Talk to me about Vacuum Sealers

well after i went tru 4 of them food saver **** spent $1500 on a real chamber sealer so the aggravation of cooling down and HOURS in stead of 50 lbs in 30 mins with chamber money very well the money spent.
Also vac bags per 750 is about 120 bucks sometimes less if you have the proper accounts....
also make some extra to pay for and charge others have to be enterprising...

E3EDF913-031D-41D4-BCAC-70471ABF43EF.jpeg I gave up on Foodsaver a few years ago. They are disposable units built very cheaply.
I found an older model Cabelas sealer. Back when Cabelas still used quality items .
It is a rebadged Weston,very heavy duty.
All the new stuff at Cabelas is off shore junk that isn’t as HD as they say.
This unit was only used a few times and still has parts readily available if ever needed.
Best thing was I only paid $150 USD from a fellow in Longview Washington . Found it on one of our camping trips.

So the big birthday is tomorrow... my bro in law and sis in law popped by today and got me a large heavy (ish) box with unicorn wrapping paper.
I ripped it open and was delighted to find this:
BC8D4189-F7C2-4905-A433-E753A3EBC74E.jpeg

It’s the foodsaver 5440. Does anybody have this model and want to give me some tips before I plug it in and wreck it?

I've got one and it works great from a sealing standpoint. You will want to use a cutting board as a ramp up to the sealer so you're not wasting a lot of bag - you will figure this out the first time you use the thing. The other downside is that you need to hit both sides of the sealing switch to initiate the vacuum. It's a real pain in the butt in that regard. The best thing about the unit is the automatic seal each time you pull out a bag. I'll post a picture of my cutting board ramp for you later...

I have the same one. It's way better than my old one which still works.
Stack of cookbooks works in place of the ramp for me.
sidebar-Do you guys that take stuff back to Costco after you wear it out have kids?

Posted by Wolf years ago. can be cleaned in dish washer. Insert into bag and drop fish in. It keeps the top inner edge clean and dry so seal works every time.

Also whatever unit you buy order replacement foam gaskets so they can be replaced. Foodsaver tends to stop selling replacement parts for your model just as you need them.

reducers-r6x4-64_400_compressed.jpg

Posted by Wolf years ago. can be cleaned in dish washer. Insert into bag and drop fish in. It keeps the top inner edge clean and dry so seal works every time.

Also whatever unit you buy order replacement foam gaskets so they can be replaced. Foodsaver tends to stop selling replacement parts for your model just as you need them.

reducers-r6x4-64_400_compressed.jpg
easily made out of pvc fittings. or a 6x4 reducer coupling

I use paper plates to insert contents into vac bags. Slap chunk onto plate, fold plate and insert into bag and give a quick shake. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So the big birthday is tomorrow... my bro in law and sis in law popped by today and got me a large heavy (ish) box with unicorn wrapping paper.
View attachment 41846

It’s the foodsaver 5440. Does anybody have this model and want to give me some tips before I plug it in and wreck it?

I’ve got one too. I burned out a couple lesser models before trying this one and it’s lasted three seasons so far. Not just fish, I buy bulk chicken and pork by the pound too so it gets used a lot.

View attachment 41846

And Happy Birthday!!!!

I wrap all the stuff I seal in resinite wrap (like Saran Wrap). Keeps any moisture from sucking out of the stuff and doesn’t muck up the seal. Costco sells big rolls of the resinite.

The problem with chamber sealers for those of us that travel out there is you can not freeze a large fish in a chamber sealer. Our larger fish I cut into 3 or 4 chunks per side, vacuum seal them individually then I place them in order in a larger bag and vacuum seal it as one fish. When the sealer sucks it tight it's very easily identified as one fish. Some of the larger ones I will just seal whole and keep for canning or smoking later on when I get home. I place a piece of paper towel up close to the seal to keep any moister from entering the seal area and will double seal the end to ensure I get a good seal. This paper towel area also acts as a good backing for highlighting the writing that must be put on each package for identification. All this is a requirement for transporting your catch. That I have seen I don't think there's a chamber sealer out there you could freeze over a 10-12 fish whole. I have worn out one cheaper unit and am on a second one but I have been eyeing up the bigger units at Cabellas they look like some HD sealers that would last quite a few years.

I like the food saver for the ability to vac seal a whole filleted slab ... just dont freeze for more then a month lol .. when that happens and you losse the seal and get frezzerburnt fish .. watch your product in the frezzer and when the seal starts to show air pockets .. give that fish to your mother in law right away !

Done right they keep as long as any I think. I've kept them tight and sealed for over a year.

Yup was just teasing , caught most of my salmon in may n june this year , most still sealed good , one tip is to buy the quart bags for individual sized pieces and the gallon bags for bigger chunks, i find the bags far better then the roll type for keeping a seal, my foodsaver was 130$ at wallmart going on 3 years strong .

I think it comes down to personal preference but I don't really like fish frozen longer than 3 months.
Over the years we have been fortunate enough to have fresh fish and there isn't much comparison to
frozen.
Again, only my opinion.

Back