2018 Nanaimo Reports

Not as hot today but still got in to some coho. Might have been tje pod of orcas that were in my spot at 6:30. 7-800' of water, 79-130' on the riggers.

We went out yesterday at 0800 to break my new kicker in. I let my side down and when I got to 100 feet a fish popped it off.

Over the next 4 hours we caught 20 Coho and managed to keep 3 hatchery.

120 to 140 on a green and white spoon and green spatter back hoochies.

Decided to try again for lingcod (my eternal nemesis as something always goes sideways), this time up around Nanoose. Picked up a few quillbacks, a dogfish, and some wild coho until the wind picked up which makes for tricky business when solo. Day ended pretty quick when the lightning started, seeing as I didn't want to turn into a human bbq. Still batting zilch on the lingcod front. One day, lingcod, I shall have thee!

Unreel, I trolled from the last finger down NW from 300 to 400 feet of water. Trolled down towards Neck Pt and then back up for the most part.

120' on one side and 140' on the other. 140 caught more fish.

The 3 we kept were about 6 pounds and released a couple around 8 pounds.

3 more days and it's time to head to Nootka for the next 90 days. So that's my last trip out here until September. Should be some Sockeye fishing when I get back across the water at the mouth of the Fraser.

Mike

Beauty night last night in the water. Surprised there weren't more boats out. No luck for lings, released one under spring, bonked one nice hatch coho and released a handful of wilds. Splatterback hootchies were top. 100-140 on the rigger.

So I fish off my kayak . When and where can a guy jig up salmon around Nanaimo.
Any time. I would launch out by neck point and try around there. Guys cast off the shore and get them out that way. Right off neck point can be a good spot. Just be prepared for a seal grabbing your fish.

Awesome night out there tonight! Action was non stop with coho and even found a couple nice springs (11 and 13lbs)!

Only used two rigs all night hearing aid with green flasher and monkey puke with purple teaser head. Bait put both springs in the boat but both rigs lost some screamers...

BBCE22FC-F4F3-454C-AC8F-C808BEB306E7.jpeg

Hey folks. Planning a fishing trip for this weekend. I'm thinking of trying thrashers, Polier, or the fingers. Any favorites right now?

QUOTE="Yanray, post: 884824, member: 12453"]Hey folks. Planning a fishing trip for this weekend. I'm thinking of trying thrashers, Polier, or the fingers. Any favorites right now?[/QUOTE]

Hey Yanray. Fished out of Silva bay this week. NW Winds made it a tough week to get out to thrasher but spent most of our time close to the green can. First trip over we did not tub out. Released a couple dozen wild coho, which kept it fun and made up for the lighter tub. 18 to 110 on the riggers but mostly 40 to 70. Got one keeper hatchery spring at 60 also. Two lings as well.
05F9B07F-461C-445D-BD29-784A29ED9884.jpeg

Well it is official looks like I am on this page now, and up near you guys in a few weeks. Looking forward to splitting my time up with the Sooke summer fishery and new spots up north. I know nothing about this area except a few trips to Thrasher so it should be interesting getting to know the place.

Well it is official looks like I am on this page now, and up near you guys in a few weeks. Looking forward to splitting my time up with the Sooke summer fishery and new spots up north. I know nothing about this area except a few trips to Thrasher so it should be interesting getting to know the place.

Welcome! Nanaimo is great place to fish!

Inaugural salt run for the boat. Short stint on the water.

Entrance 1pm-330pm.

One small undersize Chinook released cleanly. Skinny G spoon got the undersize. Tried a hoochy on the other side.

Saw no fish caught, void of bait from my point of view. Amazing day though! Grin ear to ear. Off to hopefully more fishy waters tomorrow!

Back