Government Response to Steelhead Petitions

IronNoggin

As expected...

First Petition to Fisheries Minster re: Suspension of known net fisheries heavily impacting steelhead:

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1416

Government bafflegab reply:

While chum salmon fisheries can contribute to Interior Fraser Steelhead mortality, other sources of mortality have not been adequately assessed, including impacts during the freshwater phase of the lifecycle...

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans is currently developing a Recovery Potential Assessment as part of the Species at Risk Act emergency listing process. This assessment will consider the impacts of threats to Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead populations.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/ePetitions/Responses/421/e-1416/421-02293_DFO_E.pdf

Second Petition to Minister of Environment re: Issuing an Emergency Listing Order under the Species At Risk Act for Interior Fraser Steelhead.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1419

Government stall & Pass The Buck reply, while sneaking in a reconciliation tag:

COSEWIC is expected to conduct a full assessment of Steelhead Trout in the coming years, independently of the outcome of this current emergency listing process.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has reviewed the COSEWIC emergency assessments and is now considering additional scientific information to complement the assessments, including any Indigenous Knowledge that might be shared by Indigenous Groups.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/ePetitions/Responses/421/e-1419/421-02294_DFO_E.pdf

As many have already noted, guess we can write these fish stocks off...
banghead.gif

Nog

Response as expected, will receive same for all petitions to this Gov. Looking forward to C-71? What surprises me most is the silence from all this sites members who hammered me for my posts some time ago concerning Mr Harpers Gov. All those who called Mr JT the new savior for our sports have fallen quiet. Is anything different? Yes species are still not increasing, there is still no plan to increase, in fact the opposite, but now the blame is solely on sport users and only target ,reduce and stop our fishing while others increase. Soon there will be no Tidal fishing license unless you want dogfish, maybe greenling, I will fish roosters in Mexico, sails in Malaysia, and billfish in Costa Rica, those 3rd world countries?? understand the role sport fishing and conservation play. A sad state we are in and those in power refuse to learn or listen to real viable options to increase fish stocks and make better. Lets manage by emotion.

HM

I agree, there hasn't been any improvement on fisheries issues since the last election. I guess it was worth a try but failed. So, what now?

I agree, there hasn't been any improvement on fisheries issues since the last election. I guess it was worth a try but failed. So, what now?
For a long time I honestly have no idea, no one in power is listening to reason, science, and data. I have written a ton of emails and letters to many people. Most have fallen on deaf ears, the ones who have provided responses were so out in left field that they scared me shitless. Mr MacGregor my local MP was pleased that the Libs are making a rule so that you cannot go into Canadian Tire and buy a gun without any paperwork. (He stated and truly believes/argued when I called him on this point) Clearly NOT in touch with reality, its the same with our Fed, and Provincial Gov and even on here with some of the comments I have reviewed. Would not say our salmon, whales and steelhead are headed for extinction but do believe sport fishers and hunters are. Scares the hell out of me. I think Mr Young my local Gov rep seams to be the only one with common sense.

Canada has gone crazy with JT leading. Paying terrorists, reducing sentences for rapists, murderers, gang members, blaming gun violence on legal gun owners, having nurses for druggies while children and senior citizens wait at hospitals, tax the working and give to the poor and on and on. Most Canadians don't see it the way I do????

Hell our Premier stated BC ers like paying higher taxes.

HM

Back