Repeat of article in Globe and Mail

OldBlackDog

Seals, sea lions devastating West Coast salmon runs
Published April 11, 2010
The most surprising thing about the kill was how easy and fast it was.

The seal dived into the black depths of the canyon pool in the Pitt River, flushed out a spring salmon, trailed it across the shallows and pinned the fish against a rock, killing it with a violent head jerk.

The chase had taken less than a minute and had we not been rafting by at that moment, it would have gone unseen - as perhaps tens of millions of such kills do each year.

It's not known how many salmon are killed by seals and sea lions in British Columbia annually, but a few years ago Peter Olesiuk, of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, did a study of harbour seals in the Puntledge River, on Vancouver Island.

He concluded that three dozen seals had killed 10,000 adult chum salmon in the fall spawning run.

Find the number shocking?

Well, consider this: Mr. Olesiuk also calculated how many salmon fry the seals were eating in the spring: 3.1 million.

"They take 60 to 70 chum fry, per minute, per seal," he says. "They eat the young fish like popcorn."

Mr. Olesiuk points out that the Puntledge is unusual because it runs under a well-lit highway bridge that allows the seals to feed at night. But the efficiency with which seals vacuum up salmon should concern everyone.

Mr. Olesiuk's latest coast-wide census, to be released this week, shows B.C.'s seal and sea lion populations are at historic high levels.

There are an estimated 105,000 harbour seals on the coast - up from about 10,000 in the early 1970s - and 28,000 Steller's sea lions, the highest number since the early 1900s.

Both seals and sea lions used to be hunted on the West Coast, but there has been no commercial harvest or predator control efforts since 1970.

By contrast, on the East Coast, the commercial hunt this year will take 330,000 from an estimated overall population of seven million.

In B.C., salmon farmers have permits to kill seals and sea lions that invade their pens. But the take of a few hundred is relatively small.

It isn't known how many seals and sea lions are killed illegally, but sports, native and commercial fishermen do shoot some.

"You do find a carcass washed up now and then with a bullet hole in it, but I suspect a very small number of animals are killed this way," Mr. Olesiuk said.

On the Fraser River, the Sto:lo Tribal Council has repeatedly asked for permits so fishermen can legally shoot seals and sea lions. So far those permits have been denied. As a result, a clandestine seal kill is taking place.

"Seals will come right into our nets and rip the salmon out," said Ernie Crey, a Sto:lo fisheries advisor. "And I can tell you that fishermen do pull out their guns and deal with it … I can't understand why a salmon farmer can get a permit to protect his salmon, while native fishermen can't."

Fishermen on the Fraser say it used to be unusual to see seals far up the river, but now they are everywhere.

Pitt River Lodge owner Danny Gerak says there are 15 seals at the river mouth this spring, and last summer, during the height of the salmon run, he counted 180 hauled out on log booms.

He favours a seal cull, but added: "It's pointless to kill seals if you don't address the other problems, too. I think salmon farms and hydro projects do more damage."

But removing seals from rivers can have immediate and direct impact.

In Scotland, a study found that taking a single seal out of the Moriston River increased the sports salmon catch by 17 per cent. On other rivers, removing seals had varying results, with salmon catches increasing from less than 1 per cent to more than 33 per cent.

Mr. Olesiuk says that on big rivers, when salmon are abundant, seals do minimal damage. But in some places - especially where salmon runs are small - they can be devastating.

Twelve years ago, there was a temporary seal cull on the Puntledge. The salmon run flourished afterward and people are now calling for another kill.

Mr. Olesiuk urges a cautious approach, saying site-specific scientific study should precede any cull.

But with B.C. salmon runs at historic lows and seal populations at historic highs, it is obvious action needs to be taken.

It's not known how many salmon are killed by seals and sea lions in British Columbia annually, but a few years ago Peter Olesiuk, of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, did a study of harbour seals in the Puntledge River, on Vancouver Island.
PSF study shows 89% which is 7.9 million out going Chinook smolts every year killed by seals

PSF study shows 89% which is 7.9 million out going Chinook smolts every year killed by seals
Quit making stuff up! Your 89% is a total fabrication. Now if you want to see something that PSF did say how about this.

The Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF) believes that British Columbia and Canada must put wild Pacific salmon first and that a move to closed-containment salmon aquaculture is recommended. We are taking this position now based on the combination of the information in the recent report of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Finfish Aquaculture; the results of our own research to date; and the chronically-low abundance of most wild Pacific salmon populations today.

This transition to closed containment will take time but the removal of open net-pen farms along migratory routes of wild Pacific salmon, particularly for those stocks of greatest concern, should occur as soon as possible. During this transition, everything possible should be done to improve the assessment of the risks to wild Pacific salmon, including through the work of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative that is being done in partnership with PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC.

Could you please share a link to that study? All I could find on the PSF website was this; https://www.psf.ca/blog/seals-taking-bite-out-salmon-survival. This blog states 40%-60% of total juvenile coho and 30%-50% of juvenile Chinook.
Quit making stuff up! Your 89% is a total fabrication. Now if you want to see something that PSF did say how about this.

The Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF) believes that British Columbia and Canada must put wild Pacific salmon first and that a move to closed-containment salmon aquaculture is recommended. We are taking this position now based on the combination of the information in the recent report of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Finfish Aquaculture; the results of our own research to date; and the chronically-low abundance of most wild Pacific salmon populations today.

This transition to closed containment will take time but the removal of open net-pen farms along migratory routes of wild Pacific salmon, particularly for those stocks of greatest concern, should occur as soon as possible. During this transition, everything possible should be done to improve the assessment of the risks to wild Pacific salmon, including through the work of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative that is being done in partnership with PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC.

been posted here already. talk about making stuff up..... whats the name of the diseases that farms are spreading?...... still nothing? how much or how many salmon do farms kill every year?
Capture.JPG

you keep saying they bottom load the sea floor, do you have a study that shows what you claim? all i can find is a training site in nova scotia, shows poor feeding pictures. is there a peer reviewed study that you base from?

Could you please share a link to that study? All I could find on the PSF website was this; https://www.psf.ca/blog/seals-taking-bite-out-salmon-survival. This blog states 40%-60% of total juvenile coho and 30%-50% of juvenile Chinook.

He can't because it's a myth. I don't know if he is misinformed or if he is informed but just wants to point a finger anywhere else rather than what PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC. is telling us. If your interested here is a link to the study that this myth came from.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-14984-8.pdf

Page 4...
Pinniped consumption of juvenile Chinook salmon was a substantial component of predation mortality coastwide, but particularly in the Salish Sea. Of the estimated 27.4 million Chinook salmon consumed coastwide by harbor seals in 2015 (Fig. 3), 23.2 million were smolts consumed in the Salish Sea. The percentage of the total coastwide smolt production consumed by harbor seals increased from 1.5% (3.5 million consumed out of 236.8 million estimated total production) in 1975 to 6.5% (27.4 million consumed out of 423.4 million estimated total production) in 2015. Harbor seals in the Salish Sea (i.e. Puget Sound, Strait of Georgia, and Strait of San Juan de Fuca) accounted for 86.4% of the total coast wide smolt consumption in 2015, due to large increases in the harbor seal abundance in this region between 1975 and 2015 (8,600 to 77,800), as well as a large diet fraction of Chinook salmon smolts relative to other regions (see supplemental material).

To be clear......
1975 was 1.5% of the smolts were consumed by seals.
2015 was 6.5% of the smolts were consumed by seals.
Out of those numbers 86.4% of the consumption happened in the Salish Sea.

Don't get me wrong. I do think that we have a problem with seals but misinformation is a bigger problem. Here is a link to the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project. It shows that one of our problems is with the out migrating smolts that were studied in a few of our estuaries. It seems that there is a percentage of seals that have specialized to take advantage of those out migrating smolts.
https://marinesurvivalproject.com/research_activity/list/predation/

There is a whole existing thread from several months ago on this myth number (86% not 89%) from the study GLG posted. The study correctly identifies the Salish sea as the region where most (86%) of smolt predation occurs, but no where near 86% of smolts are eaten. The number isn't 7.9million smolts, its 27 million, but it also points out that the 27 million smolts consumed are only about 15% of the INCREASED production since the 70s when SEP started pumping them out in industrial quantities. The 86% of smolts misinformation number will probably just keep coming up since its the only way to support a widespread seal kill.

There is a whole existing thread from several months ago on this myth number (86% not 89%) from the study GLG posted. The study correctly identifies the Salish sea as the region where most (86%) of smolt predation occurs, but no where near 86% of smolts are eaten. The number isn't 7.9million smolts, its 27 million, but it also points out that the 27 million smolts consumed are only about 15% of the INCREASED production since the 70s when SEP started pumping them out in industrial quantities. The 86% of smolts misinformation number will probably just keep coming up since its the only way to support a widespread seal kill.
Lmao..... Your spitting hairs..... 89% vs 86%

Lol

Don't get me wrong. I do think that we have a problem with seals but misinformation is a bigger problem. Here is a link to the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project. It shows that one of our problems is with the out migrating smolts that were studied in a few of our estuaries. It seems that there is a percentage of seals that have specialized to take advantage of those out migrating smolts.
https://marinesurvivalproject.com/research_activity/list/predation/
Sorry GLG but misinformation seems to run amuck here. Those numbers are from the 2017 PSF SALISH SEA PROJECT, its not public yet, I first laid claims to this last fall so nothing new.....

NOW PLEASE: if fish farms are causing disease what's it called?
Is this disease Chinook only or acroos the board?
What and how much environmental impact is happening in areas around fish farms?

You've called me out, calling me a liar. I answered your question, please just try to answer mine.

I see your argument 6% for seals and 86% for predators. So...... How can you say fish farms did it? Anyway you look at it 86% of out going smolts are missing and its not fish farms

How many did the farms kill last year?

He can't because it's a myth. I don't know if he is misinformed or if he is informed but just wants to point a finger anywhere else rather than what PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC. is telling us. If your interested here is a link to the study that this myth came from.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-14984-8.pdf

To be clear......
1975 was 1.5% of the smolts were consumed by seals.
2015 was 6.5% of the smolts were consumed by seals.
Out of those numbers 86.4% of the consumption happened in the Salish Sea.
Thanks for the actual link, GLG. And I see the study was funded by the PSC, not PSF.

Back