smelly jelly

I haven't used bait or scent as the areas I primarily fish can be loaded with dogfish.

Any thoughts on not using scent on lures because of the dogfish? Does it make things any worse with them?
I haven't noticed anymore dogfish using it. But I have noticed my Copenhagen tastes a little funny after applying it.

I haven't noticed anymore dogfish using it. But I have noticed my Copenhagen tastes a little funny after applying it.

If a person doesn’t notice any more dogfish as a result of putting scent on the lure, wonder how many salmon actually are caught because of the scent??? I would think dogfish would have a better sense of smell than salmon, no.???

Oly

If a person doesn’t notice any more dogfish as a result of putting scent on the lure, wonder how many salmon actually are caught because of the scent??? I would think dogfish would have a better sense of smell than salmon, no.???

Oly
I'm no fish biologist, But I have fished scented and not side by side and have been a die hard scent user for twenty years now. Really like the smelly jelly pro guide formula herring scent.

I'm no fish biologist, But I have fished scented and not side by side and have been a die hard scent user for twenty years now. Really like the smelly jelly pro guide formula herring scent.
That’s been my go to for the past few years, especially jigging salmon and I’ve done very well...

Does anyone apply x10 or smelly jelly to their down rigger balls? Or is there such a thing as too much scent?

Fish have a powerful sense of smell that helps them home in on prey. Humans emit a chemical called L-serine that has been proven in scientific studies to repel fish. Other repellents include tobacco, gas and oil, sunscreen and bug spray. So the number one rule before using scent is to keep your hands and gear clean. A wee bit of dish soap and a good rinse will do the job.

While the scent of prey will attract a target fish species, studies have shown that the natural scents of garlic and anise will mask human odours. For artificial scents to work, they must be water soluble and persistent. As others have mentioned, this makes them messy to work with. However, there is no doubt that masking human odour and applying an attractant can up your chances of fishing success.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only person here who ends up attracting Dogfish every time I use scent on trolling gear-to the point where I've stopped using it altogether.

Back