Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

What’s interesting in the second article is the statement;

“Even when more boats accompanied these whales later there was little to no detectable underwater engine noise reported on hydrophones. The Pacific Whale Watch Association has self-imposed voluntary reductions in speed and distance from the whales and spend more time with the other local orcas ”

So what science or logic did DFO use that is unavailable to the Pacific Whale Watch Association, to impose closures? DFO obviously has more info or better hydrophones right? Why else close areas to people trolling, surely they don’t make more noise than larger high speed Whale Watchers, yet that’s one reason given? Why a total finfish closure if boat noise isn’t a factor and the whales only eat Springs?There are already Spring non retention areas so why shut down the new areas to coho, sockeye, pinks? The BS just keeps piling on!

Their is no noise because they shut off their engines, have to read the full report and watch the video.

DFO could put in a trolling ban, but again they would need that to be written into fisheries act. That would take parliament.

DFO lacks a lot of tools so they tend to use closures more then they should as tools.

Hopefully the new fisheries act gives them more tools around gear restrictions.

What’s interesting in the second article is the statement;

“Even when more boats accompanied these whales later there was little to no detectable underwater engine noise reported on hydrophones. The Pacific Whale Watch Association has self-imposed voluntary reductions in speed and distance from the whales and spend more time with the other local orcas ”

So what science or logic did DFO use that is unavailable to the Pacific Whale Watch Association, to impose closures? DFO obviously has more info or better hydrophones right? Why else close areas to people trolling, surely they don’t make more noise than larger high speed Whale Watchers, yet that’s one reason given? Why a total finfish closure if boat noise isn’t a factor and the whales only eat Springs?There are already Spring non retention areas so why shut down the new areas to coho, sockeye, pinks? The BS just keeps piling on!

Your right Ziggy BS keeps piling up.

Their is no noise because they shut off their engines, have to read the full report and watch the video.

DFO could put in a trolling ban, but again they would need that to be written into fisheries act. That would take parliament.

DFO lacks a lot of tools so they tend to use closures more then they should as tools.

I don’t buy Whale Watchers shut off their engines! They need them to catch up to the whales initially (usually high speed arrival and departure) and to stay up with them! How do they do this without engines? I could care less about what any report says, I’ve observed Whale Watchers many times and never seen them break out paddles, yet they manage to keep up to the Pods.

DFO needs to have a hard look at their number of managers and office workers and look at redistribution of many of them to the field, if they can no longer find enforcement members. Frankly if there response is that complete closures are the substitution for getting out on the water, then maybe the Department needs to admit it’s a complete failure!

God guys its hard enough defending our group but this I love whale watching drama has to end. When are any of you going to see these area closures are complete scam. Anyone not talking out about it isn't doing our group any good. AGAIN HOW CAN WE HAVE AN AREA CLOSED AS A FORAGE AREA WITH WHALE WATCHING,COMMERCIAL FISHING ETC ETC. If you think by saying nothing that someone how whale watching is going to be a savior I suggest you look at the entire BC coast as an example. These restrictions are not over and when they come into your area you tell me that whale watching doesn't impact the area. Careful who you align yourself with they will throw our group under the bus in a minute if affects their business.

I don’t buy Whale Watchers shut off their engines! They need them to catch up to the whales initially (usually high speed arrival and departure) and to stay up with them! How do they do this without engines? I could care less about what any report says, I’ve observed Whale Watchers many times and never seen them break out paddles, yet they manage to keep up to the Pods.

DFO needs to have a hard look at their number of managers and office workers and look at redistribution of many of them to the field, if they can no longer find enforcement members. Frankly if there response is that complete closures are the substitution for getting out on the water, then maybe the Department needs to admit it’s a complete failure!

I agree in Canada its disgusting in Vancouver almost always see them 50m ish. However, we need a solution that allows all boating to be in the same area I believe Searun has come up with a good solution, 400m for all boats is reasonable. Or even have special rules for whale watchers allow them to get 100-200m for transit whales but for SRKW 400m.

We getting **** on, that is indisputable Ziggy.

God guys its hard enough defending our group but this I love whale watching drama has to end. When are any of you going to see these area closures are complete scam. Anyone not talking out about it isn't doing our group any good. AGAIN HOW CAN WE HAVE AN AREA CLOSED AS A FORAGE AREA WITH WHALE WATCHING,COMMERCIAL FISHING ETC ETC. If you think by saying nothing that someone how whale watching is going to be a savior I suggest you look at the entire BC coast as an example. These restrictions are not over and when they come into your area you tell me that whale watching doesn't impact the area. Careful who you align yourself with they will throw our group under the bus in a minute if affects their business.
Perfect example of DFO avoiding confrontation! Can’t **** off Anyone who might fight back! Total closure rather than enforcement, because it’s easier! Seems doing ones job is just too hard for DFO management so once again they pick the low hanging fruit so as to appear to be actually doing something while in fact doing nothing! Lots of other issues that need to be tackled, but they are just too hard and require to much honest effort! All this took was a message with further restrictions, what could be easier than that. No one had to leave their chair!

That's a bunch of bull. They can incorporate this into the regulations and be done and it would be the law. No need for a change to any act nor parliament to get involved. These kind of regulation changes are made on a regular basis. Pretty simple.

That's a bunch of bull. They can incorporate this into the regulations and be done and it would be the law. No need for a chance to any act nor parliament to get involved. These kind of regulation changes are made on a regular basis. Pretty simple.

being involved in the leader length debate for over 10 years, It was my understanding that any changes to the fisheries act, has to be put into a bill and voted on by parliament.

I don't believe their is a fine system in place currently to fine recreational boat anglers for trolling or any regulations around that.

someone can correct me on that if im wrong

being involved in the leader length debate for over 10 years, It was my understanding that any changes to the fisheries act, has to be put into a bill and voted on by parliament.

I don't believe their is a fine system in place currently to fine recreational boat anglers for trolling or any regulations around that.

Correct.

Fished the sandheads for the first time last summer. Was lucky enough to see the whales swim past. At least 3-4 whale watching boats in hot pursuit. I didn’t see a single one reduce speed or shut off their engines. But I did see them closer than 100m to the whales and watched 2 of them skip on past and slow down in the area the whales were headed. Maybe it ain’t always so but first time I was there this is what I saw so I kinda doubt it.

Was windy as hell but got a 17lb spring and a pink.

Last edited:

Do you mean like the tyee fishing in Campbell River area?

Do you mean like the tyee fishing in Campbell River area?

Yeah for sure their why im not sure, I know their is HP restrictions, Motor boat restictions, Electric only restrictions ect...

But what is therefore strictly stopping fishing by trolling with a motor? Seems like that more a fishing method regulation, Than a transport canada regulation like the Tyee Pool, no motor only.

Maybe their is something not sure

Last edited:
Yeah for sure their why im not sure, I know their is HP restrictions, Motor boat restictions, Electric only restrictions ect...

But what is therefore strictly stopping fishing by trolling with a motor? Seems like that more a fishing method regulation

Maybe their is something not sure
The area is 13-5 and has fishing restrictions, you can read it here.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/13-co-chq-eng.pdf
In DFO speak I think it's called a fishing variance.

Last edited:
The area is 13-5 and has fishing restrictions, you can read it here.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/13-co-chq-eng.pdf
In DFO speak I think it's called a fishing variation.

Thanks GLG, but i think people still want to be able to halibut fish or jig etc in the closed areas. The tyee pool uses a transport canada no motor only regulation, then a bunch of gear regulations

Maybe a "you may only fish while on anchored" regulation... However some would probably like to drift fish. You can't even fish from shore in these SRKW closures that brutal

As others have pointed out there's absolutely no reason to allow Whale Watchers and not recreational Fishermen.

If the goal is to turn these areas into some sort of marine sanctuary, Then I think everyone should demand the whale watchers out.

Last edited:
Why are we trying to pick a fight with anyone other than DFO? Lets cut the crap...if sports fishermen were allowed in the refuge area but not the whale watchers...are you all saying that you wouldn't go in there or that you would be ok with them trying to get us kicked out? Whys are some of you so concerned about those who are allowed in there? The study and the refuge area is flawed and based on nothing but a scam for even junk science. Calling it junk science is being generous. Getting rid of the closed waters is the goal. Not expanding the list of those who can't go in there....that just puts you on the side with DFO and the environmental groups

Its not going to matter one bit arguing back and forth is NOT going to solve anything we have to work together with all user groups DFO loves it when we in fight . matter of fact do whatever you want debate do petitions,write letters . It all for not anyways THEY dont care about fishermen or the repercussions job losses or anything.
Hate to say it boys its all over for us as they are really gonna take a bite out of next year and years to come they will keep biting till its all gone.
WE WONT be fishing soon the writing is on the wall...

look back at my post 10 years ago and i said this was going to happen if i remember I said its gonna spider web out well here it comes guys.
I personally am calling it done. there is no future in fishing.
you have a huge uphill battle that you cant and wont win.

Good luck wolf

Back