Trim tab anodes

My tabs are about that size, a bit bigger. I believe the anodes are the 4 inch disk type. Each tab has two that are bolted to the tab blade with a single bolt, one on each side of the tab blades for a total of 4 anodes.

Last edited:
Something I forgot to mention. While my hull is glass, there is a very large Al. pod on the back which also has a separate power lift and two outboards attached to it and a stainless rack attached on top for the large fish box/cooler. In order to control and balance electrolysis and minimize developing hot boat syndrome especially when using steel cable on the riggers, the anodes on the tabs are electrically connected to the Al pod with small diameter stainless steel cable. Between the tabs, motors, lift and pod, there are a total of 14 Zinc or Al alloy anodes on the back of our boat, not counting any internal motor anodes. Some are small like on the lift and some are large like the main zinc for the large pod. Have not checked the rigger cable with a meter for a few years but the boat is fishy.

Last edited:
I recently posted a picture of my Bennett tabs on a boating website, wanting to know if they were in both a fully extended and fully withdrawn position. Although I received several reply posts that both tabs were indeed operating correctly, I also received numerous posts critical of my tab anodes, which are 4" discs bolted through the tabs, a disc on both sides of each tab.

An anode on both sides of the tabs?

"A big no-no" would summarize the responses I received. Since I have a 20 degree deadrise hull that is extremely squirrelly to run at speed, I started wondering if the tabs were so touchy due to having always run my anodes through-bolted on both sides of the tabs. After receiving those responses, I got to thinking and ultimately decided to remove the bottom halfs of the anodes on both tabs. Might be my imagination, but I would swear that now, the boat rides more stable and isn't quite as touchy as it used to be to an improper tab setting.

That’s interesting. I have a Campion 672 with tabs that have anodes setup similiarly. I’ve always wondered if it would make a difference removing the lower side one.

Back