2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Deckhands slept in so ended up fishing 9-12 Saturday. No bites and no crab and no other boats! Boat handled the wind well, hope I didn't misread the regs and the winds are why we fished alone ;)

Well, I know you weren't on the flats !

Deckhands slept in so ended up fishing 9-12 Saturday. No bites and no crab and no other boats! Boat handled the wind well, hope I didn't misread the regs and the winds are why we fished alone ;)[/QUOTE the fishing was good on the flats yesterday

Yeah, saw a couple boats running there but decided against pounding back to the harbour in that weather based on yesterdays report. Did you clean up Scott? I'm doing my best to conserve the fish this year for you and the whales!
Ha ha, no Saturday was slow for me.
Had a bruiser on for a while though and lost it behind the boat.

Fished the flats on the weekend and got into a few 5-8lbers on coho killers... fished the front Saturday night fishing summer depths and got skunked. Off to Haida Gwaii today for my first summer of guiding at North King Lodge, so I’ll see you boys in August. Hope you all have a great summer!

I fished Sidney to stay out of the wind on Sun. No luck up there but did see someone slip a 8lbish looking fish into the box at the Gap as I rolled back to the Cattle Point ramp around 230.

saw a guy at the gas station, said he was 3/7 on the flats and a bite was on 3-6pm that was Sunday. I was unfortunately filling jerry cans to cut the lawn and the boat is out of the water for maintenance :( back in next friday I hope

Fished the flats on the weekend and got into a few 5-8lbers on coho killers... fished the front Saturday night fishing summer depths and got skunked. Off to Haida Gwaii today for my first summer of guiding at North King Lodge, so I’ll see you boys in August. Hope you all have a great summer!

Nice going on the guiding gig. I'll hold down the fort in home waters for the red Lund club. ;-)

The family and I had a great weekend boat cuddy camping and fishing from Victoria to Prnder Island and back. Friday went out to Constance for the afternoon current change and had great fishing and no other boats. 3 double headers, a couple wilds released beside the boat, and kept a nice small hatch for the bbq for the first night on boat. 3” herring spoons at 80’ had the most action and biggest fish.

Saturday was a family day so not much fishing but good times anchored at Sidney spit for the night.

Sunday we stopped enroute to Pender Island and fished the south side of Moresby...since every where else is closed!! We did find a couple fish and let a nice 12lb wild swim for the orcas.

Monday morning we ran back to Victoria to get the kids to school and...then I fished the flats solo for a few hours to finish off the trip. Landed a double header right off the bat and boxed a 16-18lb silver bullet and released the 7lb beside boat. Lost another solid one and released a couple more small ones. Got DNA sample of the teener (and 6 others over the weekend) and I’m guessing the big one will come back Columbia. Fish were off the bottom a bit 80’ on rigger in 90-100’. 3” herring spoon was the weekend workhorse.

Off Oak Bay flats today 12 - 4. not a bite for salmon, got one rockfish near Brodie. Saw one chinook caught. Guy said it was #15 hatchery.

Huh, thanks Andrew. I have one of your herring spoons but it is much larger than 3". May have go back to IO and get one of those!

5-9 on the flats tonight trolling and jigging
Not a sniff, caught vancouver island and lost a new jig :(
Couple other boats but didn't see any action. Maybe Constance is the place to be

7-11 clover pt and area. Landed a 6.5 and lost a bigger one. Both hits on spoons one on bottom, one lower water column.

Jigged the flats / Gap from 6:30 to 11:00 from max ebb through slack. Saw nothing caught by anyone. Probably 15 boats at a time but some kept arriving / leaving so I bet 25 boats got skunked. :)

Some small bait balls hit by the birds. Bait seemed to be 5" herring or anchovy. Saw a brown pelican in the birds!

IMG_20180610_071015725.jpg

Last edited:
Back