Status
Not open for further replies.
Thrasher since noon , had a 15 min tug of war with a real nice spring that broke off 40 lb leader about 60 yards behind he boat, right off the pin in 260, 81' on the rigger glow turd, then 5 mins later 81' on the rigger in 290' about a 25 lb ling. Went in and got our other two lings and and three rockfish and back out trolling out for salmon.

A quick little recap.....best fishing for us was off Entrance following the canyons/contours 145-220' in 240' of water and green splatterback/green flash fly did all the damage. Was in touch with Jason from Pac Ang as we were among the only boats there Thurs/Fri.....he was marking fish down really quite deep to 280'. Tried many different spoons to no avail except for a few undersized. We managed a couple at the Grande but Entrance was the hotter ticket on Thurs/Fri....Saturday morning we went for a quick fish down there in glass calm water and only saw 1 or 2 nets out and ours was out once for a fish but it was quiet down there. We did lose two fish on Friday in sporty conditions that felt like a much better grade than we were bonking.....both sat and sulked down deep and wouldn't come up; lost both unfortunately as I think they got the right head shake in and amongst the waves. Largest for us was about 20 with the bulk in the 12ish pound range.

All reds except for one marbled.....and the taste is great!

Also had a great whale show late Thursday just west of Silva as we were trolling in to call it a day.

Last edited:
Headed out with a few guys from the office yesterday. Focused on the Roger Curtis area fishing in water ranging from 160’ out to 500’ along with several other boats. Ran 3 lines (anchovy, kitchen sink spoon, homeland security spoon) and varied depths from 49’ in about 30’ increments all the way down to 200’ over about 4 hrs. Had a few scrapes on the anchovies but attributing that to undersize fish. No hits of substance. Looked like one boat had a fish on - they had the net out but then put it away so either got off or they released it at the boat. I did mark bait down off the bottom & a few arches in the 120’ range but they weren’t interested in what we were towing. Fortunately the crab traps I dropped on the way out were productive and we ended up with a limit on crabs. So the guys were able to have some seafood to take home. Nice day overall but it did get choppy around mid day into the afternoon. Hope others had better luck out there.

Tough fishing yesterday for me too off RC, couple undersized and that was it. Drifted up towards popham early afternoon and bagged a nice mid upper teens and that was the day. Out in ~400+ ft water 117 in the rigger 4.0 iris creme

Last edited:
Fished roger Curtis to popham for 4 hrs yesterday. Saw bait once on the sounder around 60’ and got an 8 lber out of it, hootchie at 90’. Did another pass through but the bait was gone, didn’t see anymore and got no other bites.

Same, RC and the entire west side of Bowen was scratchy for sure, fished meat and spoons. Was a massive tide yesterday and tons of junk in the water earlier but cleared out on the flood. Had a 3 hits, one stuck on the meat but a gear failure (read operator) saw him split at the boat. Looks like winds now for a bit.

Fished roger Curtis to popham for 4 hrs yesterday. Saw bait once on the sounder around 60’ and got an 8 lber out of it, hootchie at 90’. Did another pass through but the bait was gone, didn’t see anymore and got no other bites.
Been reading alot of reports that suggest hootchies are outperforming spoons at the moment? Anyone else experiencing the same?

Wind looks ****** this weekend to cross the strait, anyone had any luck up towards hole in the wall? Haven't fished it much, what are popular depths this time of year?

Been reading alot of reports that suggest hootchies are outperforming spoons at the moment? Anyone else experiencing the same?

And yes gator , April and start of may naked 6.0 spoons were the ticket, now for me all glow hoochie show, glow cuttlefish and the large glow to zuri turd have been lights out

Looking to head to the South of Bowen tomorrow but the wind forecast looks nasty. Anyone know what it’s like today there? Just curious on how much to believe the forecast...

SailFlows showing 24 mph off Pt Atkinson right now. East Side of Island is close to 30.

Last edited:
Yes there are
Agree. Prime habitat. They are just picky because only the smart survive. They are very territorial. Catch one in prime habitat and in short order another takes its place. I’ve caught them there in areas you wouldn’t expect to find them. Why? Because they are trying to muscle into the prime spots. But with all the fishing pressure it is a real life example of Darwin’s survival of the fittest / smartest. We think Lings are dumb fish but you still have to trigger an instinct out of them before they attack your presentation. Same with all fish.

Before anyone asks “it’s supposed to blow today, anyone out there with real time reports?”.....I am in Bennet Bay on the east side of Mayne and it is blowing. ;););)

HITW enjoying some relaxing time this evening. 2 hits and one landed. 65 and 80. Up high! Nice bonus to just wanting to be on the water.

Agree. Prime habitat. They are just picky because only the smart survive. They are very territorial. Catch one in prime habitat and in short order another takes its place. I’ve caught them there in areas you wouldn’t expect to find them. Why? Because they are trying to muscle into the prime spots. But with all the fishing pressure it is a real life example of Darwin’s survival of the fittest / smartest. We think Lings are dumb fish but you still have to trigger an instinct out of them before they attack your presentation. Same with all fish.
They are getting hammered there and have been for years. People should be taking the bare minimum and sending the 20+ lbers back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back