Fresh off the smoker

Scott, at what point do you brush on the honey? I brush it on after pulling the fish, mostly to give it a bit of shine for presentation purposes rather than flavor, but flavor potential does intrigue me enough to try your technique next time.

Here’s mine with honey brushed afterward.

Barry

Attachments

• 70F634B4-0370-4BCB-866B-13FAB46E38F9.jpeg
    70F634B4-0370-4BCB-866B-13FAB46E38F9.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 62
Thx, I’ll give it a shot. I was concerned it would trap too much moisture and create the ‘boogers’, but guess not.

07092018325.jpg
Dry brine without rinsing. It turned out well. There is another batch making the neighbours fear forest fire season has started. Trying to smoke up any leftovers from last year while doing inventory of the hoochies.
Anyone else buy packs they forgot they had?

How long do you guys feel the smoked salmon can be kept when vacuum packed ?
Do you guys also put your smoked salmon into the freezer when vacuum packed ?

Id say it'll keep over a year or more. Depends how well it's been kept/cared for. Usually old pieces I'll use in a seafood fettuccine or something when the salmon is mixed up. But the fresher stuff, I'll have on its own. I'll put it in the freezer, but usually keep a few packs out to eat over the next while. When I know I'm going to use some, I'll pull it out and thaw in the fridge or else just on the counter if I'm under the gun.

Back