnt hard to under stand its all written in the rules .
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html#packaging

Last edited:
Back