otoliths (rockfish ear bones) into jewlrey

ILHG

Crew Member
Folks, I kept the ear bones out of my shortraker & let the guy cleaning the fish have the other set. The ones I have are big beautiful. I would love to find some one who makes them into ear rings for my wife. I think she would love them.

Anyone know where I can get it done?

Where are you located?
My sister lives in van and does jewellery
With crystals and stones. If your interested maybe she can help you out

Where are you located?
My sister lives in van and does jewellery
With crystals and stones. If your interested maybe she can help you out

I'm in Calgary but could ship them out easy enough. Is there co tact info you can pass along?

I am going to ask some geologist I know that have a good microscope to try to count the rings.
I am not sure what the growth rate is on them? I will let you know when I find out.

Go to the dollar store for the silver parts and krazy glue ,then to the flytie shop for colored hackle ,and find a fly tier to assemble earings. I belive otoliths are ivory.

Well, the Shortraker otoliths (ear bones) earrings are finally done. Shout out to @Mudshark for connecting me with his sister who did a fantastic job. We had a few different designs & had to make changes as she went. At first the plan was to drill a hole in them to attach to the earring, how ever after she did some research she advised me not to, do to the potential of them cracking. She came up with a new design & & I think its awesome!. I cant wait to give them to my wife, who I know will love them.

Below are her comments on the build.

"The wire is genuine sterling silver, as well as the earring hooks. The earring hooks are "leverback" to ensure they don't fall off while being worn."

Next time you get a big rockfish, remember to save the ear bones.

Attachments

• ear bone.jpg
    ear bone.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 154
Well, the Shortraker otoliths (ear bones) earrings are finally done. Shout out to @Mudshark for connecting me with his sister who did a fantastic job. We had a few different designs & had to make changes as she went. At first the plan was to drill a hole in them to attach to the earring, how ever after she did some research she advised me not to, do to the potential of them cracking. She came up with a new design & & I think its awesome!. I cant wait to give them to my wife, who I know will love them.

Below are her comments on the build.

"The wire is genuine sterling silver, as well as the earring hooks. The earring hooks are "leverback" to ensure they don't fall off while being worn."

Next time you get a big rockfish, remember to save the ear bones.

I’m glad she could help you out. She was really excited her hillbilly brother thought of her when he saw your post!
They look great!

The jewelery potential is awesome. I'll remember next year to remove otoliths from decent size rockfish I get next year. This year, we caught a few really nice size vermillions that I wish now I had of harvested the otoliths from. And they are ivory, as someone mentioned previously.

Back