Sentry Shoal Closure

Prawn Star

OK I know that area always has been closed from 1-31 June. I have been searching this years fishery notices and I can't find anything regarding this. Everyone is telling me it is closed but where is the official notice?

OK I know that area always has been closed from 1-31 June. I have been searching this years fishery notices and I can't find anything regarding this. Everyone is telling me it is closed but where is the official notice?
Closed for what? Just the RCA as far as I know.

Hold up folks.... I'm sure he knows about the RCA rules. The issue here is that we have a few June 1 - June 31 closures in area 14 to protect the Cowichan fish. This has been standard for years. There was one that was north of sentry shoal that appears to be not closed this year. This is something that has been asked, thru SFAC/SFAB, so maybe they listened.

Hold up folks.... I'm sure he knows about the RCA rules. The issue here is that we have a few June 1 - June 31 closures in area 14 to protect the Cowichan fish. This has been standard for years. There was one that was north of sentry shoal that appears to be not closed this year. This is something that has been asked, thru SFAC/SFAB, so maybe they listened.

No such luck .... It's listed under other closures on DFO's website. Here is the link and instruction on finding it.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s14-eng.html#area-closures
Go to the Salmon Tab
Look on the right hand side and look for a link to a pdf that says Courtenay, Comox and Qualicum chinook and coho openings and other closures.
or
Here is a shortcut to the pdf......
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/14-co-chq-eng.pdf

You don't know the rules for a RCA - UNBELIEVABLE
I know what an RCA is dipshit. He was referring to a closure other than an RCA. As GLG pointed out it is indeed closed for chinooks at Sentry. Although the boundries are vague. Just jump on over to Grant Reefs like everyone else does.

Last edited:
No such luck .... It's listed under other closures on DFO's website. Here is the link and instruction on finding it.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s14-eng.html#area-closures
Go to the Salmon Tab
Look on the right hand side and look for a link to a pdf that says Courtenay, Comox and Qualicum chinook and coho openings and other closures.
or
Here is a shortcut to the pdf......
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/14-co-chq-eng.pdf
Thanks GLG. I thought I was losing it. LOL How can this request turn into a name calling thing?

Thanks GLG. I thought I was losing it. LOL How can this request turn into a name calling thing?

Aren't we all on edge from the continuous great dumpster fire of 2015, where Putin light the match on social media.

Sentry isn't a RCA, just mitlenatch and a mile around it. The online regs are terribly difficult and cumbersome to read it's shameful that it is so poorly designed.

Sentry isn't a RCA, just mitlenatch and a mile around it. The online regs are terribly difficult and cumbersome to read it's shameful that it is so poorly designed.
I'm glad you said that, I thought it was just me being from the other side of the pond.

What if a person doesn't have a computer? I was baffled and I have been using one since they came out. I know ignorance of that law is no excuse but how is a person supposed to do their due diligence with such abstract, hard to find regulations. The DFO search engine doesn't even work properly. It would be interesting to see someone fight a charge based on those points.

That is the most horrible attempt at an apology I have witnessed.
Think about it.

The DFO has the worst website in the federal government. Even a seasoned pro like GLG took a bit to find the needle in the haystack.
It should not be so difficult to find out such restrictions.

Ok boys take it outside :)

No need. I understand perfectly. No sense engaging with him. Not worth the time or effort. The original posts question was answered and everyone learned something. Well almost everyone. Carry on people lets have some fun catching our one fish.

Dunno about BC but down here somebody calls you that you owe them something other than an apology. Pretty safe to fling crap online that you wouldn't say to somebody's face.

Been fishing BC since 1978 I know a RCA is closed to all finish, so when I see someone post something otherwise I'll correct it. If you can't handle being corrected, don't post stuff that NEEDS correction. AKA grow-up.

Dunno about BC but down here somebody calls you that you owe them something other than an apology. Pretty safe to fling crap online that you wouldn't say to somebody's face.

Ericl.....Do you really think I owe you an apology???

Back