Scotty rigger clunking.

Jencourt

My Scotty rigger has started to make a loud clunking or knocking nois as I let it out and bring it up. It is worse at the start and gets better as more braid comes off the drum. Any ideas???gong to pull it apart today and look so any suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

Is the handle whacking back and forth at the same time ?
On the way up it was yes. Then yesterday the noise started on the way out as well. I did not notice it trying to move in my hand as I held it to release braid.

Are you using braid? If so you may have a cracked spool. Braid will work its way into the seam in the middle and then expand until the spool cracks. Once cracked the spool will be uneven and wobble when turning.

Take out the spool and look for a crack around the outside near the center.

This has happened to me three times over the past 8 years. This fix is to buy a new spool and tape the center to prevent the braid from getting into the crack. Once taped it doesn’t happen again AFAIK.

Just a thought.

It's a bit of work, but you can wind the braid from one rigger to the other to check your spool.
I would try cleaning your brake pads as well.

Changed my pads and wiped the steel plate down, worked fine after that, my thought was the pads were worn out so
skips on grabbing the plate, the thicker pad made it stick to the steel plate setting it back to open and staying there
pads were so cheap so i bought a few extra and change every year, bit annoying when it slaps, or on really wet days
it slips mostly winter time.

From the handle slapping on the way up.

Warped or cracked spool. We've had it happen to us. Go talk to Andy at Scotty in Sidney. He's a great guy and will get you back fishing. Sure love Scotty's warranty.

It's a bit of work, but you can wind the braid from one rigger to the other to check your spool.
I would try cleaning your brake pads as well.

You should just be able to rotate the spool by hand with the brake off and see if the spool is wobbly after a few rotations. It was very noticeable each time this happened to me.

Very easy to work on, pull it apart and inspect the parts. Then you will know the inner workings and able to diagnose other issues. Good luck..

Thanks folks. Looked at it and the drum is definitely warped. Easy fix. Should be good to go.

How much braid are you putting on? I was putting on 450’ and broke 1 spool and warped another. Talked to Andy at Scotty’s and he suggested less braid so went back to 300’ and no problems.

Also have seen heavily used spools wear the copper sleeve on the spool itself so it gets sloppy and wobbles. It makes noise due to the wobble. By heavily I mean years of use like guides do. In this case replace spool.

Are you using braid? If so you may have a cracked spool. Braid will work its way into the seam in the middle and then expand until the spool cracks. Once cracked the spool will be uneven and wobble when turning.

Take out the spool and look for a crack around the outside near the center.

This has happened to me three times over the past 8 years. This fix is to buy a new spool and tape the center to prevent the braid from getting into the crack. Once taped it doesn’t happen again AFAIK.

Just a thought.

Nailed it

Hello gents

Your rigger handle is clunking back and fourth when your rigger is coming up means your brake pads are salted up take the drum off and clean the pads with some sand paper or emery cloth put back together your golden.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Back