Tipping at lodges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully that provides a little insight on what it's like to guide at a lodge and why gratuities are encouraged if not mandatory.

So you don't speak for everyone in the industry, but...

1) Do you claim 100% of tips & gratuities on your income tax? What do others do?
2) Without the tips, is the job economically viable for you? What about others?
3) Do you get laid off in the off season and take unemployment insurance, or do you have a 'straight gig.' What about others?

1) Do you claim 100% of tips & gratuities on your income tax? What do others do?
3) Do you get laid off in the off season and take unemployment insurance, or do you have a 'straight gig.' What about others?

those are all personal questions.....

Yup, they are.

But this thread has opened the can of worms with those in the industry writing about the need for clients to tip them. So let's ask the uncomfortable questions here...

But I suspect the answer for most will be, no, no and going on the dole.

Yup, they are.

But this thread has opened the can of worms with those in the industry writing about the need for clients to tip them. So let's ask the uncomfortable questions here...

But I suspect the answer for most will be, no, no and going on the dole.

Che - Joins forum may 4th, stirs the pot more than he fishes

Moral of the story with tipping , it's part of going to a northern lodge, there are minimum tips explained for a reason, these lodges are not for everyone. You gotta pay to play

Just posted a fishing report bud.

Go ahead and try to call me names or whatever else you want. We all know the unspoken truth here, and none of these guides are going to like the of face it. They probably don't pay taxes on their tips, they rely on those tips to make their lifestyle of a job financially viable (because they don't pay taxes on all their income) and that part of their income comes from the social safety net set up for people who legitimately lose their jobs. Yet they're going to come on a thread like this and cry boo-hoo-hoo for me because they don't get enough tips?

Sorry to fart in the echo chamber.

@Admin. ILHG started this thread and he posted that he got what he needed out of it, so could you please shut er down?

Last edited:
Fun fact members: if you don’t want to see a particular member’s posts, tap or click their name and hit ignore. My blood pressure just went down 50 points.

Just posted a fishing report bud.

Go ahead and try to call me names or whatever else you want. We all know the unspoken truth here, and none of these guides are going to like the of face it. They probably don't pay taxes on their tips, they rely on those tips to make their lifestyle of a job financially viable (because they don't pay taxes on all their income) and that part of their income comes from the social safety net set up for people who legitimately lose their jobs. Yet they're going to come on a thread like this and cry boo-hoo-hoo for me because they don't get enough tips?

Sorry to fart in the echo chamber.

sorry you cant get paid to fish, some of us sacrifice so we can.

sorry you cant get paid to fish, some of us sacrifice so we can.

Being smug about your situation doesn't aggravate me. You get paid to go fishing. That's awesome, I wish I could do that too. But, the questions remain. Do you pay your fair share of income taxes? Do unreported and untaxed tips make it financially viable for you. Do you use Unemployment Insurance when its the off season?

Simple questions. I feel like Pierre Poilievre here because I know nobody's going to answer them. Go ahead and make me out to be some kind of villain or jerk or any other pejorative you want to avoid them. Doesn't change the answers. If you're not paying your share of taxes, and using unreported income and pogey to sustain this lifestyle, while some working family scrapes by to make ends meet? There's nothing to be smug about.

yup smug, and i am sure all the tips i make or a good portion of, get passed to others through the year to everyone else in the service industry. gas jockey, barista, waiter/tress, cabs etc.... you should be not tipping any of them i guess because they all take advantage of the system. good on ya.

Being sarcastic doesn't avoid the question. I'm not the bad guy because I want people to pay their fair share of income taxes.

We're not going to go 'round and 'round here. Nobody wants to admit they're a tax cheat, I get it. But there's no justification for the butt hurt about not being 'tipped' appropriately when the reality is those tips are nothing more than lucre that subsidize a lifestyle. I think this thread has run its course.

Being smug about your situation doesn't aggravate me. You get paid to go fishing. That's awesome, I wish I could do that too. But, the questions remain. Do you pay your fair share of income taxes? Do unreported and untaxed tips make it financially viable for you. Do you use Unemployment Insurance when its the off season? ... There's nothing to be smug about.
As far as we know you are not the CRA police so stand down on the sanctimony. Sometimes being quiet and being thought a fool is better.

@Che
First tips are a hidden cost you don’t like.
Then guides are prima donnas.
Next the job they do is hardly working because fishing is fun.
Now you generalize guides into tax cheats and unemployment insurance collectors.
Put a sock in it man, you have no clue what your talking about and clearly don’t know any guides or have any understanding of the job they do.
You must like stirring the pot so much that you don’t mind losing the respect of the community on this forum.
Shame (ring bell)
Shame (ring bell)
Shame (ring bell)

Most of our tips are on credit and are automatically taxed on my cheque. I claim the others but most other guides probably are less than honest when it comes to reporting cash tips. Do most waitstaff claim their tips on their taxes? Probably not. I've never collected any kind of welfare or ui/ei in my lifetime. Of course none of this is any of your business but I may as well clear the air. By the way im wasting my 5 mins of free time at lunch to debunk your assumptions. Have a great day bud, maybe focus more on yourself and worry less about others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back