2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Or me. Had the flats to myself at sunrise. Good bite between 5 and 8 am. Done by 8. Lost a couple more of similar size. 14 and 13#. There is something about coho killer, even my faithful AP spoons of all size and shapes can sometimes not keep up with a coho killer. Great morning!

d.jpg

Last edited:
Or me. Had the flats to myself at sunrise. Good bite between 5 and 8 am. Done by 8. Lost a couple more of similar size. 14 and 13#. There is something about coho killer, even my faithful AP spoons of all size and shapes can sometimes not keep up with a coho killer. Great morning!
Well glad somebody got something. I checked with another boat at ramp and they hadn't seen any fish caught. The guide boats were not sticking around either. Sounds like maybe it was an early bite and the 10am tide change was no good?

Flat and nice out at Constance this morn unfortunately not a lot of action 1 hatchery 6 lb 70 ft no bananas spoon

View attachment 38297
Great fish Chris!

There must be something about the method guys like you fish to get such success on a spoon type lure. I have never caught a chinook on a coho killer; only coho. Not done much good with the AP spoons either; maybe two or three is all. The only spoons that ever work for me are the Gibbs and then not often; mostly winters.

I must be fishing to fast or too slow, too deep or too shallow, leader too long or too short, or the wrong colours.....or ...who knows?? LOL;)o_O

Flat and nice out at Constance this morn unfortunately not a lot of action 1 hatchery 6 lb 70 ft no bananas spoon

Yea water looked really nice this morning from South of the Border, my place is 2 miles east of Port Angeles at 800 feet elevation. Looking out the driveway I can see across Border Bank to Victoria.

But these minus tides keep my boat in the barn!!!! Minus 1.9 this morning at Port Angeles.

Great fish Chris!

There must be something about the method guys like you fish to get such success on a spoon type lure. I have never caught a chinook on a coho killer; only coho. Not done much good with the AP spoons either; maybe two or three is all. The only spoons that ever work for me are the Gibbs and then not often; mostly winters.

I must be fishing to fast or too slow, too deep or too shallow, leader too long or too short, or the wrong colours.....or ...who knows?? LOL;)o_O

Over on this side of the border:

Spoons work. My all time best are the Tom Macks. 50/50 either hammered or not. No flasher. The flasher, with hoochie, is stacked 20 feet above the spoon.

I fish them with the release 6 feet above the cannonball. Run the cannonball less than 10 feet from the bottom. I like the ledges, drop offs from the flats to the greater depths of the Straits. Running parallel to the ledges, around 160 to 180 feet depth.

20 feet from release clip to the spoon or flasher.

29Y87pg.jpg

Just sitting here waiting for our Chinook season to open on July 15!!!

Last edited:
Was out for a bit off Albert head today, currents were ripping I was doing 5 mph at lowest idle on kicker. I must have tangled on a sunken float crab trap ( they seem to be everywhere I want to fish grrr) and had to cut myself free. Some beauty crabs in my trap that I placed out of the way ;-) if someone with a trap puller would take me out at low tide I can maybe get my gear back lol. Was marking a fair bit of bait and fish out there.

Was out for a bit off Albert head today, currents were ripping I was doing 5 mph at lowest idle on kicker. I must have tangled on a sunken float crab trap ( they seem to be everywhere I want to fish grrr) and had to cut myself free. Some beauty crabs in my trap that I placed out of the way ;-) if someone with a trap puller would take me out at low tide I can maybe get my gear back lol. Was marking a fair bit of bait and fish out there.
There is a commercial boat setting off Albert Head over the past week or so, I’m not sure if he’s a halibut or a prawn boat but I know he’s moving his sets around so be careful and keep an eye out for the floats.
T2

One fat little 8lbs spring off the flats this morning. AP herring spoon near bottom. Not a lot of bait nor action otherwise. Almost too hot on the water today.

One fat little 8lbs spring off the flats this morning. AP herring spoon near bottom. Not a lot of bait nor action otherwise. Almost too hot on the water today.
Constance was way rough compared to Oak Bay and didn't see anything caught on the flats. Found a big skate jigging that I thought was a halibut for 3 ecstatic seconds followed by disappointment. Gave up on the flats and hit my favorite kelp bed with the casting spoon. Boom a fat 66cm hatchery in 3 casts.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_143834952.jpg
    IMG_20180616_143834952.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 115
Fished 5:30 - 10:30 starting OB flats for couple hours without a bite, moved to Constance for 2 hours without a bite then breakwater Esq for hour without a bite. Saw one small fish caught by jigger at Constance. Various anchovy, coho killers and hootchies.

Out 10:30-1:30 off the waterfront, my son hooked into one just past the breakwater and didn't realize his line was still on the clip, too late, it spit the hook! lol, I couldn't believe how few of boats were out on such an awesome day!
We got to see about 50 sailboats paddling, rowing they're way to Ketchikan Alaska! That's how still it was!

out all day saturday on the flats from 7-4. tried AP spoon, coho killer, hootchie and chovies. did not see a rod move all day. We did a two hour shift off the breakwater in the afternoon and nothing was happening.
Only saw a few nets out on the flats and they looked to be small fish. Hopefully get some better action this week...
Unreal day to be on the water though :)

Back