Rally Against DFO In Planning For July Long Weekend

South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition...non profit society that advocates for anglers and fish. Sport Fishing Institute ...non profit society doing the same work as SVIAC with broad representation from stakeholders.

Need to address the lack of funding from the government.

Should have the rods out with just flashers that have a message on them like #prosalmon or hope or something tactile, that can be referenced after this event in a positive manner.

Maybe Gibbs can get behind this with proceeds going to net pen initiatives. After all. If we aren’t fishing no one will be buying!

Where is Mark Pendlington?
Where is the Gibbs tackle multimedia goon squad?
Where is Brendan Morrison and willie Mitchell?
Coop?
Where is our local tackle stores ? Searun ? High water tackle ? Berry’s? Fred’s? Pacific Angler?
Where is the the main fishing website of the Lower mainland?
Fishingwithrod not doing anything to help because their is no profit for yourself?
Thank you for everyone stepping up!
Be the change you want to see!!

Ok all, there is obviously some mixed emotions on this subject. I have received many posts and PM’s from both sides. As I’ve mentioned all along I have not been fishing forever, but since I started, it has become a serious passion. I’m already sick of the way the government treats our oceans and am not the type of person to sit around and not be heard. (As you can tell by my 500+ posts since I started these forums last fall.)
I couldn’t imagine how badly I would feel if this goes ahead and screw over in some way the veterans and all others for that matter that have had fishing be a big part of their lives for years and even decades. (Or centuries in Fishtofino’s case)
I figured the reward of doing this outweighs the risk, but maybe I should just go back to talking about Shimano Technium rods and asking what kind of bait people are using. Oh, and don’t forget my witty comments about boats for sale.
Basically I’m putting a pin in this and I hope the organizations that we pay into do a good job of representing us in the near future. Sorry to those who supported it, but as I said up front we really need to be united on this and we are not.
Once again I will be out of country for the meeting in Sooke, but I would like to hear what the outcome is before making any plans. If you decide to go ahead with this Stizzla, I support you and will be on the water with you. Whoever speaks with the media should have three to five points to make and answer every question with one of the points. Politicians dont say the same thing over and over while saying nothing for a reason. Except for Trump, they usually dont get baited into going off script buy leading questions. Stick to the talking points and you will be fine.

DFO is only motivated by fear. For this regulation change to be considered a temporary experiment that was reversed next year, they will need to experience serious pressure. Working the media effectively (with a strategy), coordinated and organised letter writing campaigns, evidence submitted that embarrasses the department, etc. Leblanc would need to see that there is more political capital to lose than to gain from keeping the regulations in effect. Consider filing an Access to Information Request (ATIP) with DFO and specifically request all internal correspondence (emails, letters, meeting notes) and correspondence between DFO and third parties (First Nations, environmental organisations, whale watching companies, etc) in relation to this regulation change. There might be a smoking gun that DFO would be obliged to divulge that can then be used to leverage change/create pressure.

Where is Mark Pendlington?
Where is the Gibbs tackle multimedia goon squad?
Where is Brendan Morrison and willie Mitchell?
Coop?
Where is our local tackle stores ? Searun ? High water tackle ? Berry’s? Fred’s? Pacific Angler?
Where is the the main fishing website of the Lower mainland?
Fishingwithrod not doing anything to help because their is no profit for yourself?
Thank you for everyone stepping up!
Be the change you want to see!!
Well said! Time for theses heavy hitters to step up and fight!

DFO is only motivated by fear. For this regulation change to be considered a temporary experiment that was reversed next year, they will need to experience serious pressure. Working the media effectively (with a strategy), coordinated and organised letter writing campaigns, evidence submitted that embarrasses the department, etc. Leblanc would need to see that there is more political capital to lose than to gain from keeping the regulations in effect. Consider filing an Access to Information Request (ATIP) with DFO and specifically request all internal correspondence (emails, letters, meeting notes) and correspondence between DFO and third parties (First Nations, environmental organisations, whale watching companies, etc) in relation to this regulation change. There might be a smoking gun that DFO would be obliged to divulge that can then be used to leverage change/create pressure.
DFO is about to get sued if they don't implement the required changes in that David Suzuki report. They were about to get sued and DFO begged the organization not to,then turned around and only shut rec fishing down. Whale watching boats are soon taking a hit.

How come the rec sector isn’t sueing? We need to effectively pool our money together.

As for a fish in, if the Pender Bluffs idea is off I’ll likely drop the lines without a hook Saturday AM of the July Long and think I’ll do a few tacs off Collinson/Helens point end of Active Pass. I’m based on Mayne. It’s a pretty iconic fishing area and well seen by the ferries. Think I’ll show from around 1030 - 12 ish depends on when tide change is as I’ll likely fish Salamanca in the PM. Of course the more people and boats the merrier.

I agree. ATIP generally gets governments attention. I have already filed one requesting and requiring all documentation including the above records with respect to the Pender closures. Best $5 I could spend. From friends in government I understand ATIP requests are a royal pain and governments generally try and bring policies that avoid folks making requests.

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

I have also requested enforcement records of vessels getting too close to marine mammals (in particular the whale watchers I see intentionally and consistently sandwich orcas at close range.) I believe it is scandalous for DFO to target fishers while ignoring these SRKW harassing vessels.

Stizzla DO IT. what you are proposing is EXACTLY what we need. Do not let the naysayers bring you down. what we have done and always have done has got us exactly where we are. We need action and that's exactly what you are doing. GOOD ON YAH

Last edited:
I started a whale watch harassment thread. Any of you want to do something start recording videos/photos etc in your closed zones. Listen guys I am totally on your side. What happened in Pender and JDF effects effect my fishing 2. Start calling out things when you see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with ya Stizzla. Maybe refrain from interviews if possible. Nothing against you. Name the time and place.

Stizzla DO IT. what you are proposing is EXACTLY what we need. Do not let the naysayers bring you down. what we have done and always have done has got us exactly where we want. We need action and that's exactly what you are doing. GOOD ON YAH
I still think taking action would bethe best plan moving. However, as some of the naysayers have said, it’s most important to have a very organized and concise plan of action. At this time I am working between 50-60 hours per week and with a baby I’m getting about 5 hours of sleep a night. I can’t put forward the effort needed to do this properly.

Whining about whale watchers is going to do nothing to help us except perhaps have somebody else not happy with the DFO which doesn’t matter, because nobody is doing anything to help the real problems. AND...why would they try to help us, a group that is taddle tailing on them anyways?

This is the last time I’m getting sucked into a politics thread. Take care!

I am going to respond nicely to outoftowner or whoever you are. I could care less what you think of me and my posts. What I do care about is what we are doing as a group. That is why I made those comments. Its easy to attack those on the keyboard and never engage someone face to face. I stated on here, and still do that any protest should be thought out first. I do have a lot of first hand experience in this area, and know how media can twist a message when it is not loud in clear. That involvement was 4 year battle at high level with the Province, and in the end successful through social media and protesting. Each time the message was well though out and clear.

I appreciate your Passion Stizzla. We do need those younger to pass the Torch to and it is always a small dedicated few who carry the load for a great many and demonstrate leadership quality. I think you have that, but it is also a learning process. I hope you can make the Meeting tonight at the Prestige Hotel in Sooke at 7:00 pm. I have been through a number of fishery battles over the years and held picket signs outside MP constituency offices etc. My age and chemo drugs definitely slow me down now. We have won some of those battles over the years to various degrees and in some cases have limited or at least slowed further damage to our fishery. I hope you will stay involved.

For those who say nothing has worked and that nothing is being done, that is just not accurate. The dedicated few are even now working behind the scenes and not everything is talked about in public forms. We are lucky that this time we are going into a Federal Election in 2019. We used that very effectively during the Halibut Quota Wars and got a not insignificant concession out of the Harper Government.

My own view is that we are not going to reverse all of these recent attacks on small coastal communities, our economy and the opportunity to teach our children to fish, especially in the short term. We can I believe tweek them, if we make the Liberal Federal Government nervous. There are many ways we can do that which worked well in the past going into an election. We need to take them on in their riding's and energize our base in smaller communities all over the province, especially in the coastal communities. The NGO's are powerful and the Liberals are placating them by the recent attacks on coastal BC. Remember that the NGO's and the urban elites who support them are largely based in Vancouver and Victoria. We do not need to engage and go up against their strength directly. That does not mean that we cannot threaten the Liberal seats in those areas. Some of those Liberal seats were won by narrow margins. Our strengths is numbers and even in the lower mainland we have many who were harmed by this Liberal attack. We need to organize,, motivate and get out those voters and some of those Liberal seats are gone.

Hope you make it to the meeting tonight Stizzla and perhaps you would like to go out on my boat off Sooke sometime this summer and toss around some ideas.

PS I have noted a lot of DFO bashing in this and other related threads and I have done it myself in the past. I would suggest that we decrease doing that on this issue as it just insulates their bosses the Liberal Government from direct criticism and decreases their nervousness. On this issue we should direct our anger and criticism where it belongs and more importantly where it will do the most good. The message should be - If the liberal Government, does not support sport fishing, our quality of life and the economy of Coastal BC, we are going to do everything we can to harm your election chances everywhere we can. We will single issue vote and it will be anyone but a Liberal and perhaps the Greens. I don't think we can afford a protest vote for the Greens this time around.

Last edited:
Thsnks profisher, I value your opinion. As mentioned in my original post I am happy to hear all sides of this.
I think your scenario sounds like what would happen if it were Fox News and Donald Trump decided on fishing regulations. I don’t think our local stations are out to make us look bad. And even if, worse case scenario, if they do... what will that do to negatively impact us? If nothing changes, there will be even shittier fishing and then in 20-30 years it will be game over. I agree, I’m not the best person to represent us, but I’m potentially trying something. This needs to get to the public somehow, to pressure the government to make changes for the future of our fishery. I have never seen a commercial on TV or radio or anything in the newspaper ever about these pressing issues from the SVIAC or SFI. Many of us have never even heard of them until the last couple of months. What’s the next step then?

One thing folks who want to do something can do is to contact groups like SVIAC and SFI and ask them how you can help. Most groups likes this have small budgets and have a few overworked volunteers so volunteering ones time is a practical way to help.

Last edited:
One thing folks who want to do something is to contact groups like SVIAC and SFI and ask them how you can help. Most groups likes this have small budgets and have a few overworked volunteers so volunteering ones time is a practical way to help.

Great idea. They are the dedicated few.

Back