2018 Pender Bluffs

Hi Ziggy ~ thought you might be interested in some of the data and sources in my letter. Keep up the pressure.
Awesome. I have now written Adam Olson, Elizabeth May and the Minister. I have also written DFO and the Minister and asked where the minutes of the meetings that were held , that resulted in this decision,could be found and why they fail to post information on a website as is in their TOR.

I will wait for awhile and if nothing is forthcoming will file a formal Access to Information Request.

Hi Ziggy ~ thought you might be interested in some of the data and sources in my letter. Keep up the pressure.

Brilliant letter and really puts things in perspective. This is what needs to get into the media.

Pender Bluffs today, commercial boat on top of whales trying to feed.

Attachments

• 35402074_10160464910305052_3770317146505084928_n.jpg
    35402074_10160464910305052_3770317146505084928_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 109
Nice pic...
Yup - because your few fish a year are more harmful than the massive boats riding their spines while they try and feed and hump!

I miss you, Pender Bluffs.
I recently wrote the new Minister to ask why there was a full fin fish closure at the Bluffs and yet a Spring non retention has worked well in the adjacent area. I suspect it’s more about making DFO’s life easier. A total closure requires less checking

Just saw a guy in a Hewescraft fishing between Gowland point and Tilly on South Pender , fisheries boat pulls up, thought good their going to pinch the guy,they don't pull in close to the guy, was expecting the rods to come up they didn't , they said something to the guy, fisheries boat takes off guy keeps fishing????? Thought ALL fin fishing was closed around Pender???

Just take a friend and say you’re Whale watching!

I wanted to make you guys laugh even though I know you aren't laughing at the situation. This is what we are dealing with.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which route the sockeye take to get to Pender Bluffs? Up the middle of Haro strait along the border / hugging the shore?
Trying to see if I can head them off in an open area :)

On a hunch and a tip, I made the trek to the east side of Saturna earlier this week. We picked up 3 sockeye during a 6 am - 2pm shift. We got them all during a one hour window. Running lots of bling - Kone zone off of ball, dummy flasher above it, flasher/pink hootchie above that, and a second rod with flasher/pink hootchie above that one, on one side and ran a traditional flasher/achovy on the other side for Springs. Weeded through tons of shakers. We actually picked up two of the Socks on the anchovy side but they may have been attracted by all the flash from the other side.

For now, it seems much different than it did in 2010 with the very short bite window and the huge number of small jacks that are around and tough to keep off. Sounds like this is similar in Sooke.

Might try off of Moresby tomorrow to see if there are some a little closer to Sidney.

On a hunch and a tip, I made the trek to the east side of Saturna earlier this week. We picked up 3 sockeye during a 6 am - 2pm shift. We got them all during a one hour window. Running lots of bling - Kone zone off of ball, dummy flasher above it, flasher/pink hootchie above that, and a second rod with flasher/pink hootchie above that one, on one side and ran a traditional flasher/achovy on the other side for Springs. Weeded through tons of shakers. We actually picked up two of the Socks on the anchovy side but they may have been attracted by all the flash from the other side.

For now, it seems much different than it did in 2010 with the very short bite window and the huge number of small jacks that are around and tough to keep off. Sounds like this is similar in Sooke.

Might try off of Moresby tomorrow to see if there are some a little closer to Sidney.
Where around moresby can you fish right now? Thought it was all shut down around there!

Back