Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me - in my ideal world there is abundant wild salmon - thanks.

The term Abundant is only relevant to those people or animals that harvest salmon. For example harbor seals might think that the current salmon population is abundant but SRKW would remember easier days when their feeding grounds were full.

Like wise if their were only a few bands of first nations along the Fraser river, composed of only a few hundred individual the salmon stocks today even greatly depressed will satisfy all their food needs and be precieved as abundant.

I think its unrealistic to assume that salmon stocks will ever be abundant enough to not only keep up with wild animal predation but then also have a "abundant" human harvest.

No one even knows what the historic carrying capacity was pre whaling and pre fur trade.

Already quoted that article, Dave and spoke to that. You may find it more effective to read my posts if you actually wish to have a debate.
Actually I posted some of that about 5 hours ago, and now it just showed up. Trust me aa, I would not have done that deliberately. I think I have been given a message ..

“The long arc of history bends towards justice”

Martin Luther King, Jr. March 1962.

Does anyone that voted for NDP or Green want fish farms? nope

So what's keeping them here? in this political environment?

The term Abundant is only relevant to those people or animals that harvest salmon. For example harbor seals might think that the current salmon population is abundant but SRKW would remember easier days when their feeding grounds were full.

Like wise if their were only a few bands of first nations along the Fraser river, composed of only a few hundred individual the salmon stocks today even greatly depressed will satisfy all their food needs and be precieved as abundant.

I think its unrealistic to assume that salmon stocks will ever be abundant enough to not only keep up with wild animal predation but then also have a "abundant" human harvest.

No one even knows what the historic carrying capacity was pre whaling and pre fur trade.
Good & interesting points, WMY! And I think you are right in that we will never really know for sure.

However, broad-scale - It was estimated that after European settlers arrived - the indigenous population took a crash of upwards of 80% of the population - largely due to smallpox and other diseases (https://www.ictinc.ca/blog/the-impact-of-smallpox-on-first-nations-on-the-west-coast). Pre-contact population estimates for BC vary widely with some estimates ranging from a conservative 100,000 to more than a million. In any event - certainly not "only a few bands of first nations along the Fraser river, composed of only a few hundred individuals "

It was estimated the average Aboriginal salmon catch pre-contact to be ~88 million kg per year, comparable in magnitude to the average yearly commercial catch between 1901 and 2000 (Jones 2002).

Last edited:
Does anyone that voted for NDP or Green want fish farms? nope

So what's keeping them here? in this political environment?

i have been trying to find out if the NDP have union and pension funds invested in fish farms?
and by feeding it to hospital and prison population they create their own customer base.

interesting... i think i just voted accidentally twice. bet there is some inside work going on on the votes.. these check votes are now bs to me.

interesting... i think i just voted accidentally twice. bet there is some inside work going on on the votes.. these check votes are now bs to me.
Ditto. Just vote, clear browser history, vote again, clear browser history again, vote again...............
Bogus.

Most support Fish Farms on Chek poll...
https://www.cheknews.ca/chek-point/

Yes, it is well known that when Chek runs a poll, it is very easy to skew the results. All you need is to create a program to vote. to skew results just vote, clear history/refresh, vote again. I tried it yesterday and it works.
The funny thing is, if the poll is so overwhelmingly in favour of the Pro side, then why is every single comment not in favour? Not 1 comment in the comment section was Pro farms.
The sad part is, it really shows what extent these guys will go to in order to mislead everyone around them.

https://biv.com/article/2018/06/horgan-announces-wild-salmon-strategy-gets-yelled

It was pointed out that all 14 experts appointed to the new advisory council are from the wild salmon sector, and none from the fish farm sector.

Asked if the fish farm industry should be nervous about the makeup of the advisory council and the direction the government is moving in, Horgan said, “I don’t think so.”

He pointed out that, while the province issues fish farms licences, the federal government is responsible for tenures.

“The province is responsible for the anchors that hold the nets to the ground,” Horgan said. “The federal government’s responsible for everything else.”

The previous Liberal government struck a special ministerial advisory council to advise the government on what to do about fish farms.

The NDP government is still considering the recommendations it made. But Horgan hinted that he doesn't think salmon farming is the only concern facing wild salmon in B.C.

“Salmon aquaculture is one component of the challenges facing our wild species,” Horgan said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4277169/...ouncil-advocacy-groups-dont-think-its-enough/

But salmon advocacy groups are already raising concerns about the council. Watershed Watch Salmon Society Executive Director Aaron Hill said the hope was the council would be ‘arms length’ and ‘provide credibility’ but advocates became concerned when they saw how it is set up.

“The representation is really heavy on the commercial and recreational fishing industry. Very light on any advocacy groups advocating for the conservation of wild salmon,” said Hill.

“There is very solid representation of First Nations groups and I think that’s the only nice thing I can say about it.”

“It’s missing the right people and has some of the wrong people. It’s also been housed in the premier’s office which gives it susceptibility for political interference.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back