BEWARE OFF CLOVER POINT!!

Pippen

"mammoth sea otters are in the waters off Clover Point hunting for prey" :eek::eek::eek::p

Basically.....some river otters got a bit too rambunctious with her dog me thinks. ;););)

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...victoria-s-clover-point-owner-warns-1.3973642

Fellas....be safe out there. If you too smell an extra pungent fishy smell....cut your lines and downriggers free and get out of there ASAP!!! If you see a ripple on the water before the smell alerts you.......you're likely already dead as the 'mammoth' is there; just keep fishing and accept your fate. :D

Mammoth flesh eating otters, mutated from the raw, possibly radioactive waste flowing freely from the Victoria sewer systems.

A few years back at Dallas rd. in Victoria, I saw an otter attack a golden retriever while the dog was swimming. The otter eviscerated the dog. The dog screamed, made it back to the beach with its intestines trailing 20' behind it. We managed to scoop its guts into a garbage bag and send it off to the vet. I have no idea if the dog made it or not. I've heard harbor seals will attack dogs in the water as well.

A few years back at Dallas rd. in Victoria, I saw an otter attack a golden retriever while the dog was swimming. The otter eviscerated the dog. The dog screamed, made it back to the beach with its intestines trailing 20' behind it. We managed to scoop its guts into a garbage bag and send it off to the vet. I have no idea if the dog made it or not. I've heard harbor seals will attack dogs in the water as well.

Interesting about the otter story. We had one I played with a lot as a young kid while my Dad was doing his PhD. Worst thing it ever did was steal my favourite baseball hat and take it under our front stairs; likely still there. Dad was doing his studies in parasitology largely on mink and racoons but a rescued otter was housed at the Uni where my Dad did his work .

There was an incident with a seal attacking a dog in the water off Spanish Banks a number of years back .

Last edited:
The Otters from Stanley Park sometime put in an appearance off the Dog Beach by the Maritime Museum but I've never seem them act aggressively at all.

The Otters from Stanley Park sometime put in an appearance off the Dog Beach by the Maritime Museum but I've never seem them act aggressively at all.

I think those otters at the dog beach actually live around there. Have seen them running up between the houses on Ogden headed south and regularly see them early in the morning while walking the pooch. I walked out of my house a couple of weeks back and there was an otter 2 blocks north of Cornwall just cruising along heading back to the dog beach. My mailman said "what kind of cat is that?" to which I corrected him that it was a rather large rodent.

Are they really "sea" otters or river otters living in and near the ocean? Or a new mammoth species??? . I have never seen a sea otter in the Vic area but lots of river otters, don't leave your fish in the boat while retrieving the trailer at Work point launch, where did the dam hali go is often heard. My view dogs should be on leash as all animals have their young and do what animals do, maybe protect their young and territory. CTV now ranks higher on the fake news and BS channels with these type of reports. Shame on them.

HM

Are they really "sea" otters or river otters living in and near the ocean? Or a new mammoth species??? . I have never seen a sea otter in the Vic area but lots of river otters, don't leave your fish in the boat while retrieving the trailer at Work point launch, where did the dam hali go is often heard. My view dogs should be on leash as all animals have their young and do what animals do, maybe protect their young and territory. CTV now ranks higher on the fake news and BS channels with these type of reports. Shame on them.

HM

I am going to bet 99 to 1 that they were river otters....how mammothian remains to be seen...haha.

I'm betting river otter's as well.
they are bigger animals

Yup....sea otters are the bigger of the two....much more of a mammoth than the l'il river boys.

News can report anything these days and people will believe, maybe NDP can form a committee to make the beach pet safe. Just heard commercial on Q for Canada day. Apparently Canada has the "largest rodent", and all these years I thought it was the capybara of South America?? More BS.

HM

Racoons and otters try to drown dogs as a way of defense. A dog in the water might seem a threat.

Back